Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Which Laptop I Should Buy?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by PhantomBlack, Sep 25, 2012

Which Gaming Laptop I Should Buy?

Alienware 1 vote(s) 7.7%
Asus Gaming Book G75VW 6 vote(s) 46.2%
The Choice Is Yours 6 vote(s) 46.2%
  1. Mar 10, 2012
    • Intel®3rd generation Core™ i7 processors and the latest NVIDIA® enthusiast-level graphics
    • Intelligent rear-vented cooling exhausts with detachable fan filters
    • Superior ergonomic design for effortless gaming
    • Immersive 3D experience with NVIDIA® 3D LightBoost™ technology
    • SonicMaster Lite powerful audio with built-in subwoofer
    Alienware M14x Gaming Laptop
    • 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
    • Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)
    • 14.0" (35.56 cm) WLED HD+ (900p) display (1600X900)
    • 8GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    • 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
    • 2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce®GT 650M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology
    • Slot Load 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
    • 1-year InHome Service with Accidental Damage Service
    • 2.92kg3
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    [I was making a suggestion about what I thought on the subject.]
    Canadian Moose, Sep 25, 2012 Last edited by Never Enough, Sep 25, 2012
  3. Nov 29, 2010
    It's never a good idea to invest the money into a gaming laptop. Since you're spending another $500 on portability/brand name.

If you really insist into buying a laptop that can run games, I'd just by one of the top-rated ultrabooks. Cheaper and decent performance for price.

There are very many cons into getting a gaming laptop, for one, they have powerful hardware that require huge batteries, so they will be very heavy and have a short battery life (2-4 hours). Secondly they have a shorter lifespan than a typical laptop since the hardware is not optimally cooled in such a compact package, as such they will overheat a lot if being used for an extended period of time.

"But I want portable gaming" I'm sorry, but playing games at school does not rub well with me, that's why a lot of people buy them, and that's how they get bad grades. You're better in the future to invest into a gaming desktop and then saving for an ultrabook.
  4. Apr 9, 2012
    My advice is simple: Alienware is 500$ more simply because the computer has the name 'Alienware'

So of course, go for the other one. There are hardly any Alienwares better than other laptops and especially not desktops, and if you believed that because the first the best unwarry customer didn't researched info about Alienware and said you that, you should know that you have been froobed.

In any case, no lies there: Do not buy Alienware.
  5. Apr 14, 2011
    Is it only a gaming platform?
    Do you have to have a laptop, if so why?
    Can you use a desktop?
    What are you looking to get out of it?
    How much do you want to spend?
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    As what @Never Enough said, you should really get a desktop.

If you ABSOLUTELY need a laptop, then don't ever get an Alienware. Pick up one of those nice Asus or MSI gaming ones on Newegg.
  7. May 15, 2011
    I has ASUS G74, it is great. It looks sexy, it gets high graphics, and it runs well, unless you abuse it like I do. :giggle: In which, it starts getting fucked up about 3 or 4 years later. As long as you take care of it, it'll do just fine. I don't know about the G75 though. I looked at it once, but when I noticed how much smaller it was to the G74, I was put off. This might not be the same for you, however.

But yes, if you really don't need a laptop, it's best not to get any. Ever.
  8. Sep 20, 2012
    Agreed, I also have an asus laptop and it has been running great for the past two years. Asus also has a great warranty out of the box for the first year. I had a problem with my network adapter 3 months after purchase and they replaced free of charge.
  9. May 15, 2011
    For an extra 300 you can get the lifetime warranty. So if your ASUS breaks down or it just starts fucking up, you can bring it in and have it replaced with the newest model available. Basically, I get every new model when my laptop breaks, for free-ish!. ^^
  10. Oct 29, 2010
    He's not asking IF he should get a gaming laptop, he's asking which one. I assume you guys realized that and decided to answer like idiots anyway, cool!

I've had an Asus G73 for a good while now, for the most part it's great and work wouldn't be the same without it. There were some problems with overheating on the G73 line, so that kinda sucks every once in a while.

I believe @Josh recently got a G75, perhaps he can share how his is going.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Yeah... I was thinking "what the fuck is it with these 'hey get a desktop instead' comments, he wants a laptop."

If I had to choose between the ASUS or the Alienware, definitely the ASUS. They are really well built laptops with good specs. I personally like the Qosmio X870. I am planning on getting it but I still got to pay my student loans =| Hard choice. :razz:
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Only making a suggestion, after which I still stayed on topic with the OP and suggested a group of laptops to get. No need to rustle the jimmies in this topic too :shock:
    • Mar 16, 2008
      I do a lot of graphic editing and I take my laptop with me when I do photo shoot. Here is what I've had.
      G73JH-A1 (8GB RAM) with (1GB VRAM). Could run everything on High but not max
      I upgraded during the summer to the G75 with (16GB RAM) and (2GB VRAM). I can easily run everything on max now.
    • Jul 16, 2012
    • Mar 16, 2008
      each one was $1700. Two years apart from each other.
    • Jul 16, 2012
      Wow that's expensive. But you said you do photo shoots. What kind of photo shoots do you do if I may ask? And I bet your computer runs exceptionally well.
    • Oct 29, 2010
      If you're gonna buy a gaming laptop (IT'S GONNA GET HOT AND HEAVY), please invest in a good cooling pad while you are at it. The Zalmans, Antecs, NZXT's, etc. are all good buys IMO.

Also, 10 posts away from magic number 1000 :bugeyes: