Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Watercooling stuff

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by SchwarzGeist, Jun 10, 2011

1. Jan 7, 2009
    Finally finished getting everything I need for it. Here's a rundown of what's going in:

CCW from top right: XSPC Rasa CPU block, XSPC Rasa GPU block, Danger Den fillport, silver killcoil

Swiftech MCR-220QP radiator with Scythe Kaze Jyuni 88 CFM fans

Jingway DP-1200 pump (aka Danger Den CPX-Pro)

Swiftech Micro Reservoir

^What it says on the tin.

Also got Bitspower Shining Silver 1/2" barbs for everything. I'm so anxious to get everything in and running (hopefully before summer classes start :dry: )
  2. Jun 23, 2010
    Should post up some pictures when your done installing it! :grin:

You should have got a bigger rad IMO :razz: But if not, you should get 2 more fan for a Push/Pull setup.
  3. Feb 21, 2007
    ya those fans are gonna be kinda noisy, 88cfm.....but keep them low, should be OK!..

nice looking so far... i did some watercooling in college but got out of it when i had to become more mobile
  4. Jan 7, 2009
    I plan on doing some sort of build log with pictures from each step as I go. As far as a bigger rad goes, I don't have space in my case for one. I might put a second 120 rad in back later on, but right now I don't want to overload the pump (2 blocks and a 240 rad in the loop), and I don't have the money for a second loop. I have an Antec 900, so I'm mounting the rad in the front in place of the HDD bays, and I'm going to use the stock case fans on the front of it and the Scythes on the back in push/pull.

Noise doesn't really bother me much, and it's not terribly loud as it is now. I have 10 fans in the case currently, counting CPU/VGA/RAM coolers and the front and side intake fans on medium and high. I guess to other people it might be loud, but I tend to tune it out even if I don't have music playing.

I was also thinking I wanted to get blue tubing instead of green, but they didn't have any in the right size at Microcenter and it would take too long to get here if I ordered some online.
  5. Oct 22, 2007
    a second loop would only be needed if you are doing gpu and that is a huge cost for the gain when you look at the block and everything to go in it. Ya you can use every thing but the block for the next set up but why not buy a better card or run crossfire or sli instead. Also i would stick with 120's on the rad, considering they are built for it and all... :wacko:
  6. Jun 23, 2010
    If you don't mind me asking, What GPU are you running on? You plan to OC?
  7. Jan 7, 2009
    Skiptron: I'm running an Intel Q9450 and a Geforce 9800GTX+, and yes I do plan to overclock. Will the radiator I have be insufficient for OCing?

Viva: Not sure what you were trying to tell me, but right now the GPU will be included; it'll be Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU > Res for the loop. What I meant earlier was that my case didn't have room for a larger rad, and I didn't want to add a second rad instead because I would need to run a second loop (which I don't have money for).
  8. Jun 23, 2010
    You should be fine OCing the Q9450. But I would get a better GPU and then OC it and put a 2nd loop on it.

So just save up some money, buy a new GPU (I recommend getting 560/6950 or higher to play modern games like BF3, MW3, etc. But that's just me :razz:)
    And then can buy another loop for your GPU and buy a bigger RAD while your at it. and get a Push/Pull setup going!

I recommend getting this Rad:

Other then that, you should be fine IMO.

Good luck! :grin:
  9. Jan 7, 2009
    I have everything planned out (where it's all going and such), I have the tubing cut to length, and the case is ready for cutting, sanding, priming, and painting. Took a few pictures which I'll post sooner or later.

And working on the laptop downstairs is pissing me off. Randomly moves the cursor around and fucks my typing all up. Ugh.
  10. Jun 23, 2010
    Is your hand on the track pad when you type? If not scan your laptop with Malwarebyte's.
  11. Jul 8, 2010
    Hey if you need to cool water or any other liquid I'd suggest a refrigerator.
  12. Jan 7, 2009
    It might be my hand hitting the pad; I'll try to type with my palms off the keyboard and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll check out that software.

Actually, we have one of those office watercooler things with the refillable 5-gallon jugs. Works pretty well and keeps the water very cool.

Edit: going home this weekend to hopefully finish it up and get it running.
  13. Jan 7, 2009
    Apologies for the massive necro, but I didn't want to make a completely new thread to post some pics.
    It's finished.

I have the radiator mounted in front via right-angle brackets, with the 2 Scythe fans in push-pull on the top, and the 2 Antec fans in push-pull on the bottom.