Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

What to do next before upload a finished map?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Sicachu, Nov 3, 2015

1. Jan 3, 2013
    I'm currently making a zm map, and it is 80% done so far. I would like to know are there any things I should know before uploading a finished map? I know for sure leaks and compiling must done, any others?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Oct 29, 2010
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feb 13, 2014
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Jan 3, 2013
          sorry I don't want to release the screenshots yet, but I will soon or later. All I can say is, it is not a small map.
          Post Merged, Nov 3, 2015
          What about optimize?
        • Feb 13, 2014
          That's okay I didn't want to play in it anyways. :razz:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
        • Jul 14, 2010
          As long as you meet all the guidelines for what pF requires for a map it should be fine. (64 spawns, no leaks, no crashes, etc..) FPS from a map will be based off how many people are in the server and there's only so much you can do. If you have the time and want to get nitty gritty, I'd read this guy's tutorials if you really wanna do some maximum optimization stuff, but otherwise it should be fine: http://www.tophattwaffle.com/tutorials/ (Scroll down to look over his stuff, lots of information).
          • Like Like x 1
          • Feb 24, 2011
            - 64 spawns, also check in (Map > Entity Report) that all your spawnpoints are in the correct location. I tend to put player spawns here/there to get a reference on how big things are in relation to the player, and usually forget to remove them.
            - Don't forget them buyzones.
            - Check compile log for eventual errors and whatnot, if you need help with this just hit me with a PM.
            - Run around/fool around the map and find stuff, try to break the map as far as possible.
            - Pakrat if you got custom stuff in the map.
            - Zip/Rar.
            - Upload.

All you can do when testing/checking in singleplayer is trying your best to find the more major flaws and prepare the map to be as perfect as possible.
            Though i'll say, don't expect the map to be completely flaw-free on first release. Once you got loads of people playing the map you'll find things that you'd never expect (in most cases). Let the map be played for a while and let people find more things that you need to fix/tweak/whatever, and then start working on a fix version. You could add stuff to the map if you want, but remember that adding stuff might draw in more unexpected flaws.

You can also just ignore the ramblings of the Swede and do whatever you want in life.
            :chic:
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Feb 8, 2013
              Nice to hear. Never knew you were capable. You already know what I'm looking in a ZM map. Make it happen - don't disappoint me. :thumbsup:
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Mar 8, 2013

• Funny Funny x 1
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  • func_detail all displacements
                  • add at least one alpha map to each texture, generate a bumpmap for each and put the minimum clamp to 4096x4096
                  • Only use func_occluders for optimisation, nothing else! If that fails, make sure put one big func_viscluster all around your level.
                  • remove all lights and replace them with light_dynamic
                  • put all the origin nodes of the triggers and brush entities outside of the skybox, you don't want those in the actual level
                  • compress all sounds to .wav with 96Khz and uncompressed sound quality in surround 5.1
                  • put a whole box around your level with the skybox texture
                  • set the lightmap scale to 1
                  There are other things very beneficial for your level, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Winner Winner x 1
                  • Zing! Zing! x 1
                  • Feb 24, 2011
                    [IMG]
                    • Funny Funny x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Jan 3, 2013
                      So now I'm finished with my map construction buildings. Now I need to add things to it. I'm now confused about what class to pick for certain props, like vendy machines, bookcase, and shelves. They all seem to be different classes. Can you guys help me out what classes are each of them. I'm confused between props_physics and props_physics_override.
                      It will be helpful for me, if you type a lists of classes which to use.:heart:
                      Sicachu, Nov 4, 2015 Last edited by Sicachu, Nov 4, 2015
                    • Jan 3, 2013
                      Also I would like to make my building interior to be dark, can someone tell me how. I don't know which one is it in http://www.tophattwaffle.com/tutorials/
                      If you know which one, can you please tell me which tutorial it is. Thanks.:kiss:
                    • Jul 20, 2014
                      i've been using props_physics_override for zombie mod props, and i think those are solid props.
                      prop_static is used as a solid prop that won't move, such as red crate in zm_lila_panic_l_v3
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Feb 8, 2013
                        I already forgot everything about hammer.
                      • Feb 27, 2012
                        These and regular prop_physics are "solid" props.
                        prop_physics_multiplayer are "glitchable" props.

they're both the same thing. It's just that _override will force a model to be a physics model. If it wasn't rendered by the creator to be a physics model, then it will not show up in game if you make it a prop_physics. Hence why prop_physics_override was created. Prop_physics_multiplayer will also force a model to be a physics prop as well, even if it isn't meant to be one. Although i could be wrong about that one. Basically if you're going to use solid props, it's just easier if you make them all prop_physics_override. There is literally no difference in using it or not. It doesn't take up any more resources or anything at all. The same goes for prop_dynamic and prop_dynamic_override.

Now, prop_static vs prop_dynamic & prop_dynamic override, there is a big difference. Basically what you need to know is that Static props are much less expensive to render, so if you are using a model that doesn't move and it supports static properties, then make it a static prop. If not, oh well, just make it a dynamic prop. When you load your map after launch, you might get errors printed to your console saying certain props were removed from your map because they are using an invalid class (such as it not supporting prop_static) which, obviously, means you have to choose a different entity for your prop. To see if a prop supports static, you can look here. Sometimes it has static ticked off, but it doesn't actually work in game, so i wouldn't always follow this. It would be better if you just tested each model out in game, and see what you need to fix as you go along. From what i noticed, if it has Dynamic and Static ticked, it supports static and dynamic. If it just has static ticked, it supports Static. If it has Physics and Static ticked, it only supports Physics. It's weird. The model in my example works as a static model.

Jumping back to cade props, i suggesting making a good mixture of glitchable props and solid props. If you just use solid props, it can make spots very OP. But if you just use glitchable, it makes cades useless.... @Soft Serve taught me to do this and he does it very well.

@Sicachu if you use Pakrat i will murder you. Use VIDE, it's much better.
                        http://www.tophattwaffle.com/packing-custom-content-using-vide-in-steampipe/

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Does your map have any lighting at all? Or is it just fully bright?
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Winner Winner x 1
                        • Jan 3, 2013
                          @Tony The Tiger thanks, very helpful information above.
                          It's fully bright. Currently I do not have lights yet, But I will do when I'm done with other stuffs in the map. I want to make the building interior dark like in "zm_lila_panic" where it's dark so it looks spooky.
                          I have asked Luff about this, from what I understand from what he is saying is, make the texture of the wall dark, and make lights so it glows. Maybe I'm wrong idk.
                        • Feb 27, 2012
                          When you start adding lighting to your map is when you'll have to start messing with this. You'll have to add several "light" entities and adjust their colors, effects, and brightness. It all just takes a little messing around with, and how detailed you want to get with it.
                          • Useful Useful x 1
                          • Feb 24, 2011
                            If you are intent on keeping the map fullbright, the way to make something "look" dark would be by using a dark texture (you'd probably need to use/make some custom textures for this).
                            However, as i mentioned earlier the players/props will still look fullbright (unless you were to fiddle with some triggers inside/outside the house that changes the players "rendercolor" from 255 255 255 to like 10 10 10/whatever).

But since you're going to add lights later, just don't bother with the texture thing at all. Fiddling with such fiddlery just to add lights later on feels pretty pointless. Having real lights in the map is the way to go imo.
                            For the interior part i'd suggest changing the brightness from 200 to something around 20-50 as a good starting point. It depends on how many lights you'll have inside and whatnot, or you could just simply ignore having interior lights whatsoever.
                            All in all, it's ultimately your call.
                            • Useful Useful x 1