Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Fixed what a great system

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by Dudu, Apr 26, 2014

1. Sep 15, 2012
    i come to server, play for a while and then im kicked to make room for donator while there are 10+ specs... the fuck? is this really the system u want? kicking players who carry important map items while there are 15 afk donators sitting in spec for hours? wake up fuckers (cant even play cuz im getting kicked every 10 min or even less)
    edit: this used to be pay2admin or pay2win before.. is it pay2play now?
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Apr 1, 2012

with the sheer abundance of donors running around in the server, yes, it's getting to p2play now. so join us!!! JOIN US!!!
      JOOINN US! IN THE GLORIOUS REVOLUTION!!
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Apr 3, 2013
        Yes, higher admins doesn't seem to be aware that the AFK Manager is AFK and doesn't make any effort whatsoever to fix it. But all you can do now is pay to play here
      • Mar 26, 2012
        If they paid money, they deserve to be able to sit in spectate. AFK manager kicks when the server is full and they are idling regardless of being an admin, donator, or a non paying player. I'm an admin and have been kicked several times when I forgot to disconnect after tabbing out.

I think whatever system we come up with people are gonna be unhappy somehow. I think this is the most fair for everyone.
      • Jun 4, 2006
        Where's the bug report? You made this last year http://plaguefest.com/threads/spectators.16688/ but it seems the conclusion to that was there was never anything wrong in the first place. Is there a new issue or something we're unaware of? If so, I suggest you make a bug report, or point us to one that's already made.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Apr 3, 2013
          I wouldn't say the AFK manager is broken, but it just seems to kick people at random or whenever it feels like. At peak hours I can often see non-donators rage in the chat about how there are a high number of spectators and it took them a long time to join in. One friend had a map important item but got kicked for donator slot. I know that reserved slot and AFK Manager are two different things, but shouldn't reserved slot's first priority be to kick spectators instead of players?
        • Jun 4, 2006
          It should yes, assuming all spectators aren't donators or admins. I'll check the plugin / talk with Kyle and ensure it's behaving as intended.
        • Nov 17, 2012
          I think the AFK manager should be ran more frequently. I hate seeing 20+ spectators when people are trying to join :3

Generally happens when a map has been lost so many rounds in a row and the rtv won't happen.
        • Mar 20, 2012
          It is just that sometimes 15 people are afk and get kicked at once later... And we had to wait like 20min(after server is full) until the afk manager starts to do something. If they are donator/admins and afk they can just connect ip anyway whenever they like, I don't see a problem when the afk manager would kick more frequently during peak hours(=server full).

When the afk-man kicks, it kicks everyone from nondonator -> root
          But I'm not sure about reservedslotskicks.. do we even see the messages anymore? I cant remember
        • Dec 17, 2007
          sounds like a lot of anger when this is just a game…calm down guy no server is perfect, this one has it's bugs and flaws just like every other server out there…if you're getting kicked to make room for a donator then why don't you get it yourself too?, the afk manager does work i've seen it kick multiple ppl at once, it's not going to kick ppl right away like everyone wants it too it's going to wait for a certain amount of time before kicking ppl…instead of bitching and calling everyone fuckers especially the management why don't you offer a solution to the problem and an actual way to fix it, other than that there are other servers out there if you don't like it
        • Apr 3, 2013
          I don't know about ZM, but ZE is very populated during nighttime. The AFK Manager does kick, but it doesn't always do it. When I go to another ZE server, I can see that there are few to none spectators taking up space.

His point is that players are getting kicked instead of afk spectators, and buying donator just to stay on the server doesn't seem quite fair imo
        • Feb 8, 2014
          I've privately voiced my concerns to a couple other admins about AFKMan as well. The general consensus is that most of the time the server isn't actually "full" when people are seeing a lot of specs, and the times it is actually at the point where it's considered full most of the specs aren't actually afk, they just don't want to play... so they're still typing/talking/doing stuff and AFKMan ignores them because they aren't... well... AFK.

It's definitely not a perfect system that would keep everyone happy. The only tweak I could even consider is to take into account how long someone has actually been in spectator, and if it's over a certain amount of time (30mins?) not even bother with the afk test. Good luck Brian!
        • Apr 9, 2007
          lol. I've even had such ignorance emailed to me, if you have a source document I'd love to read it.

No, you're totally right, the AFK system isn't perfect; unfortunately, it never can be.

