Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

When is Hyperscrolling and/or Scripting enforced?

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Mod started by tfreeman451, Apr 16, 2017

1. Apr 9, 2007
    So ban the clowns and move on? If it's @Bapple™ and he's doing things like this, just ban the guy and move on. We don't need another @Orange.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Oct 29, 2010
      I don't think we want to have different admins enforcing different interpretations of the rules to this degree.

Though, we could still ban @Bapple™ as an exception.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Jul 26, 2016
        This is what the guide includes, this is the guideline I use personally (it's for that, no?).
        It also says:
        So what's with this?

Maybe I am dumb here, or don't see what the guide is for, but it's basically something illegal. I just don't like contradictions.

But I agree with this (which I think was actually the point of this whole post):

• Oct 11, 2013
        This seems extreme but I'll accept the compromise.
      • Jun 17, 2014
        • Zing! Zing! x 1
        • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
        • Apr 26, 2015
          Can we just disable bhopping and call it a day already.
          • Artistic Artistic x 1
          • Jan 21, 2011
            It'll still be busted because of the jump boost admins/donors have.
          • Jul 26, 2016
            If you don't want to solve the problem, you throw everything in the garbage just cause you don't want to bother?
          • Dec 27, 2012
            I think you're missing the fact that humans have access to more appropriate weapons than just knives. P90's knockback makes it quite tough for zombies to reach humans on the run, with or without scripts/macros/hyperscroller/whatever.
          • Apr 26, 2015
            You're probably glancing over that my comment was a joke.

I'm just tired of the argument going nowhere. I've already made my points in this thread. Momo is right, macros shouldn't be allowed if people are gaining advantage with bhopping. Go watch Saddam and his friends who are using the same NV toggle when they bhop. Here is what this thread has already boiled down to: Scripts don't work anymore apparently, but aren't allowed. Macros work, and they're allowed. I also don't see the point in banning anyone abusing macros if the current stance is that they're allowed. I've already made my case about this in the past and provided demos and all that jazz.

You're crazy if you think that. Or you've never played when someone bhops into a red crate and kills 6 people in there with their glorious p90 knockback.
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Jul 26, 2016
              I'm sorry, but I can't hear the irony in it, in fact I can only read it.

I don't understand why anything other than the legit ways have been allowed in the first place.
            • Feb 6, 2017
              Well clearly you have never been repeatedly raped by saddam (and a handful of other guys who's names escape me) who could easily bhop so fast 15 guys with P90's couldn't do jack shit.

It's been a while since I've seen him around tho.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Zing! Zing! x 1
              • Jul 26, 2016
                Bhopping into red crates is only one thing. And it can be done without anything other than a mwheel. Bhopping is really useful, as a human and as a zombie as well, but only if it's done legitly. Anything over that is clearly cheating.
              • Feb 27, 2012
                I'm not defending anybody, i asked for proof of him actually cheating. You say you actually witnessed him doing it, and i am interested in seeing this if it is true.

You're totally right. If someone has a constant pattern like 70 70 70 70 70 70, they're probably cheating to bhop. Same with patterns, like 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2. And i also agree with you that people should spectate players anyway.

They both work, but they are definitely not effective. Again, someone using a macro or a script will not do very well at bhopping.

Perhaps Saddam actually is hacking. I don't doubt the possibility that someone would code a neat private hack that is undetected for Saddam for example. Anything is possible.

IIRC back when we added this I was talking to Brian and we agreed that punishing people for hyperscrolling would be dumb, but if it's causing this much of an issue that can always be changed. Plus i don't think we thought much of it at the time until people started using it to troll. As i said in a few posts in this thread, admins definitely need to stop trolling the plugin for sure. I'm only one person, and my word isn't final, so if everyone else agrees that we should punish for it, then so be it.
              • Nov 20, 2013
                saddam, vicarious, danxity... who more??? his bhop is insane.
              • Aug 6, 2016
                I am torn between this. On one hand, it would take the fun away from a lot of regulars and players that have been here for a long time and actually do help keep the community going in multiple ways.
                On the other hand, it STRONGLY pushes new players away from the server and community when players like Danxity, Tim, Bill, SadDam and however long the list has to be can simply use macros/hyperscroll combined with the godly pushback of the p90 against the humans and take down a whole 7 man team, by themself. This example is coming from the rooftops on Firewall, of course.
                I have a screenshot of me trying to explain this to one of the players in said list, after a player left for this exact reason and their reply was something along the lines of "Good, that's what I want. I hope they don't come back." So, I would rather this feature be gone and not the players.
              • Nov 20, 2013
                Bill is a legend. @Sicachu know better
                • Agree Agree x 3
                • Dec 27, 2012
                  So, people with the authority to change some of the rules need to take action here. Should we continue to allow hyperscrolling, or not?

I personally don't care either way, but I have to say that all of this sounds a little...excessive. There are actually not many situations where hyperscrolling completely outperforms a mousewheel, because most players rely on runboosting and bunny hopping down a slope to gain more momentum anyway. When chasing a human, sure, hyperscroller does outperform a mousewheel but all in all that doesn't matter because the human is equipped with a proper weapon. Hyperscrolling or not, I'd imagine it would be difficult regardless chasing a guy with a P90 even when damage-boosting.

There aren't many situations where I'd say that hyperscrolling is "unfair". Most of the ridiculous jumps you see people do is either a runboost or a bunny hop from a slope somewhere on the map, and both are rather easily done by using a regular mousewheel.

I'm not defending people using hyperscrollers, I just don't see why this discussion is such a big deal with all of these points considered among others.
                • Aug 8, 2010
                  someone make a map called zm_hyperscrollarena for the new hyperscroll PF server :grin:
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • May 31, 2012
                    We had this discussion in another community where I had been leadership. I could clearly see how damaging and tainted admins became after seeing jumps, and it justified many of their bad decisions as they stray away from community orientation to add a ban to their scorecards. Take a look at the .sp file for jumps and you'll see exactly as @Tony The Tiger says: Jumps is flawed and is only a tool to support intuition. If any of you were here for bhopping in Zombie Escape, then we all know that enforcement and technical changes to prevent it caused more harm than good as legitimate people were tagged by it. It's as @Vicarious is saying right above: Is it really that bad? I mean... it genuinely is something to frown upon when someone has negative intentions (I agree with you), but it's not a game changer; it's not ruining the game or the community, and enforcing it has (in other conceptually similar circumstances) and could.

There are tradeoffs for every decision that is made. The world isn't perfect and steering it to the extreme ends has associated costs. Being a part of leadership is finding that sweet spot in a complex world (meaning it is constantly changing) where you're going to have to allow some things that are not the most virtuous, but it also allows the team to be community oriented and robust; having tolerances will include more people in a band of fun where they wouldn't make it pass the usual threshold of a system... if following the rules down to the letter is the better system, then why even bother having admins (rhetorical); the management team should just focus on writing scripts that automatically bans people upon breaking any rules.
                    • Agree Agree x 1