Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ZE consuming to consume

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Fornax, Oct 26, 2012

1. Jun 18, 2012
    Ok the title might not really give anything away except it's about ZE. Let me explain a little:

I made this thread cause of something I and probably every ze player has noticed the past year. I do know there is probably nothing to do about this but I still want to make a suggestion or at least give this some attention cause I think it's ruining ZE in certain ways.

Ok so what's the deal? Well we got our ''overplayed'' maps like Mako and Pred, besides that we play lots of Paper/Dejavu/Paranoid and some other maps. Before they got taken of we also had Minas and Skyrim. I think we all agree these are the ''best'' maps, BUT and I'd like to take Skyrim as an example, is just the ignorant consuming of ZE players.

All ZE is crying for lately is new maps, once a new maps gets released, the first two weeks the crap is played out of it, people start complaining, adjustments get made, it's getting played even more and in less then a month these maps dissapear to the background. Sure most of them aren't as ''exciting'' as a Mako or Predator, but they're still good maps, it shows cause they get played constantly the first weeks.

So I was thinking there has to be a way to slowly slip maps into the system without them being overplayed:

-I was for example thinking about making maps, made by PF mappers, being a PF server map only the first 3 weeks?

-Also I was thinking about releasing ''bundles'' of maps, instead of 1 at a time?

-Make some kind of ''variety hour'' every few weeks, here new maps will be played for just 1-2 evenings and then being taken of rotation again? (but this won't work if other servers don't do the same.)

I know, the first 2 suggestions depend more on the mappers than the PF community but I think we all agree that if we do something about it, we'll get a lot more variety?

I'll be brainingstorming in the meantime, this is just what first came to mind. Feel free to type down any ideas.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Apr 9, 2012
      This sounds very nice! I support the idea. It's a real issue and I think most people know about it but have been too lazy (me included) to do anything about it or even adress this (which you just did).

One thing though, Skyrim was removed for no particular reason or at least no actual reason I so far have to hear about, and Minas is removed because of the infamous glitch.
      Also, I don't know if other people have noticed it, but Mako got exactly that much hate that it isn't even played for sometimes 1 full day. At least that's how I see it, today was the first time since 8 days that I played Mako (and today people were intentionally spoiling the gameplay by grief to simply urge people to DC or rtv..) So I can't even play Mako at all now.
    • Feb 14, 2012
      So basically people are upset because they play the server 24 by 7 and are subjected to the same maps? Isn't that an FPS by very definition? Dust 2 has been played consistently for almost 15 years now.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Apr 9, 2012

Try mapping instead of gaming ^^ that way we could indeed have more maps!
        • Jun 18, 2012
          I know Skyrim had other reasons, but people started to hate on it more and more the longer it got played. Minas is often not even extended on PF when someone puts it on, or PF simply doesn't like it ... or it was overplayed in the early days (I think the latter).

(What you said about Mako also happens with Paranoid often I noticed.)

Yes Never that's true, however Dust 2 has way different possibilty's which result in a different outcome than Mako where you lately hear ''stack and don't shoot'', 1 technique gets boring soon. I think there is a way we can prevent the mod from getting boring and I think by slowly adding new maps to the older is a better way then playing new maps for 2 weeks and going back to the ''better'' usual.
          Post Merged, Oct 26, 2012
          I only play +-2 hours a day lately cause of internship and I do agree on this, hence I also started mapping. HOWEVER a lot of people don't want to try new stuff and simply want to play, I think if we're able to keep these people to the community it'd only be better for PF?
        • Apr 20, 2011
          well you can't make everyone happy the server is fine as it now the only thing need to change is just to fix anti-bhop and that be it
        • Apr 9, 2007

Once a map is uploaded someone could upload it to their server. Could work with mappers and do what Axl does, but eh.
        • Jun 18, 2012
          BHop, offtopic much. And it isn't about making everyone happy it's about making a bigger variety of maps without them being overplayed. This way you got Mako fanboys content with playing ZE_w/e every few days and people who hate Mako are fine too cause they know they'll get to play other fun maps too. Which will probably be voted for sooner cause they aren't overplayed.
        • May 14, 2012
          well... i truly do get annoyed when people in ze throw the word overplayed around.... considering you have to wait to play a map again after 11 maps.. which is a good 6 hours(if a map is not rtv'd). so at the most you can play a map 3 times a day. And that's only if you stay up and play ze for 18 hours. which is not including the extended time on good maps.

bundling maps would make no sense since new maps aren't released very often. and i'm sure the map makers want there maps to be played once they are released.

