Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Ze_Amko_Escape

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Kloud, Jun 12, 2013

1. Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
      Kloud, Jun 12, 2013 Last edited by Kloud, Aug 16, 2013
    • Apr 9, 2012
      You can never have enough Amko *cough* Mako *cough*
    • Apr 28, 2013
      From all the "Amko" mentioning I hear from you earlier, Amko is finally real unlike ze_TESV_Minas_Reactor_Ultimate.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      You never know if someone is working on it...you never know...could be me...could be you...maybe him...nah he sucks.
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Apr 3, 2013
        Bender i will put your face on there and make it a 1 hit object because you suck so much.
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Feb 3, 2012
        • Apr 3, 2013
          Because.
        • Apr 28, 2013
          He could be in this very room.

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJ3C1srZW8

Sort of reminds me of "Meet the Spy".
        • Mar 26, 2009
          Kloud, you're doing some of the same things that made your other map not work.

The first problem is that you still seem to not be working on any sort of grid and all of the textures are maligned because of it. Make your brushes on a fixed grid size (16 works best) and only change grid sizes when you need to make things like detail buildings (bigger grid) or finer details like door frames (smaller grid.)

Room height should be 128 units, or doubles of it for larger rooms like warehouses. Using other sizes is acceptable if you're using trim textures, but a concrete base and brick above it looks really bad.

Another problem are the lights. That workshop light doesn't go with drop ceilings, there is actually a light model specifically made for being sunken into the drop ceiling (like in cs_office.) You're also using too many of them too close together. To make the light look more natural coming from a prop like that, the light_spot should have a really wide angle (85-90 degrees), you should add a regular light entity with a low brightness (like 10-25) for ambient light and you should add a env_sprite entity with the lightglow sprite to give the light a halo.

You shouldn't be using func_door brushes to make doors. prop_door_rotating with the door_left model looks way better (especially if make a door frame around it) and adds consistency to the size of the doors in your map. In your older map, the doors were all different sizes and looked ugly with the door texture squashed or stretched out.

I can send you some VMFs of my maps so you can see what to do and what not to do.
          • Useful Useful x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Apr 9, 2012
            While that is entirely true, if the maps is intended to contain a lot of entities, it is better that he doesn't use them, as it is in ZE terms a waste of entities.
          • Feb 23, 2013
            Just a suggestion why don't you make all 4 stages about different games, instead of just 2? i think it would be pretty good if u have 4 different games brings variety to the map.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Apr 3, 2013
              Storyline.

Some dude teleports you to another dimension, which is stage 2, the end of that dimension leads to stage 3 and when you defeat the boss there, the portal to the real dimension opens up.
            • Feb 23, 2013
              Ahh ok thanks for that, it makes alot more sense :smile:
            • Mar 26, 2009
              If it's a huge escape map, then yeah you should skimp on some details. But up to about a medium sized escape map can do with some additional detailing, especially if the route doesn't have huge areas in it.
            • May 31, 2012
              The picture suggests it's a basic map although it looks like time and effort was put into it. Looks interesting and Gigabites suggestions look useful; I'll have to take that into consideration as I plan to make a map of my own one day :grin:

I like it
            • Mar 26, 2009
              [IMG]

How not to make drop ceiling lighting:
              [IMG]
              • Useful Useful x 1
              • Apr 9, 2012
                GiGaBiTe, that hole in the ceiling, do you make one layer like a func-detail to make the holes in it, or is it a hole in World Brushes (as otherwise that hole would create an unnecessary visleaf, which would in the end not be a big deal but still inefficient)? Just curious, because I never made lights with those lights yet though I knew this was the way to do them.
              • Mar 26, 2009
                Clip out a hole in the ceiling tile and put the model inside, with a nodraw brush above it. Also you need to nodraw the sides of the drop ceiling brush so the lip of the model doesn't get Z fighting problems. There's also a light cover texture you should put over the light as a func_detail brush, and a glow sprite if you want it to look pretty.

You can save on brushcount by clipping strategically, but the added leaf isn't much of a problem.

I have this much of the map done:
                [IMG]

And the map only takes 25 seconds for a full compile, with like 17% brush count.
              • Jul 6, 2012
                • Agree Agree x 1