Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

What Exactly Causes "Black/Pink Checkered Boxes"?

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Brett, Jan 14, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    I used to occasionally have the problem in the past where I start seeing the pink/black checkered boxes from missing textures or whatever, but they would fix themselves..... somehow. Well last night switching to 30 seconds on the Zombie Escape server, I started to see the black/pink checkered box for the "terrorist's win" pop-up when zombies won, and anytime I went underwater (the whole screen that would show anything underwater would actually be pink/black checkered). I wouldn't see it above water, only when my head went under, which was weird.

I did some Googling and found that not having games caused the problem, but it was weird because I didn't uninstall/install anything from when the problem started. I have all of the Half Life's, Counter Strikes, etc. installed just in case, but I still get the problem.

Could somebody shed some light on this for me if they have any idea what's going on?
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Aug 10, 2012
      I'd be guessing something might be wrong with some of your files and they aren't loading properly.
      But it probably is the custom textures failing to load, meaning, when you downloaded the map they didn't get installed correctly. But I'm not sure.
      Try verifying the integrity of the game's cache through the library and it might fix it.
      If it still isn't working, point out what maps this is happening on. If it is on all of them then it is probably your css and not the map itself.
      If it is for single maps only, try re-downloading them.
    • Feb 24, 2011
      It's kinda like a "default" texture the game shows whenever a brush/model/texture is missing. Your case sounds pretty odd though.
      Try checking the game cache as Kirito said.
    • Aug 18, 2006
      It can also happen if you alt+tab your game, especially during map load. Do you see any errors in console?
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Missing textures. This can happen if you change your video settings on the fly because it doesn't rebuild the internal material table.
      Post Merged, Jan 14, 2013
      Wow 3 responses "a moment ago", go us.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Didn't alt+tab and I've had the same max video settings since day 1 so it could be the map or the game itself. I downloaded the map pack via the donor's lounge, so I don't think there would be any problem but who knows. I'm going to verify the game cache and see if I run into the problem anymore.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      If you are having missing textures on the winning textures, it might be because they somehow corrupted. I didn't knew how them became corrupt, but in any case replacing with new ones did the job.
    • May 14, 2011
      To me it ALWAYS happens if I windows key out.

I have to avoid being out of game while that infamous lag spike while joining a server occurs.

If it happens rejoin the server at your next death or something.

Also it happens if a server cuts out; usually by an RTV and you are looking at water. You will see a reflection of what you last saw in the previous map in the water.

The checkered boxes also happen with the reflective image on glass.
    • May 31, 2012
      I usually see these checkers for sprays. Weird lol
    • Jul 13, 2008
      • Mar 12, 2008
        same goes for when someone sprays their spray, and leaves the server. it'll leave that pattern behind as it was in the map, but now it's not.
      • Sep 7, 2010
        Alright i am going to put all of the discussion to rest with one sentence.... the pink and black checkers means you are too cool for the bs mainstream textures most normals get.
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 31, 2012
          In what you're describing as them appearing in the water, it has been happening since the update. Syoudous has had the exact same problem, I believe.

[IMG]
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Yea I've seen that shit a couple of times... It's kind of horrible. When it happens, does something perhaps pop-up in the console? Maybe we should check that out next time it happens.
        • May 31, 2012
          It does. Syo has it written in the name of the screenshot @ steam and has been bugging me about it, but I can't remember now.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          This thread was created before the update, it was something completely different, but it managed to somehow fix it on its own.