Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Why do i experience this while playing ZE?

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Arsis, Apr 13, 2012

1. Feb 12, 2012
    I like playing ZE from time to time but i barely go on because on some maps i would like to say I lag but my pings fine, it also happens when a lot of zombies are on fire or a lot of humans are shooting and standing all in a big group. I would think its my graphics card but I dunno? I'm not too good with stuff inside my computer other then the basics. My computer is a little out dated to.

My specs:
    Windows xp
    3gb ram
    Intel Pentium
    ATI Radeon X600 256mb

(Nothing in this computer is modified other then I added some ram, its a basic Dell Dimension E510)

I can buy a new graphics card if needed to.
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    You need a better CPU. Why you have a beefy vid card like that combined with a bottleneck'd cpu is beyond me. More ram would be good too, but seeing as you're on XP, you're presumably 32bit, if you want more than 4gb you're looking at an upgrade to Win 7 x64 (xp x64 is a nightmare). At this point go for 4-6gb ram (you might need a new motherboard though... especially with your new CPU if you get one, a mobo with a compatible socket) - at this point you're probably gonna need brand new ram unless you get a mobo that supports your new CPU and your old ram + new sticks you put in, but most likely you're going to throw DDR3 in there, 3x 2gb sticks. Basically a new computer minus the video card, psu, hd, case, etc. Just wrote this quickly, others will be able to give you more precise and $ saving advice. Also advice to deal with your CURRENT setup to improve performance. If you want to know if your gfx settings / vid card are struggling enable net_graph and watch your fps. Additionally to see how much memory CSS uses at those times keep task manager open and watch the memory use, and the CPU use. This will help you decipher where the bottleneck is.
  3. Apr 9, 2007
  4. Jun 4, 2006
    lol I knew you'd disagree.
  5. Apr 9, 2007
    Sound in Windows 7 is a nightmare. You know that along with everyone else when your sound dies.
  6. Jun 4, 2006
    That's not 7's fault, that's this god awful interface I have. 7 makes a lot of shit insanely easy that were just tedious with XP. Also the compatibility with devices is insanely better.
  7. Apr 9, 2007
    Actually they redid audio support completely for 7. That's why Creative Sound Cards in particular have such god awful issues.
  8. Feb 12, 2012
    Lol that's how i bought this pc straight from dell so it was their choice with the graphics card, also would just buying a new comp be better? Anyways thanks for the advice!
  9. Jun 4, 2006
    hah, coming from dell can't say I'm too surprised but that's a bit of an odd combo. And I don't know, you have to weigh your options. You might end up needing more than just a single part.. and one part addition might lead to another one, e.g. needing a PSU with more power. If you've never built a PC or replaced parts, you might want to skip the headache of figuring out what you need / what will work and go for a custom build via some website (presuming you get a new pc). You may not need a new computer at all if you just inspect your current setup and attempt to improve performance (wiping it out clean is always an option). You're gonna have to research this a bit. You might be able to get away with a cleaning (format, whatever), simple part replacement, or perhaps not. Think about the future too, this could be an opportune time for a new beast... again, weigh your options.
  10. Apr 9, 2007
    Can you handle reformatting?
  11. Feb 12, 2012
    Yea I guess, I have everything important on my laptop anyways.
  12. Feb 14, 2012
    Holy fuck someone is still running a single core!? That's your problem.
  13. Feb 12, 2012
    The only thing I ever replaced/added in my PC was more ram from 1gb to 3gb, so i think buying/customizing a new comp might be a good option, but I wanna see how @Kyle advice would help.
  14. Jun 4, 2006
    Definitely. Only resort to buying new hardware after you've explored other possible avenues to improve your current performance.
  15. Oct 29, 2010
    I have a really hard time believing Dell put a 5970 into that computer, might want to double check what video card you have.
  16. Feb 12, 2012
    I opened the control center for ATI and the first thing that popped up was that, so I thought so?

Also how would reformating help me?
  17. Apr 9, 2007
    Windows kills itself over time.
  18. Nov 11, 2011
    Win7 has many ups and but many downs (they've removed a shit load of features which I find to be useful). XP X64 is horrendous for hardware compatibility. If you get it to work, then you're golden, if not, you're in for some manual inf installations. I found XP to be the most well-rounded OS produced by Windows and I would downgrade to x64 version of it in a heartbeat but the drivers are a huge issue.

Your CPU is bottlenecked beyond belief. You need to upgrade the CPU and you should see a significant improvement.
  19. Feb 12, 2012
    Is their any other way checking beside going to the control center?
  20. McKay
    This message by McKay has been removed from public view. Deleted by McKay, Apr 14, 2012.
    Apr 14, 2012
  21. Feb 9, 2012
    Go to your display settings, usually itll tell you what graphic card you're using.

or go to Run>(type in) device> go to display> check what graphic card

Also as mentioned above, it is also likely due to you having a single core cpu. try getting an i5,i7, duo core, or quad core. those will significantly help your computer speed.