Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

What are the most recent AMD GPU's?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by JorisCeoen, Dec 16, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2012

For the first time since a long time I'm deciding to be upgrading my case again.
    At this moment I have:

- Operating System = MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    - CPU = Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
    - RAM = 8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
    - Motherboard = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P55A-UD3 (Socket 1156)
    - Graphics = Club 3D ATI Radeon HD 5870
    - Monitor(s) = Samsung SyncM B2230 + Philips FTV (Full HD@60Hz)

- Cooling:
    * 2x120mm ANTEC fans
    * 3xTriCoolLED ANTEC Fans
    * 1x120mm Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B SCMG-2100 (CPU Cooler)
    * Fan controller Scythe Kaze Q8 KQ02-BK-3.5

- Hard Drives
    * 1954GB Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0 ATA Device J: (SATA)
    * 977GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device F: (SATA)
    * 977GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device C: (SATA)
    * 977GB Lacie HD L: (FAT32 External Drive)

- Optical Drives
    * HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
    * PSDI 5Q7SXAVG9 SCSI CdRom Device
    * UDINC MN4XA3OXMJCT SCSI CdRom Device
    * UDINC MN4XA3OXMJCT SCSI CdRom Device (2)
    * HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GBC-H20N ATA Device

- Audio = ASUS Xonar D2 Audio Device

So yea basically, I've been waiting for AMD to release their new GPU's which were at first called the HD8000 series. Now just now I discovered they are already released for some time and they were basically rebrands of the HD7000 series, so in other words total garbadge. Now, the series that is apparantly the next GPU's that are upgraded over the HD7000/8000 series, is in fact something called 'The Rx 200' series.

I'm wondering if these are really the latest GPU's from AMD, in other words the currently most powerful GPU's they have to offer and successors of the AMD7000/8000 series with the so called 28nm.

So I'm just here to get confirmation over this, because I don't always believe what's being told in reviews and whatnot. @Brett you know most of this so I would like to ask your opinion. Also, I'm at the same moment looking for the newest CPU's that are much more powerful than the one I have right now.

I have heard numerous times of the Hashwell CPU's. I'm certaintly looking in the direction of the latest generation CPU's from Intel that provide the best possible at an affordable price (So I don't mean the best of the best, but the best according the the price I'm gonna mention right now).

I have not really a real price end, but I would if possible try to keep it below €600 (=826$).

So yea, because I at first wanted to have the 8000 series of the card I have now it would have been the HD8870. Because the Rx200 series are called the '9000 series' I guess I'm looking for the card that would be equivalent to the 'HD9870' version in the Rx200 family.

And about the CPU, I just want a CPU that is perfectly in balance to my GPU. Certainly a i7-core (not i5, no thanks no!! Even when you would give me 1 milliard pounds I would still not want an i5). i7 because I do so many tasks at the same time, such as mapping, video editting, listening to music, modelling and chrome and gimp all at the same time. I have enough RAM but I also could benefit from the Hyperthreading that the i7 provides.

Anyways, if someone could help me out, it would be much appreciated :smile:
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    I'm in a bit of a hurry here, I'll update this when I get back, but the newest line of GPUs are as follows in terms of performance:

GTX 760 = R9 270X
    GTX 770 = R9 280X
    GTX 780 < R9 290X (debatable though)
    GTX 780 Ti > R9 290X

The new R9 series just released and there ARE benchmarks that show them outperforming their respectable Nvidia competition, but it's only minimal. I'm expecting performance to increase because these drivers are brand new. With the HD7000 series we saw a 15-20% FPS bump with BF3 benchmarks on the 7950/7970, which was amazing. I wouldn't be surprised for drivers to mature and the R9's to jump ahead of the Nvidia competition.

I know that you mention that these are rebranded HD7000 series cards, but it's like Nvidia. The GTX 600/700 series are still the same architecture since the 500 series, and are just upgraded. It's the same with the R9 series, although THE R9 290X VERSION IS BRAND NEW ALTOGETHER. Another plus to the R9 series is that all of the cards are completely custom made, no reference boards, no reference designs. The GPU companies (ASUS/MSI/PowerColor/Sapphire/Gigabyte/etc.) all designed their own version of the card. You need to be careful with this as well because some will be far better than the others, for example, the new R9 280X Asus card is beefed up a fuckton, and can almost compete with the GTX 780. It is that powerful. Right now Nvidia cards are actually priced better as of recently, when the R9 series changed in price (probably to combat always going out of stock, I'm sure the cards will settle back down to $199, $299, and $499 (270x/280x/290x respectively). Like I said, I'll try to update more when I get back.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Apr 9, 2012
      Very interesting! It's good to hear those RX200 series are indeed as good as it seems. I have always been on the AMD side so I'm probably gonna stay there.

