Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Windows 8 Thread

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by SkyCloud, Oct 23, 2012

1. Mar 26, 2011
  2. Jul 8, 2012
    Windows 8 works well on tablets or phones, not anything without a touchscreen in my opinion. I like my start menu. lol.
  3. May 14, 2011
    Have you tried it?

You can activate everything with Ctrl + ___ Shortcuts.

The only real issue is compatibility but that's because its new.
  4. Jul 8, 2012

Not yet. I got stuck when I tried to install int on a VM on my laptop. Good point on the compatibility, quite valid.
  5. Aug 18, 2006
    Windows 8 is going to be an IT nightmare. Companies won't be adopting it because of "Modern UI", they don't want to go through the hassle of re-training. The touch user interface has absolutely no business being on a desktop environment. It's really fucking stupid.

Aside from the UI mess, from a technical standpoint, Windows 8 is nice. It brings a load of performance improvements, which I like. Compatibility shouldn't be much of an issue since Windows 8 is a Minor kernel upgrade (6.1 on Windows 7 vs 6.2 on Windows 8).
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Jul 8, 2012
      That's one reason I don't like it. I'm in IT support for my college so I understand the nightmare that IT support can be.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      I like 5.2 :wink:
    • Aug 2, 2010
      Who doesn't?!
      • Zing! Zing! x 1
      • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
      • May 8, 2011
        Be positive and open to the new technologies.

Do you know that Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and X-box are all integrated. You could do your work, enjoy your games, music and movies and share them across 3 platforms in a second.

Do you know that your parent/grandparent only need 1 minutes to learn how to use Windows 8? (Log into Windows 8 and then click a tile. The app is open and they could enjoy reading the news, listening to the music and watching movie, etc.)

Do you know that you are no longer want to upgrade your hard drive to SSD as Windows 8 run much faster and better than Windows 7.

For IT support, do you know that Windows Server 2012 could create 20 VM in less than 10 minutes? How much saving will you get when you move to the Windows 8/Server 2012?

Do you know that a lot of new modern websites are being built using HTML5 that will run on modern browser like IE 10. You will enjoy nice clean design and 3D website when you open it in Windows 8.

Do you know that IE 10 only available on Windows 8, not older version?

Do you know that girls will love and look at you when you carry Surface? :inlove:

Do you know that you can have more than 10 choices of HW when you want to use Windows 8, compare to only one crappy and expensive apple product that can only use for 7 months (new version, ipad 4 is coming)?

• Feb 14, 2012
        IE 10 is only different in Metro. If you run it from desktop you get IE 9.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I am. I love new technology.

I don't own an Xbox, nor will I for a few years. I do not own a Windows 8 phone. So although this is cool, it is not useful for me.

I can promise you after working with my parents, and other elderly folks, that it was take a hell of a lot longer than 1 minute for them to learn and remember the differences. I know it is simple.
        VM servers are nice I agree, but from a support standpoint it will take time to implement them. I have already talked with many people who work along with me in IT support at my college. Windows 8 will most likely not be installed here for the simple fact that we just upgraded to 7 during this past summer/beginning of the school year. I like it, but when you try to teach a few hundred folks who are still learning the differences between XP and 7 to have them try 8? Yeah good luck. I still get people who still can not tell me what browser they use when they report problems. They can't tell me the difference between IE8/9 (some are sadly still on XP) and FF. I had one lady try to convince me that FF or Chrome would not open internet, only IE would.

I am a chrome fan myself. I will give IE 10 a shot, but I use chrome for most things as I really don't like IE at all.

I have a girl, although I do agree I think Windows 8 will run wonderfully on a Surface.
      • May 14, 2011
        I disagree about compatibility issues. Ive just had a nightmare installing windows 8. No mobo drivers for example. No mouse software available. WinZip 14 failed to install. Had to re-download the latest version. Origin made a right mess of getting installed onto win 8. Steam would not install from my exe and then my computer suddenly woke up and started installing, (15 mins later) even after I tried to original download from steampowered.

Worst of all, every time I boot I go onto the windows 8 boot menu. I do not understand why. My primary boot drive is Windows 7. Windows 8 is almost at the bottom of my drive list. However, it insists to go to the Windows 8 boot screen. When I then select windows 7, my computer goes back to the POST screen, then it finally boots into Windows 7. Worst part is W8 is on a storage drive so the POST -> boot screen takes longer than my POST -> desktop time in W7.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        All those are pretty sweet. I think i'l give them a shot if I get it working on my VM.
      • May 31, 2012
        I was anticipating bad things. From what I hear, the only thing that Microsoft makes that doesn't suck... is a vacuum...

But I have been hearing some good things about Windows 8. They usually make something crappy every other round ie Windows XP to Windows Vista (good to bad) then Windows 7 (okay). I was worried because Windows 7 wasn't terrible. I've also heard there is a desktop mode... too bad about the Start menu though...

Haven't tried it out personally yet, so I have no idea. Just going off of what I have heard. If it's faster, I am curious to see how quick it is on my SSD :smile:
      • Mar 20, 2011
        Windows 8 Fail! Watch Microsoft stock bomb. I have walked into retail channels and have been told that multiple units have come back with clients asking for Windows 7.... Doomsday for Microsoft... Lets not get started with Windows RT either, those are also coming back because end users thing they can deploy x86 apps. For the average consumer it is such fail....