Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

WIP: ze_outlast

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by The Crowbar, Oct 8, 2014

1. Feb 22, 2014
    Hello, everyone. I have been working on this ze map for about 2-3 weeks now. It's based on the horror game Outlast, and should have about 3-4 stages, with the last stage being probably impossible (so impossible, I'll probably give money to people who win legitimately)
    screenshots are of most of stage 1, takes about 6 minutes to complete, and will be the most basic, boring stage to get people used to the darker atmosphere and such. (an entire basement area is not pictured below)
    oh and I will do a 3D skybox, just give me some time
    please give me any feedback as you see fit

stage11 stage12 stage15 stage14 stage13
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • May 29, 2012
      For me this allready looks pretty much like the game itself. Good work. Cant wait to play it.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jul 4, 2011
        Looks good so far, but I feel like it should be darker. Less illuminated with some fog perhaps?
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Feb 24, 2011
          Particle/smoke sprite fog would look great in that area. :thumbsup:
          Keep it up!
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Aug 12, 2012
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Oct 22, 2012
              I recommend that you need play/see ze_SAW. Textures, models, environment, mapping... is appropriate for this map.

The map needs gloomy atmosphere, with blood on the floor and on the walls and destroyed areas with low light.

[IMG]
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
              • Apr 28, 2013
                Don't be giving a bad example of a map. If you want to see how a good map works, look at mako, predator, westersand, minas or paper escaper.
              • Jun 11, 2012
                How is it a bad example for a mapper to suggest to another mapper what influence or materials they should look at if they need help?
                • Like Like x 1
                  Benderius, Oct 9, 2014 Last edited by Benderius, Oct 9, 2014
                • Oct 22, 2012
                  Obviously, i think that you like more mako, predator, westersand... because they have levels, bosses, weapons with particles, epicthingstooepics... but I wanted to say that he can see how is made ze_SAW, the mapping and the atmosphere, for me, it is very good, and a map of outlast ought to be more or less like that.
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Apr 28, 2013
                    The mapper itself didn't make much good maps. His only good maps were zombierig, crash bandicoot, fast escape (for it being a 1 day project), and SAW. His other maps like shroom and christmas beta (both of which have stages and bosses) not only had some game breaking glitches but the maps itself aren't executed correctly.

If you really want to see some unappreciated maps that are actually done right, look at enviolinador. I already mentioned paper escaper but most of his maps (boredom, antartika, industrial dejavu, christmas infection and taboo carnation) focus on teamwork instead of trimming the fat (the only good tactic is to keep the number of zombies low at all costs on his maps). Heck, even the bosses are alright with a lot (like 40-50 people) Not only did the mapper put an hp cap on some bosses (an example is the helicopter from taboo carnation which should be easy if you were to keep 35-50 cts on stage 2), but he somehow made it so that some bosses are impossible to solo win.
                    Hydreigon, Oct 9, 2014 Last edited by Hydreigon, Oct 9, 2014
                  • Jan 21, 2011
                    A bad map overall can have parts that are done well.
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • Mar 30, 2013
                      @Hydreigon make a map before criticize others people maps about how they are badly done.
                      • Agree Agree x 4
                      • Feb 27, 2012
                        A bad map can look amazing, you know that I right? All he did was suggest the look and environment of the map to influence how to make ze_outlast look better. He was in no way suggesting that either, he was pretty specific and named off the details of saw, NOT the gameplay.
                      • May 25, 2012
                        Haven't played the game so I'm not sure if any of these comments are valid.

I think you should ditch the white lights and try for something of a spiffy yellow tinted-like color. You have something like this in your map and it looks dull to look at when you could have something like this or... this. The starting pictures make it look as if it's an older dated map and I think spending maybe 10 minutes for small changes like that can do a whole lot. The sprites in your stage14 picture look awful. The default sprite isn't really cool. Try searching for something like... light_glow*. I used those in my examples and IMO they're cool and effective quick.

Spamming some decals can help a lot for the map too. You can have something like this turned into this. Wouldn't that look cool? Perhaps though you would want some blood splatters instead of trash everywhere.

Cubemaps can really help a lot in a map. Hard to show an example but take a look at a map like... ze_tkara, ze_elevator_escape_jbg_final, ze_retribution and ze_resonance_cascade. All have cool reflections from textures. If you use a cool cubemappable texture and not build cubemaps, you're really missing out and might be doing it wrong. A quick test in my map apparently shows I do have reflections in my map. Try toggling r_showenvcubemap 1 in console sometime in a map with cubemaps. You will see all reflections in the map. It's quick, easy and does a lot for 2 minute effort in building them.

...and aligning textures so they don't look so bad would be cool too. Seen in your stage15 pic the ducts texture is off and not really aligned. It looks weird. I think you could select the brush as if you were going to texture it and then press the L key (maybe R?) could fix it with no hassle if it's on the grid.

