Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Why is this happening to my skybox?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Arsis, Apr 26, 2012

1. Feb 12, 2012
    I asked a few mappers and they have no idea, so whats the problem? And yes i do have a skybox in there.
    Capture
  2. Nov 2, 2011
  3. Feb 12, 2012
  4. Oct 17, 2011
    Click map and then load point file. A red line will point you on where the leak is.
  6. Feb 12, 2012
  7. May 5, 2011

What this program does is it runs your map like how hammer would run your maps. Just find your .vmf and run it in whatever mode you want. The amazing part is that this program finds the errors in your maps before it is fully compile, plus you can cancel the compile, fix then recompile :smile:

Need any help let me know.
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      No need for such a complex program. Just compile with Lowest settings possible and check if you have a leak, it should create a point file anyway if you do. I wonder why your sky box behaved like that, are you sure you didn't completely forget the skybox cause it looks like your staring into space.

"I asked a few mappers and they have no idea, so whats the problem? And yes i do have a skybox in there."
      ^^ Are you sure they were mappers? This is almost basic.
      Ghost, Apr 27, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Apr 27, 2012
    • May 15, 2011
      IIRC, your skybox does not behave like this just because you have a leak. I think your problem is that the skybox texture is A. Missing or B. Not properly named. As in, if you go to Map<Properties, the name of the skybox being used should be 'lunarsky_01'. Perhaps it is named wrong, or you do not have it installed on the computer you are using. But really, never have I seen a Skybox behave like this due to a Leak, cause I have seen tons of leaked maps that have functioning Skybox's.
    • May 14, 2011
      I have experienced a missing texture skybox and it is not that. I presume he has just forgotten to add a skybox, or its a compile error, or maybe hes looking at water.
    • Dec 3, 2011
      This guy is kinda not good for explain stuff lol :razz: he doesnt even know why a water lod control exist nor he doesnt use the cubemap to select the face of the water... better of with rocketrascal34, he explain stuff quite good and is a great mapper.
    • May 14, 2011
      Once i get my new headphones i will start making tuts for these sorts of things, hopefully I can get a nice channel going. Ive got a good english accent and i know quite a bit and i can link to lots of mappers as well.
    • May 14, 2011
      I think me and Dirt worked it out, I dont think its a HDR skybox, so if you compile in HDR it will fail, try comipling in LDR and post the result here.

EDIT: I just realised what you have wrong there, Its happened to me before, this happens if you ahve a water brush crossing the skybox. Should fix the problem, just find the brush.
    • May 15, 2011
      Ugh. Just tested the HDR compatibility and the water thing. Will try more things to duplicate what happened to you so we can solve this.
    • May 14, 2011
      Try a func_ crossing the skybox. Especially an invisible func_brush
    • Dec 3, 2011
      This could help a lot of mappers yes, although i know myself already a lot this could be verry useful for new mappers. Keep it fresh and always explain things good, then u will get many vieuwers.
    • May 15, 2011
      K, so it is a missing Skybox Texture. You must be compiling on a different computer than your Skybox texture is installed on. Or you are testing the map on a computer that does not have your Skybox texture.
    • Feb 12, 2012
      im on the same computer that i built the map with.
    • May 15, 2011
      Copy your entire map and create a new map by going file<New and pasting it into that new map. Save it and try compiling again. If that doesn't work Get on Team Viewer and I'll check the materials folder if it is in the correct directory. Also, post your Compile log. Gives us something to work with.
    • Feb 12, 2012
      ok ill try and if i got a problem ill msg u on steam.