Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Well this is kind of nifty. (Steam becoming a FPS web browser)

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Clam Chowder, Sep 10, 2012

1. Nov 29, 2010
    http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/

This feature essentially turns your computer into a console, and steam will be fully compatible with a controller to navigate with.

So plug it into your tv and an xbox controller (or ps3) and use it like a console. And navigate the web like an fps using a reticule in the middle of the screen.

Rather nifty since I have a "56 tv hanging above my computer.

Though Daisywheel might take some getting used to.
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    Essentially worthless if you don't have a TV within cable reach of your computer. But cool concept.
  3. Aug 5, 2010
    There must be an Easteregg with HL3 on it somewhere in there.
  4. Apr 9, 2007
    Cool! Nice to see it launched today. There's actually a video if you're so inclined to find it.
  5. Jan 21, 2011
    If only the in-game browser was worth a shit. I really hope they fix it in this stuff.

Also, fuck controllers. There's a reason I adamantly despise console shooters.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Feb 14, 2012
      I can't stand joystick controls in a shooter. They feel so uncivilized.
    • Aug 1, 2011

I'm not sure how many people will go for it.
    • May 17, 2012
      theyre also testing that head set apparently too
    • Jun 20, 2012
    • Jun 4, 2006
      • Like Like x 1
      • Nov 29, 2010

The Good: The interface is extremely intuitive, responsive, simplistic and organized, everything is easy access and seamlessly integrates with my games. Daisy Wheel is a fantastic addition, with predictions and using full alphabet with the basic grammar symbols, typing on a controller never felt so natural (especially without the proprietary keyboard the PS3 and Xbox use). For a beta, I'm impressed.

The Bad: The web browser is slightly sluggish with the controls, and the post-game pop-ups cannot be dismissed with the controller.

Bottom Line: I'm very happy with what they've done with this, plugging this into my 56 inch tv and playing borderlands 2 hasn't been so much fun. (Of course you're going to have issues running non controller compatible games)
      • Nov 11, 2011
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Want to plug this into my big screen in the living room but I'm not sure if the $100+ WHDI kit is worth it.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Not sure you understand what I'm saying, or this post was irrelevant to mine, but my computer is well over 100ft from my living room, and even if I did have long enough cords, I wouldn't want a ton of cords running through my house that would most likely be tripped on. =P
          Post Merged, Sep 26, 2012
          Just finally saw what this was, and it's pretty genius imo. Microsoft is probably pissed that they didn't come up with it first.