Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

what makes a good zombie map?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by zerox913, Mar 12, 2012

1. Jul 5, 2008
    so im thinking about making a zombie map, but whats the theme?
    what are things you like in a good zombie map? and or what do you hate in them?
  2. Jan 8, 2012
    Secrets, limited but good ones, not a shit ton of dumb places to barricade that are almost impossible for zombies to get in. I've yet to see a map that's very equally balanced, cade wise. You got some tiny ass room, which is enough to squeeze a vending machine and human, and no zombie can possibly get in.

But not too dark, but not to bright aswell, zombie maps are kind of lame if their all bright and stuff. You don't see well lit rooms in zombie movies do you? Don't make a map so big it takes zombies forever to get from one side to the other, because you spend time trying to break one barricade and can't even get around to try others before the round is over because you have to walk so damn far.

PS I am thinking map for zm server, may be different for ze or whatever.
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Apr 2, 2011
      For ZM: I like cades and spots that would require you to look two ways at once to hold. I also like maps that are where you can see everything, and ones that aren't made to be total hellholes and shit. A zombie apocalypse can happen in nice places lol...

For ZE: I like maps that focus more on holding rather than running. I would rather have to fight may way through a retreat rather than turn and run for a good 30 seconds. I very much enjoy the hopeless feeling as you try desperately to hold the line long enough for your teammates to make it to the next area... or at least to a safer distance. I must be the only one that thinks like that though...
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Oct 17, 2011
        Make a good map theme like a super Mario map and it's what I am doing now but it might be hard for you but keep trying. There are Mario textures available on gamebanana if you want.Else, try to make fun things on the map and I don't encourage you to put a lot of secrets because others will get bored and leave and also as they said, make balanced cading areas and not the same spots. You can also add me on steam and I can help you just like I am helping other 4 people.
      • Jul 5, 2008
        lol thanks mario, but im no novice to mapping. i just have never made a zombie map. ive worked on tons of gg maps and maps for mods that never saw the light of day.

well i got some do's and donts and i dont wanna steal the mario theme... so what type of theme should i do?
        i dont want any overplayed theme, but something that would work well for an apacolypse.
      • Feb 9, 2012
        What about a 28 days/weeks later escape?

things i like in ZE maps (although some may find it lame, but this is what i like):
        -items: i think items make games a lot more interesting and it challenges people to use them correctly and wisely.
        -more hold points : god knows we hate maps where all u do is run, and barely any hold points.
        -a bit of climbing involved : this somewhat seperates the skilled and non-skilled players to the map.this being said, it's good to know who the good players are on the map.
        -teleports : this is pretty much a must. who wants to join a game late into the round only to find out you're gonna be nowhere near the humans anytime soon.
        -seperate paths : this gives people more choices
        -difficulties/levels : the game isn't too repetitive this way. a tiny change in the map's course with the difficulty would make it much better.
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Jul 28, 2011
          Try something that has never been done before. Take a risk :thumbsup:
        • May 15, 2011
          Something unique. Get funky and have fun. If you make it, they will come.

For ZM it's best to stay small too. If the map is too big and ornate it becomes a pain in the ass to learn and traverse. Just, keep it simple really.

That's for Zombie Mod. I only ever liked/played ze_boat_escape so I can't comment on it.
        • Jul 19, 2011
          No secrets!!! they draw attention away from the map itself.
        • Dec 30, 2011
          For ze, there's nothing like a good boss fight, several difficulty levels make it fun to play also

At the same time, it's got to be relatively simplistic, no twists or confusing game modes as we see with Paranoid
        • Feb 24, 2011
          My suggestion would go for something more nature-filled, a jungle maybe? With some beautiful waterfalls and caves, a village on a cliff and some placeable traps. I'm just giving out the first thing that comes to my head.
          As for the actual mapping:

Think about new possible things, instead of following the old formula over and over again. While still taking every single aspect of gameplay in mind, think about the backsides of your every move.
          There's a lot more to mapping than just detailing, although it is an important part because it attracts the players to it, and feels nice to look at. Since you're new to mapping i'd suggest looking up some tutorials, i got a few links right here:

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzwRf8m4n0&context=C44f26efADvjVQa1PpcFOv7vP4Z_5wp0BVBj7UNhWzln9NnY4ddrw=
          (keep going by this users videos for different examples of detailed lighting, fog and water)
          http://www.tophattwaffle.com/?page_id=62 (this is a great site for beginners within mapping)

If you come by any issues in the future, add me and i'll help you out.
          Good luck!

My apologies, i thought you were new within mapping as i misread "lol thanks mario, but im no novice to mapping."
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jan 29, 2012
            Thinking outside the box is usually a good way to start.
            You should start by making a ZM map, as ZE maps are a lot harder to start with. I learnt this the hard way.
          • Jul 4, 2011
            Zombie escape maps gets a lot more interesting in my opinion when there are items, holding spots (where you actually need to shoot the zombies in order to win) and maybe a boss fight.
          • Feb 14, 2012
            Zombie Escape maps need hold points. There is no fun in a map like potc were all you're doing is running 98% of the time. A hold point needs to be just that holdable, there needs to be some objects in the way that the zombies can get over but that the humans can knock the zombies behind to "hold" up their progress. Items are good but I find far to many maps like paranoid become unbalanced because of them (bird, push gun having to short a reload time on several different maps). A zombie escape should be about escaping / completing objects not about who can race to the most overpowered item.
          • Nov 2, 2011
            zerox is a very very experienced mapper, we don't need to tell him on how to make a map, all he need is an idea on a good zombie mod map.
          • Oct 29, 2010
            The best ZE map you can ever make:

A 1000 meter race to the end of the tunnel. Winner ascends up to the Throne of Ego.
          • Hevn
            This message by Hevn has been removed from public view. Deleted by yah00, Apr 7, 2012.
            Apr 7, 2012