Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

what kind of map do you like?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Campingzer, Jan 30, 2015

1. Jul 20, 2014
    so i recently made a new map named zm_lego_miniworld
    it seems like some people hated it because the size, and other reasons
    i made this thread to know what kind of map you like
    and it will be my next map.
    it will replace the lego miniworld map.
    thanks before.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Oct 13, 2011
      Big maps are boring, small maps are bad. It's just like a pizza dude, go with size medium always.
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Jul 20, 2014
      • Feb 25, 2014
      • Feb 8, 2013
        I play maps for their function instead of them looking nice. I would prefer gameplay over looks, but if you're able to do both, thumbs up for you. For looks, try to be original. You don't have to be 100%, but the more creativity from yourself, the better.
      • May 16, 2013
        Size medium? That's not what she said at all
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • May 15, 2011
          I don't expect you to read to much into it but a good map is generally one that's well rounded, both in gameplay and aesthetics. There's not much anyone can say to generalize what's good and what's bad, so much as you just need to create more maps, learn from your mistakes and your downfalls and grow from there. To help you out, though it's a lot to take in at once so pace it, read http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/ this and try going through any and all tutorials that either depend on Hammer, or basic level design theory. It'll help you a lot when trying to create something that people will enjoy playing as well look decent.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • Dec 27, 2012

Definitely size medium tho.
          • Feb 8, 2013
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Jun 11, 2012
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Oct 24, 2013
                I think there is a real lack of good cade maps.
                A lot of it ends up being crouching in a spot and holding down fire.
              • Jan 25, 2014

simular to wharf but maybe a spooky dock area
              • Nov 2, 2011
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • May 31, 2012
                  It's super nice that you want to try, but it's like trying to cook the same meal for 64 people: Not everybody likes the same thing. This becomes complex because that group of 64 is changing everyday so even if you got feedback from the first 64, their opinions might not be similar to the next group's opinions. Just make whatever you want because there are always going to be people who cry, and you will never be able to cater to them. I think making a really good map takes a lot of commitment, and it's got to be a map that you would really enjoy regardless of others opinions on it.
                  • Agree Agree x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Feb 8, 2013
                    This is very true. Even at this stage of my map, I've spent countless amount of hours on it. Hours that I've either gave up sleep, lost my time for my practices, and losing being able to have fun with my friends on DayZ or any other games. Strong commitment, being persistent, and devotion to the map will make the map a good map (usually). I may not like all of Soft Serve's maps, but his maps are insane beautiful and they catch peoples eyes. He took a lot of time to spare to mapping. This is one of his good attributes.
                  • Mar 10, 2014
                    Medium to smaller maps are best in my oppinion. Hide spots are nice as are places to hunker down and cade. Would be best with fewer secrets in map because too many just seems like over kill. Some of the ZM maps seems like mapper went a little too secret happy
                  • May 5, 2011
                    Have fun with your maps you make. Try and put some time and thought into, and don't throw a map together and hope its good. I'm still learning myself, and I still get some complaints about my map (even on my latest LBP map), but don't let it get to ya. Your map was good, may need a bit of a fix up but I know you have a creative mind! My goal is to not be like the rest of the map, I wanted to change it up with less cade and more of a 2-3 person spot (maybe more). Players are too used to the easy cades and easy spray spots (like red crates), but that's just me and what I feel to change a bit in ZM. Bring your style of mapping so you can gain experience in mapping and create your style of maps. Hope this helps.
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Oct 10, 2014
                    • Feb 27, 2012
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • Winner Winner x 1
                      • Aug 7, 2012

something with lots of buttons and puzzles is fun