Map looks good!
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Jun 11, 2012

If a mapper asks for help and another mapper suggest some helping tips who are you as a non-mapper to stand in the way?
                        • Sep 25, 2013
                          • Funny Funny x 6
                          • Winner Winner x 1
                          • Feb 22, 2014
                            I admit, this is the first time I have done lighting, and I don't like it and can't stand it. and I am not good at it and trying to sift through the shitty tutorials and get better at it. so that's that.
                            and yes, I know my textures need work. and I was planning on doing that color overlay thing to make it all look a sickly yellow, as it does in the actual game. and I don't really know about decals, this is my first ze map so I don't know much about detailing and environment (the other 5 maps I did were gg maps, and I did those in under an hour so there isnt much work to them). and I was going to add fog outside, I'm just still learning, again, about all of that plus 3D skybox.

I want this map to be done entirely by me, so it might take longer because I need to research things instead of giving my map to someone else to do it themselves, but thank you for pointing out and giving examples for things that are missing or need to be improved. I am basically self-taught when it comes to Hammer, so I can't think of things to add when I have no clue they exist. and seriously, there needs to be a youtube channel specifically for the different aspects of mapping for a ZE map. things that are really only found in ze maps are difficult to find explanations and tutorials for.

buuuut that is about it
                            it's gonna suck when I have to do the bosses :/
                            Post Merged, Oct 9, 2014
                            Oh and you should look up a speedrun, that game is literally only like 50 minutes long. I can speedrun it, too, so it isn't THAT hard, but if you are the one playing it then it is scary since you are constantly worried about them getting you from behind. sound familiar? (perfect for zombie escape) lol
                          • May 31, 2012
                            Bad example is subjective and SAW is arguably one of the best maps aesthetics wise for indoors, industrial settings. None of the maps you described as good (with respect to which properties?) come even close to it in that terms.

You've listed two examples of 'bad' maps (by glitches and not the map themselves as ideas) versus three maps. You haven't said why they aren't executed correctly, but glitches aside (and a few absurd things tasku does at times), they're above average (and even more so in terms of originality, because Tasku doesn't have to take ideas from X game, Y film or Z whatever the fuck nobody cares most of the times).

The way I make my maps isn't any better than other mappers': I make them that way because it's the kind of gameplay I like. Despite how much you can like or dislike it, being obnoxious about it isn't helpful for my maps nor for the gameplay style. I wouldn't want all maps to be like mine (or most, half or more than the necessary, for the matter) because different styles of mapping and the end results they produce contribute to livening up the game. Also, Devious' pic.

You don't really have to make a map to critisize others, it'd be good, however, if the criticism had some reasoning going on behind so it was not just puking words with a keyboard.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                            HUGE LINE BREAKING THINGS BECAUSE THAT'S OFF TOPIC AND JUST DUMB
                            %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I saw this thread this morning and I thought to myself that the map looked like an 'old' map, that is, a map that was done a few years ago. I'm pretty sure a good 3Dskybox with a different skybox texture and some slightly brighter ambience paired with a subtle fog (whose density isn't 1 so it just darkens the scene) might work well with the setting. I always suggest using color corrections to give a map/area/moment a different feeling by changing the overall color tones at a time (it looks tad fancy if you increase saturation when some event happens so players get the feeling of an adrelanine rush, for example).

Decals are always nice, even more in CS:S where you have loads of them and they (almost) always come up looking nicely. The design looks a bit blocky so, if possible, I'd recommend you to try to smoothen it out as much as possible. The white borders you've used seem to be too outstanding to me, too, so perhaps you could change textures so that the whole area seems to flow a bit more in terms of color.

I dunno what you're planning in terms of gameplay, but I'd suggest you to free yourself from as many influences as possible on that and do something that you'd find interesting to play. In terms of design I find that getting influenced isn't too bad because it can help your sense of composition a bit, but gameplay is something I believe everyone should try to treat as their own little child they gotta take care of.

If I completely went off the tangent (I am tired and started replying because of the amount of dumb dumbo dumb), sorry for that.
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • Winner Winner x 1
                            • Apr 28, 2013
                            • Feb 22, 2014

I haven't imported any custom textures yet, so all of that is just by default. I was DEFINITELY getting a new skybox texture, and other ones. Basically what I have done so far is the "bones" of stage 1. It needs tweaks, additions, details, etc. I was just putting up all the walls and such for like an outline of it and to get back into the swing of mapping since the last one I did was a long time ago. Most of the textures are fine and I was really just messing around with the 5.29475 million (somewhat crappy) textures that are already in hammer, but I will definitely mess around with better ones and rescaling. I am quite the perfectionist, and I even LOOK for stuff like that in other maps, I just have ADHD when I am mapping so I go from one thing to another without completely finishing the first. All while I am watching Arrow, Fringe, Alias, and a bunch of other shows in the background, and cooking breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert, and training my aggressive crazy dog [I'm basically a stay-at-home-wife]
                              Sorry, I feel like I need to justify and explain everything >.<
                              but everyone keep in mind, this is the first ze map where I have gotten this far, so please don't be too harsh on me.