Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion ZE Donor Perks

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by Joshy, Jan 2, 2015

Give donor-perks to all players in ZE

No 15 vote(s) 60.0%
Yes 10 vote(s) 40.0%
  1. May 31, 2012

Suggestion: I think all players should have at least the same perks as donors (ie. no-fall damage, boosted jump, etc.)

I noticed a few players were online today playing Mako, but the server still lacks in population! I was playing but realized how frustrating ZE can be without the no-fall damage and boosted jump perk.

Now: Why give non-donors the perks the same as donors? What incentive would anyone have to become a donor? My counter-question to this would be "What incentive would anyone have to become a donor if there are few to none players online?" The current status of donors and admins specifically committed to ZE - I am assuming - is extremely loyal or forgot to unsubscribe; the other donors and admins are mostly committed to ZM and MG. This means offering free perks on the ZE server would hardly affect your current donors and admins.

You would also want more admins to go online, but you wouldn't want them to police the server more (meaning you don't want to give them extra "powers"): You could do something simple like upgrade their skins and offer the Super Soldier to lower-level admins, and Dr. Kleiner with boosted jump to Level-3 admins. I think the skin alone might be enough incentive to gain a few admins' attention.

If and eventually ZE gains its popularity again, then this would be extremely painful to remove. You could advertise this as a limited time offer or bonus (ie. 3-6 months) and I think it would help catalyze the ZE server again. If it worked out, you might even be inclined to keep it.

Agree or disagree, I think conventional methods of advertising wont be enough to save the server. It might be time to try a few radical ideas regardless of your agreements with my idea.

Thanks!
    • Agree Agree x 3
      Joshy, Jan 2, 2015 Last edited by Joshy, Jan 2, 2015
    • May 31, 2012
      I believe there's little to advertise in CS:S. As per http://store.steampowered.com/stats, the game has less players now than Terraria and is close to the numbers of Euro Truck Simulator 2 at its peak.

On topic, I've always prefered playing with fall damage myself, even as a mapper with free donator thingaroo access. I've always felt is better to try to move as fast as possible but with constraints to keep it fun.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 31, 2012
        I just do not believe this claim is valid:

[IMG]

Which server am I more likely to see you on? You know I play the other servers too :wink:. If CSS decaying population was enough to cause the ZE server to die, then why are the other servers doing well? Maybe there isn't 60k players on right now, but why can't we have 64 out of the near-10k players that are on right now? There are other variables to consider, and that argument is probably the worst of all.

... and my idea isn't as radical as I might be insinuating; other servers offer no-fall damage and boosted jumps to their non-donors too. Why should I play on ZE PF if there are no players and I have fall damage while I can go to another server with no-fall damage and plenty of players? ZE is going to need to be competitive if PF wants to revive it.

It seems like a lot of people have the CSS:GO mentality going on, and I think the updates are great; however, CSS isn't dead yet and I really do not a lot effort is needed to revive the server while CSS:GO-ZE is being tested and improving.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • May 31, 2012
          I posted factual information from Steam. I don't know where do you play (why would I?) nor did I talk about the ZE's server death. Other servers might be doing well out of the fact that they still have a community that plays on them, but that doesn't mean they're getting newer players. CS:S is an old game. It is, objectively, a game that few people would be buying nowadays (that is, a game that would be rarely getting new players) since CS:GO is more both showcased in streaming sites and whatnot and cheaper. Even though I didn't even claim what you said I claimed, you failed to point out why that argument would be flawed (asking 'why can't we get 64 out of these 10k players' isn't an explanation; it'd be possible but it isn't how it is and I _believe_ is unlikely because the playerbase in the game is, now, very tied to communities that are unlikely to change).

You kinda went off topic on your own thread so... ya.

Edit: Just for the shake of the thread: my point was that if this were to be made players (myself, for example) would be forced to play without falldmg despite them enjoying playing with fall damage being on effect. Why'd you be forcing that?
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
            enviolinador, Jan 2, 2015 Last edited by enviolinador, Jan 2, 2015
          • May 31, 2012
            Lol, I can't even respond to that. Re-read what I wrote in the previous post and repeat as necessary?

For your edited comment: I think there are very few people who prefer fall damage, and you already have the no-fall damage so you're already "forced" to have it (poor you). Anyhoo, we can add a rider to this suggestion since not all ideas or suggestions are perfect the first time: Allow some skins to have fall damage if players prefer it :razzdrunk:. Would that persuade you to change your vote @enviolinador?
          • May 31, 2012
            I haven't played in GFL for more than a few months. That last connect was to get the sv_downloadurl value to access to their fastdl because I wanted to check the map they were playing in singleplayer. With that out of the way trying to prove dunno what, let's say the changes you suggested get implemented: as you've pointed out other servers already have them so... how'd they attract players? You'd be cattering to a market that has already been cattered and is playing on a well populated server.

