Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ze_bioshock (yes I'm back!)

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by dormantlemon, Mar 27, 2013

1. Aug 19, 2011
    Good evening all, it has been a long time indeed (18 months)! Anyway I'm back to share with you a preview of the full version of this (monstrous) map for ZE.

Without further ado..

ze_Bioshock

Features:
    -4 Rounds
    -Some plasmids and other weapons
    -True to original rooms
    -Boss fights
    -Shed loads of custom content
    -Bunch more stuff

From my own runthrough it takes almost 25 minutes to complete the map assuming each round is played well and won first time.

Have some screenshots:
    Early design of a section from Siren's Alley:
    [IMG]
    Arcadia:
    [IMG]
    Entrance tunnels to hephaestus:
    [IMG]
    Welcome areas elevator room:
    [IMG]
    Here is where you fight Bioshocks first enemy:
    [IMG]
    Spawn:
    [IMG]

Lastly this is my hammer:
    [IMG]
    As you can see, its not exactly tiny.

Enjoy :smile:

ps im nearly ready to test it FINALLY.
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • May 31, 2012
      Good to see some update on this. I was thinking about adding you and trying to get some update or something similar. Have you changed the lighting? I remember the map being terribly dark. I'm looking forward to it anyway.
    • Jun 11, 2012

Did I mention Oh My Gawd? Also how topical, can't wait till we get it in ZE.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Apr 9, 2007
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Aug 19, 2011
          Ahh yes the lighting. Ive been working on that quite a bit. Some sections are done, others not so much. I spent literally forever (ok well more like 200 hours) cleaning just about every aspect of this up before i did added anything. Of course time != quality, but I hope it does. The problem with the lighting is the difference between screens people use. Aiming for a light map is easy, as it affects noone if a monitor is slightly darker or lighter when displaying colours, when aiming for dark its much more difficult. Since I have a really crappy screen that displays colour much too bright (with no way of adjusting), what looks good to me will probably look too dark for the majority, however im making do now, as I finally got hold of another pc to test on (love you eBay!)

Its a shame I was gone for so long, been working on university stuff, another another map that I *might* have posted here long ago (mg_angel_beats) thats also coming on nicely.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Welcome back! And you can't help it if people don't have their monitors calibrated properly. Usually better to go with more lighting than less.
        • Feb 11, 2012
        • May 31, 2012
          Well, it still felt cool; however, some areas were rather bland (or so I remember) and optimization was quite lacking. Maybe you could aim for a dark theme with a colorcorrection upping brightness a bit? This way, with a simple change players could see it brighter or darker.
        • Jun 18, 2012
          Lol I just said I wanted this back on ZE without knowing this thread was made. xD

It better not has spoilers I still haven't played 1 or 2 ... Shame on me I guess.
        • Jul 17, 2012
            ColdZero, Mar 27, 2013 Last edited by ColdZero, Mar 28, 2013
          • Jan 21, 2011
            I'm afraid to play this map for fear that I may cream myself with joy over the awesomeness. I was really looking forward to playing this when you posted it way back when and can not express how happy I am that it is not dead.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Wow lol yes indeed, I remember this thread when it was posted, I totally forgot about it xD Nice to see it's back on track, good luck :thumbsup:
            • Jan 11, 2011
              Dormantlemon, are you sure you can't play around with the Gamma Correction from Counter Strike? (Doesn't work on Windowed Mode I believe).
              You should really try to get the "normal" (not bright) mode for deciding how to make the map. Trying to make a "Dark Map" using a "Bright Setting" is an awful idea that will make the map just to be too dark on half the people (that use the normal settings instead of the bright ones).

Also, CS:S is not very dark-friendly. The Flash Lights, Shadows and Effects work in a way where dark maps (AKA: You need Flashlight to see) aren't really enjoyable and look bad; at least in my opinion. Its better (still, in my opinion) to have a "dark atmosphere" but that doesn't require of a Flash Light to see the room all the time; similar to how Mako Reactor is "darkish" and set in the night-time, but you only "need" the Flash Light on some small areas used on ZM Mode, or on Sephiroth's Bridge to see the Half Zombies.

Glad you came back, GL with your map. XD
            • May 30, 2012
            • Apr 16, 2012
              u know, bioshock infinite is out now... if u have any more spare time when ur done rapture...
            • Jul 20, 2012
            • Aug 19, 2011
              Nearly done. Its been on the backseat lately as ive been busy with work (finally got a job as a web developer) and other projects (CUDA accelerated terrain generation engine).

Im kind of sitting on the fence as to how i want the end to be. Im still not happy with various parts of the map too. Rest assured its in the pipeline, but im kind of waiting for the right ideas to popup. My intention is its right first time.
            • Jul 20, 2012
              At least you know how to work those engine entities. If I knew all about Hammer I would make maps like a factory.
            • Feb 11, 2012
              Wow nice to hear this is actually coming along and almost done ^_^
              Can't wait to see it.
            • Feb 3, 2012