Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ZE and music (Mako poll)

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Trond, Jan 5, 2014

How important is it with music to Mako?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2014.
I must play with the music on, it's what makes the map even more awesome. 19 vote(s) 79.2%
I don't care about the music, the map is still awesome. 2 vote(s) 8.3%
I play with the music off, but the map is awesome. 3 vote(s) 12.5%
  1. Jul 20, 2012
    I know it is a well done map and it took the ZE evolution to the next step. But it is still (over)played to this day, and people even want to have a dedicated server for just this map. I'm curious about something. Does the music have anything to the feeling of playing this map? The music changes for each level and people like the music, it suites the map and levels.

Please be honest about your poll answer, as this poll is for the people who really likes playing the map.
  2. May 27, 2012
    I think music is a big part of maps (for a lot of people). Shit music just doesn't give the same feel as fitting music. (of course, that is all down to opinions. Some people think music will be fitting while others don't)
  3. Apr 9, 2012
    I enable it when playing but in the future will disable it when recording to prevent Claims being put on my videos.
  4. Nov 17, 2012
    Music really makes a map. However, if it's the same old stuff people often dislike it.

I think it's in-genius that the music is timed with triggers on Mako. Often the music changes help too, so you know when Zombies can jump down to the reactor, when the final door opens on Extreme 2 etc. [3,2,1 countdown] etc.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Mar 20, 2012
      Music is important, especially if it fits the gameplay...But can be quite annoying if its the same song over and over again like on mirrorsedge for all difficulties.

But please, I hate low bitrate music... some mapper have 32 or 64 kbps songs because they want to optimize the mapsize, but if you have music in your map stick with something around 128kbps.

Hope you know that you can adjust the volume, if you use the # prefix during mapping.
    • Apr 3, 2013
      Imagine in the final elevator of ex2 without that epic pendulum music playing, it wouldn't be the same feeling.
    • Jan 11, 2011
      The first time I realized how important the music was for the feeling of a map was when Hannibal uploaded a Paranoid version where he forgot to add all the music files.
      It was so weird and boring going around the labyrinth without any music at all... Just the buzz sounds of doors toggling... Felt really weird and it kinda took most emotion away (as in Paranoid you can sometimes not even see humans or zombies, but the music was making you feel "insecure" about every corner).

Trond, you can disable the music on Mako (and all the maps that know about using "#" to label sound files as "music") by going to Audio Settings and turning the music down to 0. Play it this way and see for yourself.
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Jul 20, 2012
        I know about the snd_musicvolume 0 for those maps that have used "#" in their maps, and does who don't I use snd_restart. Look at the 3rd option; playing with music off, not the volume off.
      • Feb 11, 2012
        I go both ways.
        At night I usually turn off the in-game music and fit my own music when I'm playing. During the day I listen to the in-game music. Sometimes the other way around. I do this for pretty much every map.
        But honestly it depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I just have that need to listen to the Pendulum songs.
      • Nov 26, 2011
        I like the music in most ZE maps....except Mako. For whatever reason it's loud as fuck in comparison to other maps, and it just sounds like shit.
      • Feb 12, 2012
        Same here. Music is one of two reasons I don't like Mako. It's just not my type of music (I don't really like DnB). But I still usually turn off the map music and turn on my own.
      • Feb 24, 2011
        I pretty much always have music enabled on maps for the sake of getting a better "feel" from it.
        Though it can be nice to mute it during some moments. Silence is neat from time to time.

Music can have a really, REALLY strong impact on maps imo. It sets and amplifies the mood/atmosphere way more compared to having it all dead quiet.
        Though it doesn't mean that an awesome song would fit in every single maps just because the song itself is great, instead i'd say that the music should fit in with the maps atmosphere to amplify the mappers desired "feel".

Imagine if you had this epic, awesome, final hold event in a ZE map with explosions everywhere and dragons spouting flames in the background..
        Would you prefer to have some epic choir music playing? (something something two steps from hell something)
        Or would you instead want to hear "Time of my life" by dirty dancing?

Also, silence/calm music is always an option! It doesn't always have to be the "DUNKA DUNKA RATATATATATA ROAAAR"ing kind of music. I'd even encourage it personally!

All in all, it's really just up to the mapper itself to decide what he/she wants. Would you like to make a goofy map and slap in your favorite summer mix tape, or would you like to make a super serious/epic map and handpick songs to fit just that?
        Do exactly as you wish, you could either do it my way and be a super grumpy fella who wants to add songs that only fits this/that. Or you could just go nuts and follow your dreams.
        The sky is the limit, no one is holding you back!
        Luffaren, Jan 6, 2014 Last edited by Luffaren, Jan 6, 2014
      • Mar 26, 2011
        Music is majorly important to me, I myself love music with a passion which when players tend to be very quite during the nightly times. I listen to music and this map. I mean it is mako. I used to play ZE for this map all the time, the map itself is amazing but how it goes together is even better! c;
        Post Merged, Jan 6, 2014
        Taking the time to read this actually I agree 100% on the bolded.
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 31, 2012
          Yeah, this. Although I usually add perhaps way too much RATATATATATATA music, chill/relaxing/mystical-ish music is great at times. I think, however, that it is harder to make-fit than simple upbeat music because of the gamemode which is more or less ACTION IN YO FACE all the time.
        • Mar 20, 2012
          ze_minecraft is a good example for relaxing/chill music... But people tend to brainafk if they hear it, so Im not so sure anymore..
          Pyramid head and lauras theme with working cc still one of the best modes+music for atmosphere in my opinion...
        • Apr 3, 2013

Prolly because Minecraft (the game) has peaceful music. If the game had explosions, lasers, pendulum and bahamuts in it, the map would prolly have it too.
        • Aug 7, 2012
          The music is pretty good but I'm not voting because the map is less than awesome :grin:
        • Dec 12, 2011
          I keep the music on since its triggered and helps me remember to fall back or use a certain item.

The mono low bit rate music shows the maps age and sounds bad.
        • Feb 11, 2012
          I like the music in destruction of exorath. I think Michelle did a great job.
        • Nov 17, 2012
          HYBRID FTW! So guuuud ;D