I could never see this happening. thats like saying here guys on 11/24 we will play mako skyrim and minas and then you have to wait until 12/26 to play them again (I consider a few to be 3 or 4). i think it would be pretty stupid to do this
          Biohaze, Oct 26, 2012 Last edited by MainstreamHo, Oct 26, 2012
        • Dec 6, 2011
          • Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jun 4, 2006
            Not a site suggestion... moved to Zombie Escape. :dazed:

[IMG]

Does no one read this shit? Can't count how many threads I've moved out of here.
            • Like Like x 1
            • May 27, 2008
              To answer that, no. No one ever does read.
            • Apr 1, 2012

don't really understand what the suggestions mean.. can somebody translate it to Australian English?
            • May 15, 2011
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Dec 6, 2011
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Mar 12, 2008

Also yes. Well we could extend the amount of maps before another is played. remember what happened last time? In short, there's no way to fix being "overplayed" in ZE. You either play maps the server likes, or you don't play at all. Take mako for example. Population bursts out of nowhere, then deflates slightly when mako is over. It gets the shit extended out of it because it's a good and fun map. Do any other get extended as much? probably pred, but that's about it. If it was about ZM, or even MG, maybe this would make some sense, but ZE "overplayed" would mean having shorter map cycle requirements and a whole crock of other shit that i can't be bothered to touch on
                • Dec 6, 2011
                  When I'm on I am almost always first to connect and grab #1 nomination spot, so I make sure we don't overplay pred/mako/paper/etc. and put us on infrequently but fun-every-once-in-a-while maps.
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  • Jan 11, 2011
                    What I personally love is when players complain about 10 different overplayed maps... Wich are more than what many old servers used to have in total.

Anyway, the "bundle" idea doesn't work. Its a nice coincidence if many mappers release (is nice whenever one releases!) at the same time, but thats it. There is no real difference if you get 4 maps released at once this month or if 1 gets released every week during this month (up to 4). Its just nice whenever there is a new map (specially if its a good/nice/enjoyable one); but the problem usually is that there are no "enough" releases, or that some/many are, at times, quite bad.
                    Maybe you didn't notice, but what you really wanted is more maps. Unless we are talking about releasing two/three "big maps" (like lets say Junon, Last Man Standing and Luffaren's Project) at once, so none gets so overplayed? Well, still nice in paper, but maybe its even "worse" if all of a sudden you don't even see the old maps because of those three.

Where can I take a look at the % of gameplay the ZE maps saw lately on pF? Are there maps with more than 1/11 (9,1%) of gameplay? I guess there are. Not only you can extend those maps, but you can also RTV to make the 11-rotation shorter... Maybe the problem is having so many maps worth being RTVed?
                    I personally don't have a problem because I do like the overplayed maps, and as many people pointed out, they are usually overplayed for a reason (they are good and/or have a gamestyle liked by most). I personally leave the server many times when a non-overplayed map that I don't like gets chosen; specially if I know there is still a long time before my favourites are available again.

Anyway... Who knows? The problem is basically the same everywhere, not only on Zombie Escape maps. Everyday people want just "more" and don't appreaciate each piece as much. Just see how bored people get lately of most games/whatevers, compared to how many hours you used to expend wich each new game/whatever in the past.
                    Consuming to consume, as your tittle prays.
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                      Kaemon, Oct 27, 2012 Last edited by Kaemon, Oct 27, 2012