This is what fucks us and everyone else in-game over. People join, idle all day, then simply leave. Not to use names, but I've definitely seen both Kloud and iProbie guilty of this, for instance.

This does indeed need to be more aggressive, but it needs to be a mixture. We had it set to way more, but it would kick people taking demos; which is usually bad news. Pretty sure we semi-solved this, everyone else just seems to want to watch and not play... I can fix this, but it's going to be a very large reversing project (at least 2 weeks). There were also a few SM blockers preventing this from actually happening; the patches haven't been pushed yet...

11 minutes, on the 12th minute they're evicted.

I'd like to know their solution, it's more player based then anything. However, when people have made this argument, I checked it out, and half the server (30 people) were spectators, constantly.
        • Sep 15, 2012
          the problem is not an afk manager, i dont really care about being kicked for being inactive and i think that NOBODY should be mad about being kicked for taking slots when there are people trying to PLAY, donators pay just to be AFK and normal players that want to PLAY cant play because there are just 15 ppl that paid to make everyone else mad, id suggest to make spectators the priority group that would be kicked if there are other donators that want to join.. its a game, if they want to watch people playing, they can just go on twitch.tv and watch loads of livestreams without making anyone mad because twitch has simply no limit for viewers as css has for players.. dont think u would understand how frustrated can an actual player be when he is kicked right before the end of round while carrying the most important thing to make the win happen, it doesnt fuck up only a single one, it fucks up another 50 ppl.. just to make another 14 ppl feel comfortable about their investment
        • Feb 27, 2012
          During last nights event, it just seemed some people didn't want to be zombies. I was constantly clearing out the AFK's to make more room. At one point there was 10 spectators (including myself) and as soon as the new round started, there were 0 spectators. Right now, if you aren't a donator, i'd recommend you just not getting an item during peak hours of the day until someone (Kyle) can see what can be done with AFK Man.
        • Feb 8, 2014
          So this post is about...?

Joking aside, the easiest fix is to allow admins to push spectators to play or be kicked if server is actually at full capacity; however, from my experience the server is rarely actually at full capacity. Most people are complaining about an over abundance of spectators when the server is showing ~45-55 people connected. Now, honestly I can say that I'm not really around at peak times lately, so i can't argue for those particular hours, but even when I do get on in the late evening and the server has a large population (but not full) people complain about specs and not being able to join when there are clearly ~10 slots available. Second easiest fix IMO is maybe tweak AFKMan to start after shorter time period?

Sorry if I'm just taking up space, but felt like this was the proper time to throw out some ideas.

This is actually the part of my signature. It was from last night's event.
        • Jan 21, 2011
          So if the server is full, afk man starts a timer before he gets to abuse kick afk people. Say someone rage quits before the timer gets to the 12 minute mark, so the server is no longer full. Does the timer stop because of this? Another player may join right away and the server will be back to full, but the AFK people get extra time being AFK because the timer reset. If this is the case, I don't think the timer should stop.
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Jan 30, 2013
            Problem with this is that it was an event, which not sitting in spec is usually a rule. Yes there was a few times I saw 64 players playing, or 0 specs. Most of the time the specs were players who upon death go to spec (because being zambie on events sucks imo), or some mothers who go afk to avoid being zombie the whole round *cough* me *cough*.

The issue he seems to point out is active players getting kicked instead of spectators, specially if they have items. It seems that RS should kick specs instead of players(coming from someone who specs alot), and when no specs are present, you cant join. Don't know how much has changed with these systems( so dont hold me against possibly wrong info), but it seems actives still get kicked, which I really don't think should be the case outside of, say, an admin+ joining.

And yes, AFK man needs a buff. Make the time before AFKman flags you as afk shorter possibly.
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Dec 17, 2007
              Honestly one way to really solve this, is to make so that admins are really the only one that are allowed to be in spec. I've seen this in other servers before where it was actually a rule that admins were only allowed to be in spec. If you think about it what does a regular player or donator for that matter need to be sitting in spec for to begin with, admins like myself do it constantly and that's bc i'm watching the server, checking up on players, recording demos and what not. It would cut down a lot on the amount of players that are idle and just sit in spec taking up server space, donators get a reserve slot to begin with and if they join just to sit in spec there really is no reason for it they should be joining to play. I honestly think that this is the best solution, bc admins are the one that really only need to be in spec, and all other can be done on a case by case basis.
            • Apr 9, 2007
              • Informative Informative x 2