Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ZE Videos General

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Mr. Mango, Dec 28, 2013

1. Dec 2, 2013
    Figured I may as well make a general thread instead of filling up the forum.

Been trying out some more settings. Think I've gotten the best results so far using a mix of raw RGB recording and then converting the video into x264 using Handbrake. Final video was ~15mbps before being uploaded to youtube.

Much less smudging going on, especially with the text and movement. Granted the particular level was a bit on the dark side and as such not the best display of quality. Will try to get some better stuff here later.

Good general guide on what the output bitrate should be based on your resolution (Ignore the high quality table, look at standard quality uploads): https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=no . I think that the 1440p bitrate is wrong though as other places mentioned 15mbps as the bitrate used.

An easy way to maximize your bitrate would be to upscale your video so that youtube processes the video in a higher category than it would otherwise. Some people have reported success upscaling 720p to 1440p, a simple doubling of both width and height. Might try putting in slight padding of a pixel to get the bitrate up from 1440p to 4k levels.

2. Nov 22, 2012
    Thanks for the information. I have always considered making some videos on my own, but I have never started due to not knowing much about it. Good luck with this.
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    Here are some videos of maps tested today on PF:

Notre Dame

Hold Em

Sewage Processing

• Like Like x 2
    • Feb 12, 2012
      So, this Hold Em map. Is it just one single simple long tunnel? Or is there something else?
    • Dec 2, 2013
      It's one long tunnel with multiple gates where you have to hold off the zombies. Once each gate opens, you proceed forward and defend at the next gate. After around six or so gates, you end up at the end and have to kill the ghost boss. This is as far as we got before the zombies infected the rest of the team.
    • Jul 20, 2012
      Even if it is so simple I want to try out the map :tremble:
    • Feb 12, 2012
    • Dec 2, 2013
      Everyone has to pretty much get m249/autosnipers on hold em and use the knockback to keep zombies away. You need to both have good aim and to conserve your ammo since it's a fairly long tunnel and you can easily run out of ammo by the end.
    • Feb 12, 2012
      If I could only use my mic... I'd lead and tell everyone my perfect strategy of conserving ammo while holding zombies off.
    • Mar 30, 2013
      Easy, don't shoot zombie, doorhug, and let other people shoot. You will conserve your ammo.
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Dec 2, 2013
        Meant more along the lines of making every shot count, using secondaries instead of primaries when need be, and staying a bit closer to ensure hits, but your method seems to be more popular :razz:
      • Dec 2, 2013
        Played the entire map of Fap Escape in 640x480 resolution using DirectX 7 and the lowest settings allowed. Only thing that would make this better is to take the resolution down a notch to 320x240 or 160x120. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this and other low quality settings, let me know. Maybe resurrect Roger Wilco as well and use that in place of in-game voice.

• Apr 9, 2012

Do you know if Youtube still allows 1440p? When I upload a video at 2560x1440 it just stays at 720p for me.
        Post Merged, Jan 4, 2014
        Loool nevermind. Youtube decided to troll me and exactly when I refreshed after placing this message I get the 2 options. I should say, the quality is not desirable at this moment. Does it take a long while for Youtube to encode the entire quality?
      • Dec 2, 2013
        Usually after it says "Processing Finished" you only get 360p/480p at first. Then 720p appears and higher resolutions as time goes on. You should get all the options within 15 minutes generally.

The quality has gone down a good amount, especially in the past month or so. I've been experimenting with different bitrates, RGB -> x264, straight x264 recording, demos recorded to x264, and nothing seems to work for high action content like FPS games. While the platformers I've recorded end up at a nice ~2000kbps for 1440p, CSS ends up around 15-20mbps for acceptable quality and youtube seems to butcher when further transcoding the videos.

It used to be that if you slightly padded your video, you could qualify for a higher resolution and thus gain bitrate benefits, but now the system seems to be much smarter. The bits per pixel seems to be around the same for all the resolutions.

I would guess for optimal results, you would want to get the bitrate down to around the 10mbps that YouTube recommends in that page I've linked. I would add in motion blur and maybe some grain to mask the quality drop at that bitrate.