Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

What are our schools coming to?

Discussion in In The News started by Vadleon, Jan 19, 2013

1. Jan 12, 2011
    Article -> http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/1...-threatening-to-shoot-girl-with-pink-toy-gun/

This is almost beyond words. Yes, it's one thing to talk to a student if they're having trouble with others so they don't snap and do something horrible, but we're talking about a KINDERGARTENER here. The school is obviously too eager to throw the book at any student who so much as looks at others funny, and I think this is just one instance where the school system is interpreting rules a bit too strictly.

Now it's of my opinion that "school," in a very broad sense, is a place for kids to make mistakes. Don't get me wrong, the manifest function is for kids to learn things academically, but they aren't full adults yet, so schools are more or less a testing ground for all kids to figure out who they are personally and socially until they are mature enough to find their own way. While they figure that all out they are bound to make some mistakes (marking the wrong answer on tests or starting a food fight, etc.), so the school serves a latent function by helping guide them through their difficulties and development. Even simple little norms or retorts kids pick up as they grow can result in lasting behaviors. Unfortunately, the interpretation and extrapolation of that last sentence is something of a double-edged sword in today's world.

So, is it possible for a 5 y.o. girl to wish harm on others? Probably in the form of bubbling excessively, or maybe in the ever more violent form of slapping someone (if you somehow got her THAT mad), but as the article points out she probably doesn't even understand what shooting and killing really means at this age. Would she even understand what a "terroristic threat" is? Sure, she could throw a fit, and maybe she could make another kid cry, but honestly who didn't during kindergarten? We were kids and we did stupid, immature things too at some point in our lives, but no where near the level of terrorism. So now in direct conflict with the process of growing up is a school system with a book of words and rules, which it is quite willing to distribute with little consideration for the context in which it is dealt. The school seems to be so afraid of its own population that it must immediately step on any mention of the word "gun" without first looking at who uttered it.

I support healthy guidance of good behaviors and nipping bad ones in the bud (how ever you decide to define either of those), but this is really over doing it. What ever happened to a simple sit-down with the teacher after class? I remember that used to scare me senseless back when I was young, so I can't imagine today's kids to have changed much in that regard. A slap on the wrist, so to speak, can go a long way in helping a kid figure out what they did wrong, correct it, and move on. Could you imagine how scarred you'd be at 5 if you had the school administration (and possibly police) searching and questioning you over a "terroristic threat"? I wouldn't be able to think of anything else for weeks to come, that's for sure.

TL;DR - Bullshit overreaction by a Pennsylvanian school and a complete lack of a nurturing educational environment.

So folks, what are your thoughts?
    • Agree Agree x 2
      Vadleon, Jan 19, 2013 Last edited by Vadleon, Jan 19, 2013
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Everyone is extremely nervous and it's getting more severe recently. 20 years ago you could buy your kid a plastic toy so they can play cowboy/police and indian/robber. I want that sentence not reflect my stance on gun control or not I just want people to realize that 30+ years ago BB Gun was a kid toy and that looked like a rifle and everybody was alright. Throughout the years kids have been so de-sensitize by media materials and parents not ready to guide their kids and leaving to the schools to act as their guidance.

So schools are not ready to teach this, new parents are becoming more relaxed in terms of parenting then what most of us had, and a society on the brink of nervousness in terms of any mention of gun.
    • Apr 1, 2012
      Americuh, it's all just a recent trend, just wait until some tragedy not caused by guns happen., our short sighted mind would switch its focus immediately.

E.g. A mass bombing killing (insert a number higher than 30) occurred, you're going to have your officials petitioning and rallying shit about increased funding on state security, war on terrorism, a search for another scapegoat or someone to blame and everybody is going to forget about shooting and gun control.
    • May 14, 2011
      I can guarantee you 100% that this child was not innocent. No teacher would be that stupid.

The child that was threatened must have been terrified.

I bet that the child didn't mention that it was a bubble gun.

I think the attorney is also over exaggerating.
    • May 31, 2012
      There is no way she had any idea of the incident or meant to harm another student. The other student did not call her out, it was overheard at a bus stop and they only cried when being interrogated (they're 5, of course they are gonna cry).

I would place my bets on she had no idea of the Sandy Hook incident. Hell, I was 11 when the 9/11 WTC bombing and I hardly knew what was going on; I can't even remember anything that happened while I was 5. If this had happened before the Sandy Hook incident, I am certain that they would have not taken the measures against the 5 year old as they have done now. She probably does not even know if guns are dangerous or not haha... she's a 5 year old!

I feel like this is a very terrible situation. This embarrassment will probably scar her for the rest of her life.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 15, 2011
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I'm so sick and tired of this shit, I don't even want to bother discussing this... Everything is so dumbfuck retarded in our school system.

My friend tells me this all of the time, now I know where he got it from. :laugh:
      • Mar 4, 2012
        30 years ago in America you could bring your hunting shotgun to school for shop class and the principal would go up to you check it out and then show you his firearm. Oh how times have changed.
      • Apr 9, 2012
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I laughed at how stupid that article was, this is why I'll be homeschooling my children. Public anything is just laughable at how stupid it all is.
      • May 15, 2011
        I agree, and home schooling is nice and all, but public schools are good for one thing, communication. You might learn jack shit from the classes, but being in school helps children develop social skills that are necessary for real life and work. It's not something they'll pick up naturally if they're just home schooled. From what I've seen, and I'm not attacking your decision. I think home schooling is a great method, and as retarded as public schools are, they do have a reasonable purpose.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Aug 18, 2006
          Make sure you teach them plenty of social skills. Homeschooling usually comes at a price of children not learning real world skills as easily.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
          • Jul 8, 2012
            I intend to, I'm not going to just wing ding it, I'll put my effort into the home schooling. It's not like they're never gonna have a chance to communicate and be locked to the house their whole life. There's alternatives to that ^-^
          • May 31, 2012
            Difficult to catch onto sarcasm when it's in text lmfao duh!