I can't change my vote, but if anything I'd say I don't see how the suggestion would help at all. I don't think there's anything radical in doing what others do, to be honest.
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Feb 8, 2013
              I'm not too persuaded that a community and their server(s) are built with perks as their legs. Honestly, I just don't think giving everyone perks will attract the population to revive ZE. @enviolinador is probably correct, also, because some players might not want the perks (I know a few that wouldn't, including myself).

Now, skins are just cosmetic figures. This is probably something to think over. There can be skins for non-donors that would not look as great as ones for donors? Will this idea help? I'm always sided with skins that are relevant to the subject of the server. You can't put a banana skin in a zombie mod server is what I'm trying to get at.
            • Apr 28, 2013
              Pretty much the only reason why GFL is alive is because of their rules as much as I don't like some of them. There are a lot of trolls and griefers there and very few leaders. They can beat the large maps but sadly not your maps enviolinador (including paper who I used to lead on a lot but I don't do so anymore). I don't want the rules to be changed but donor perks would be an interesting approach.

To go off topic, what pretty much keeps ze alive are the HUGE maps. What the people on source really like is a lot of content added. Look at ze_harry_potter and the new version of ze_ffxii_westersand. They are huge and detailed very well and keeping the difficulty consistent. I used to think playing all maps keeps servers alive but thats not the case. Players look forward to these "huge maps" as they are on the server to play such maps.

The problem is CS:S is a very old game. New tricks don't work as well on ze as they used to especially when CS:GO is improving in ze and there might be even bigger projects in cs:go and ports superior to the original maps. To conclude this, I'm kind of not surprised cs 1.6 has more people than cs:s because I heard people had very good experiences in cs 1.6.

Bottomline: I'd wait for a while to see what people have to say about highjump and no falldamage but reviving pF won't be so easy because of the deacaying population.
            • Feb 8, 2013
              It's not that I hate ZE, but I just don't like the style of it especially when bhop was prohibited. Now that the rules seem to have changed, I'll be giving it a try. The other times of me going onto ZE servers were because of myself wanting to appreciate ZE maps because they're huge and usually very detailed with textures. It's a piece of art since talented mappers spend a lot of time making a map look nice. I know some people would only expect it to be playable, but for I, I actually want a map to look the best it can be. That's where a lot more creativity comes in. @Dark_Gunner, please don't rush our map. Thanks.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • May 29, 2012
                I love the idea of giving atleast no-falldmg to non-donors.

*Boost the jump distance abit.
                *Donors will still be able to have skins and colored names. Why not give Donors custom tags?
                *Instead of letting people buy admin recrute them.
                *Add more different skins.
                *Start being a bit more open to stuff you may not like in the first place.
                *Let Admins have their fun.
                *EntWatch instead of anti grief.
                *Update your serverlist. (So many outdated maps)
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Oct 13, 2011
                • Jun 19, 2013
                  It would take a miracle to repopulate the ze server at this point. Although, I would consider management giving everyone donator benefits a miracle leeeeel.
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Mar 26, 2012
                    I think the goal of Joshy's suggestion is to give people less reasons not to go to pF's ZE server (I know I worded that kinda weirdly). Since people have to pay for perks on our server versus what is free on other servers, why should they even consider coming here, especially if it is empty. With the server sitting at 0, they aren't making any money off of donators anyhow. What changes can we make to make ourselves competitive against CS:S ZE servers? Enough people are still playing CS:S that other ZE servers still have players on them while we sit at 0. :[

Maybe it could be something that is initially on by default (eg no fall damage and higher jump by default), but can be disabled with a command like !zmarket, !zclass, or another command. This way it is not forced onto people if they truly don't want it.

I think fall damage and jumping can be irritating on ZE. When I first started playing, I always became a zombie because I couldn't jump over boxes as easily or I'd fall to my doom like down the ladder on Mako. It sucks when you are almost always a zombie right from the beginning. Most people play CS:S to shoot things I imagine.
                    • Winner Winner x 1
                    • Feb 8, 2013
                      Again, I think this is a very minor problem. I've played on other ZE servers and comparing those I've played to pF, they were garbage (possibly excusing GFL). I like how pF keeps their things simple. The idea of simplicity and FastDL is kind of why people like me, stay. Given the option of being able to purchase perks, or as Management likes to put it, a gratitude of giving back to players who donate, is definitely something for players to look forward to if they truly enjoy playing on PlagueFest. Having "perks" shouldn't be expected to be free. If a individual's decision is to stay with pF, it's predictable they'll eventually donate if they want those perks. This is what separates donors from members. Donors donate to have perks and it's well deserved in all fairness. If anything, being able to purchase admin should be removed, but this topic belongs to another thread.
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                        Orange, Jan 3, 2015 Last edited by Orange, Jan 3, 2015
                      • May 31, 2012
                        I can vouch for Orange! He's the one player that plays ZE and likes the current settings.

