Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Website Hosting

Discussion in Web Development started by Ghost, Jan 31, 2013

1. May 14, 2011
    Well I asked brian this but I figured I might as well ask everyone.

I have tried go-daddy before but they were expensive and had a lot of downtime which wasn't very good.

Who would you recommend as a place to buy a domain and host it there.

I just need a basic package and a 1 click installation feature if possible.

Any help would be great.

There are so many reviews out there and I can't find a single host that has a clean record. Any host that looks good that I find has a few articles saying "X is a scam dont use!"

I'm starting to think its just rival hosting services making these sites.
  2. Apr 9, 2007

000webhost for free hosting. As far as paid, I'm not sure.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jun 4, 2006
      agree on namecheap for domain reg / whois protection. Can't say anything about free hosts. Only paid host I can mention is site5 but only because I haven't had experience with any other company as far as shared hosting goes in the past... 5 years or so. Godaddy is horrible though.
      • Aug 18, 2006
        I don't support GoDaddy just because they showed support for the SOPA legislation. Just goes to show what the company believes in. Doesn't really matter so much now as it didn't pass; but they lost thousands of customers over it. Their website is also one of the worst I've ever had to work with...

As Brian said, Site5 is good as long as you're not hosting any large websites. We had to switch from Site5 for that reason alone (they are enforcing resource usage).
        • May 14, 2011

Out of interest I see namecheap are doing hosting too.

Is there any benefit to doing everything with one site? I am quite new to all of this as you can probably tell.

Only thing namecheap lack in their hosting is a 1 month only of their cheapest tarrif hosting.

Also would I have to transfer my domain to site5 if I want to host with them?
        • Jun 4, 2006
          Yeah I moved all my domains off godaddy when that was going on. Glad I did too, namecheap has been great. Also their free (or ~3$ if it's not purchased with a reg or transfer) whois protection vs godaddy's $10 privacy protection is a nice bonus. On 10 domains that's $100/yr saved or $70 if you had to get 'em at $3 each.

Not that I can think of... who you use as your domain registrant and who you use as your web host are usually separate from my experience, but it's certainly not uncommon or wrong to have all the services from the same company if they'll suite your needs and have satisfactory service in all areas.

Site5 lacks this as well.

Generally all you need to do is set the nameservers on the domain to those of your host. So no, you don't transfer your domain to the host, it would remain at namecheap.
          • May 14, 2011
            Thanks a lot for everyones help.

I almost bought a hosting plan at fasthosts. As soon as I saw hidden fees popping up everywhere I ran away.

And btw I found this site: http://www.namecheapcoupons.com/

All of the codes work which is great.
          • May 20, 2011
            Did you purchase a package already? I have a couple of dedicated servers you can use for free. What you'll have to pay for, is the domain name you plan on using if you don't want to use my (sub)domains.
          • May 14, 2011
            Thanks for the offer but I am new to all of this and so want it all set up for me. I have enough spare PC parts to build a server but there's no point of me even building it for myself because I wouldn't know where to begin. Hence why I was asking for 1 click installation etc.
          • Jun 11, 2012
            I used Hostgator for a long time up to early last year where I let them go. They had some of the finest customer service I dealt with. I had all the thing I needed and was running couple of services until I decided to use my own box.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • May 6, 2012
              If there max 10 users on your site at a time, there cheap hosting like netfirms.com or hostmonster.com or any others that you can find while googling.
              Also be careful, they have rebate, so if you fill out the form, close the website and they sometime give you 60%+ off when you try to close your browser.

Even though website claim it unlimited bandwidth, it isn't they are all lies.
              You shouldn't expect for premium service when it dirty cheap obviously and don't buy those website if it for illegal activities against their TOS otherwise they take your money and close your account.

If you want to invest more there vps and dedicated server which are more fun, while the cost goes up exponentially, it also help for your website stability.
              My website had LOTS of traffic a few years ago, and my ads revenue doubled when I switched to a dedicated server as the time to load page was way faster.

Technically the crappy hosting for 1-5$/month have 250-500 website hosted on a single machine, if some of those website are CPU hungry, all other site on the machine suffer from it.
              They normally monitor them and whenever a site cause too much tension, they tend to contact the owner and tell them that they should move elsewhere.

If you feel like it, you can host your own site from home...
              Install apache and open your port 80 if it isn't blocked by your isp, than if your site grow, start paying $$
            • Feb 13, 2014
              Hostgator. I have a buddy who provides me an account on his space. Had zero issues. Manage another wraparound as a hobby for another buddy hosted by them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
            • Feb 3, 2012
              Thread was from a year ago. :razz: Arden bumped it.
            • Feb 13, 2014

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
            • May 6, 2012
              sorry again, didn't realize it was an old thread, I saw something about programming section, and there was so little thread...
              I though it was a new section, never even bothered looking at timestamp...