Most interesting is probably the mentioning of the different manufacturers as you explained. I have back in the time chosen for the Club 3D as it was then one of the best HD5870 version out there. I'm not sure if this is still the case for the RX200 version, but I hope they are as good as back when I bought my current card.

I looked at prices at Azerty.nl which is the closest manufacturer I can find with much cheaper prices than in Belgium (Belgium is so expensive compared to Netherlands) and the RX290X is just... over the top expensive. If I would ever go for a card it would very likely become the RX290.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      *R9 290X you mean. Just be sure to watch out for that, there's both a R9 290 and R9 290X. Manufacturers out in Europe/Russia are extremely different from ones here. I know they have Inno..? I think they're called that. Club3D doesn't show their face around here too much, but I know there's still ASUS/MSI, and those will be your best bet.

The only downside I don't like about the R9 series besides the fact that only some of the cards are brand new and not refreshes, is that their overclocking isn't as good as it used to be. Some cards still overclock great, but you have to be sure to find the right one (MSI Gaming OC edition and ASUS DirectCUII).
    • Apr 9, 2012
      I never OCed ever before, and I dont intend to do so either... Is that so much of importance in my case?
    • Aug 2, 2010
      I don't see why OC capabilities are important if you're not going to OC the cards. I'd just get the one from the manufacturer that offers the best bang for the buck.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Cards like the ASUS/DirectCUII are stock OC'd quite a bit, but they still run smoothly. You won't have to worry about OCing yourself I believe. There aren't any non-reference R9 290Xs though, so they'll be flat out stock clock out of the box.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      My direct manufacturer OC GTS 250 (poor uni me) still runs amazing. So don't worry bout it
    • Mar 29, 2012
      The 280x is litterly a stock 7970 with a new name
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Apr 9, 2012
        So Stock OC means they are already overclocked so I don't have to do anything? aka they have better performance than the standard GPU of the same name?
      • Mar 30, 2012
        I used to only buy AMD GPU's, until i realised how fucking shit the drivers and such are.
        moved to NVIDIA GPU's and been happy ever since.

I bet my GTX 680 still outplays the new RX fucks.
        I could be wrong tho.

Anyone who has one of these cards would be willing to run some benchmarks?
        I would really appreciate seeing those.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Your loss, HD7000 drivers had fewer problems than the 600 series. The 700 series was a little better. You're probably thinking of the HD6000 series from 2 years ago.

GTX 680 didn't even outperform the 7970, and the price still ran about $100 more. There was no overclocking headroom, there wasn't any decent SLI support, and to even do multi-monitors you needed the 4GB cards. At the time, these would cost you about $75 more than their 2GB version, while the 7970's 3GB default video memory did perfectly fine.
        • Informative Informative x 1
          Brett, Dec 17, 2013 Last edited by Brett, Dec 17, 2013
        • Mar 30, 2012
          I may be a bit behind on the AMD cards, and i'll take your word on it.

I'd still want to see some benchmarks on these new cards.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]

And here's some from Guru3D
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]

R9 290X, once it levels out in price (they upped in price to balance out the stock of cards). The 290X reference card (no aftermarket designs yet, except the custom 3fan cooler you can buy) will go for $499 or so, while the 780 is about $500-$550, and the 780Ti is a flat out $649 at launch.

My advice? Go for Nvidia if you're not looking to ever go above 1920x1080, they're usually neck and neck around that. Although, if you want to go higher, I suggest AMD, especially if you're debating 780 3GB vs. 290X 4GB. It'll usually pull ahead at higher resolutions.
        • Aug 2, 2010
          Interesting. I've only had 1 issue with my 6970s in Crossfire and that was when BF3 first came out. Aside from that, 0 issues and the cards are OC'd on top of that.

I'll be throwing in 2 290x cards into my rig in the near future.