Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

What the heck is this?

Discussion in Technical Support started by Emily, Jul 12, 2017

1. Mar 26, 2012

The moment I saw it, my first thought was malware, lol. Is anyone else getting this message? Anyone aware of it? My ISP is AT&T.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jul 13, 2011

edit; nvm wtf att
      Kables, Jul 12, 2017 Last edited by Kables, Jul 12, 2017
    • Aug 6, 2016
      Never seen a message like that, after trying to connect to this site...

I'm not with ATT and I have this same message.
      Isnukamex, Jul 12, 2017 Last edited by Isnukamex, Jul 12, 2017
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Cloudflare is creating this pop up, which is a service we use. Net neutrality only has a few days until it passes. Check it out, i would recommend petitioning it.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 4, 2006
        https://www.battleforthenet.com/
        https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/
        https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/ (has a quick 1 min video about it)

If you care about an open internet and don't want it to turn into something like cable TV where the content you see is up to your ISP, then help spread the word and let the FCC and Congress know that keeping net neutrality rules in place is important to you. You can do so easily at https://www.battleforthenet.com/

FWIW that's a very brief / simple explanation. Net neutrality protects against a lot of bullshit, such as traffic throttling, censorship, extra fees. So even though you're paying $100 for 50mbps - to use however you please, perhaps even within a data cap - without net neutrality your ISP could say "nah, we don't want you to access netflix with the internet you already pay handsomely for, so we're going to block netflix unless you upgrade to a more expensive plan which will still be at 50mbps but netflix won't be blocked or throttled. The more expensive plan will also unblock facebook, reddit, and wikipedia."

In addition to price gouging their customers more than they already do, they could also extort money out of sites or services. "Heya there Netflix, this is AT&T, ISP for over 150 million people... yeah so uh listen, we're going to throttle our customers connection when they're using your services to where it's barely usable and we'll blame it on you if any customers complain, as their internet will be fast on other services, so they'll likely end up moving to Hulu (which, full disclosure, is a partner of ours for our new streaming service that AT&T customers can bundle with their current internet for an additional fee). That is of course unless you throw some sweet benjamins our way. Like a lot of benjamins.". This could cause Netflix to offset the cost to their customers, causing price increases. Netflix is now large enough, that they could comfortably pay AT&T and get their service unthrottled and be done with it, but that small new startup that might one day be a great or better alternative to Netflix won't be able to and their service will suffer greatly, potentially to the point of putting them out of business. ISP's could also just downright block these services if they feel they're competing with their own services or their partners, or for any reason at all.

If net neutrality rules weren't in place when Netflix started, it's a very real possibility Netflix or Hulu or similar wouldn't be a thing today as cable companies would have done everything they possibly could to stop them, and they would have had way more legal recourse to do so, the kind of legal recourse they're trying to get now by getting rid of net neutrality. We'd have way more people still paying for shitty, ad-ridden, provider-controlled cable TV.

Again this is just the surface. I fully encourage everyone to do some reading on what net neutrality is and what losing it would mean for the future of the internet. If it doesn't inspire you to help fight this, I'm not sure what will.

Edit:
        If reading isn't your thing (or even if it is), this short video is a great overview. There's also an even shorter one on https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/ for those who only have a minute to spare.

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K88BU3kjZ-c

"Net neutrality is the concept that all traffic on the internet should be treated equally. At the moment the concept of net neutrality is protected under the so-called Title 2 designation, meaning that it is classified as a utility. That means it's similar to something like water or electricity. You can only charge for the resource used, you can't charge extra for what it is used for. You can't charge a premium if you decide to pour water into a glass and drink it versus using it to water your plants. That is obviously ridiculous, and yet abolition of net neutrality would allow for just that. The only people that the abolition of net neutrality benefits are the ISPs."
        • Informative Informative x 3
        • Like Like x 1
          Brian, Jul 12, 2017 Last edited by Brian, Jul 12, 2017
        • Apr 9, 2012
          I'm having this too, and I'm having it on many sites right now, it's incredibly intrusive...
        • Aug 6, 2016
          You completely ignored Brian's explanation. And wow, after reading that, it's kind of funny how to commentated those businesses. Aside from that, that seems like a horrid nightmare come to life. :frown: I don't want any of that... Thanks Brian.
        • Mar 29, 2015
          This only effect USA cuz i cant send in a thingo from aus? i got it too :frown: if its just usa tho thats chill... for me..
        • Apr 9, 2012
          I am SO tired that the entire internet is being under attack from so many directions. Even people ON the internet are attacking the internet as a whole. For me especially with the YouTube situation it's become one big HELLHOLE. And now we have this garbadge where they try to gauge out the competition on the internet for the slimy fucks once again.

I don't know what it is with 2017, but this has been the worst year of computer business from my perspective. Absolutely annoying. I don't understand what people nowadays are getting satisfied over, the majority now only seems to be so concerned about putting others in a shit position at the expensive of a ton of people's livelihoods. I'm tired of it.
        • Aug 6, 2016
          Life in 2017. If you put everyone else as far down as possibly, by default you are in a better position than them? Idk. I hope that doesn't happen. Reminds me of that Family Guy episode that had Peter make the whole world get censored.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Do people still not know this shit's happening yet? The fact that ISPs are still able to even attempt this is ridiculous.

Also:
          you'd be surprised how much the US influences other countries...
          • Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Dec 31, 2016
            started getting the same shit today, thought it was a virus on my computer. thank god lool:blahblahblah:
          • Mar 26, 2012
            @PVT.BUBBLZ I totally thought it was a virus too! That's why I posted it here, lol.

I was not aware until after I made this post. I had Googled the texted to see what's the story behind it. I also noticed that a lot of my friends on Facebook are now talking about it. I guess Cloudflare's campaign is being successful at bringing awareness and getting people to talk about it.
          • Jun 17, 2014
            • Aug 6, 2016
              Bapple. You really shouldn't reply, If you don't have anything useful to bring to the table. You weak ankled fella.
            • Jun 17, 2014
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Zing! Zing! x 1
              • Feb 6, 2017
                Any of you US guys has a VPN service to see if it makes a difference?