[IMG]

Oh, maybe he's not even the one. I'd like to withdraw my statement.
                        • Winner Winner x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Aug 1, 2011
                          Perks or not, there aren't many people playing on the ZE server, or most of the pF servers for that matter. Very little effort seems to be put into repopulating servers in pF. The occasional random start-up attempt is made, but quickly dies off once a handful of key players decide to leave.

I find it interesting how so many people pay for donor status or to get admin because the like the servers and community, but the moment any work needs to be done they all fuck off and aren't seen for days. I understand that it gets boring and repetitive, playing the same game with the same maps over and over again. But from management down, if you're not interested in being here anymore, or are just willing to half ass things and do minimal effort, why are you still here?
                        • May 17, 2014
                          IMO pF is dead because of our players all being gone! I mean once an admin bans a popular player that everyone loves, the player won't even try to get unbanned. I mean why would you keep trying to get unbanned on a server when you can just go to another one (GFL). And once those popular players leave they take about 5-15 major players with them. We need to be more flexible with our rules, I'm not saying we should allow racism but we should at least give players a second or maybe even third chance. I know this sounds crazy but I think we need to unban all the players we have banned and i'm not just talking about the popular ones I'm talking about every single player. There might be a massacre in the beginning but in long term this will be a good idea. Sure we might have to ban some players after this happens but it's worth it. And we need to be more flexible with our rules! Don't kick or mute someone because they don't listen to an admin once, just slap them. Don't perm ban a player for saying racial slurs ban him for a day. We need to stop being strict or it will be the end if it isn't the end already.
                          • Agree Agree x 2
                          • Dec 17, 2007
                            I honestly don't think that giving non-donators , donator perks on ZE is going to help it out at all. I mean we already give away free donator and admin as a reward for playing in an event. Unfortunately ZE is just dead and it's more than likely bc ppl got tired of playing it. Think about it, it's a little complicated for someone to just come in and start playing ZE, it takes a little bit to learn the maps and a lot of ppl don't want to do that. Compare that to ZM where you can just come in play and shoot zombies not much thinking there. Also this whole talk about ppl leaving bc of the rules being too strict is really not the case. Ppl are leaving bc CSS is old and they are moving on to other things, other games like CS:GO. Being more relaxed on the rules isn't going to do anything.

I have to disagree, bc if you have a player that follows the rules and you have another one that is constantly breaking them, how is that fair? Take for example cade breaking if we keep giving chances and player A keeps cade breaking player B, then the player that is following the rules either starts breaking them or leaves. Now instead of the rule breaking being gone, the player following the rules has now left and we right back where we started. There have been so many player that have become angry and piss off bc the rules weren't being enforced and ended up leaving or becoming trolls. I ended up having to ban one player bc apparently his cade kept getting broken and no one could catch it, that player ended up trolling other players which eventually lead to a ban.

Being strict on the rules really isn't the cause of ppl leaving. It's just that the game is getting old and ppl are getting tired of it. Believe it or not but this happens a lot. A games will come along, ppl love and make communities out of it, the game gets old dies out, another game comes along and that community goes with it. There are other games coming out, ppl getting interested in other things such as CS:GO and that's the real reason why ppl are leaving, this is just inevitable, the game is going to die out.
                          • May 17, 2014
                            I'm not saying we shouldn't enforce the rules just to reduce the punishment. At GFL all I hear is them talking about how pF never beats maps and how we are making the punishment too strict. At one point I heard someone comparing North Korea and pF together. Do we really want a reputation like that? The sad thing is the people that talk shit about pF used to be pF regulars. We are not only losing our players but putting them against us.
                          • Feb 8, 2013
                            Each and every one of you definitely have some strong points in your own belief. While we can't all completely agree with one another's beliefs, we can still pin point what is obvious to us, the reason why ZE died. Now, some of you may say it's not this or it's not that, but it may be multiple things why people wouldn't want to stick to PlagueFest's ZE. For example, I can't speak for everyone who thinks that pF rules are too harsh because I know the others would definitely disagree. Then, I can't say that dumping and refreshing the entire ban list would be for the greater cause and would lead ZE into a revived status. Lastly, for people who said perks are the reason why players aren't satisfied or feeling the disadvantage against people with them, not everyone can agree with this either. From the things we've discussed, people may agree or disagree with different areas of one's opinion. If we all take a little from each of everyone's opinions, we have multiple problems that ZE headed to. There's been threads and threads about our ZE server, but I haven't seen many LSA's and Management inputs. Some have put work into the server already, trying to revive it, but it'd be great if we can have a discussion together including the higher ups.
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                              Orange, Jan 3, 2015 Last edited by Orange, Jan 3, 2015