Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ze_cathedral W.I.P. CS:GO (JorisCeoen)

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by JorisCeoen, Aug 13, 2012

1. Apr 9, 2012
    Hi everyone, I have recently started a map for CS:GO and I hope to release it before the release date. It will be a quick map and will therefore suffer a lot of detail loss, but the point is having fun. I still try to make the environment as nice as possible!

This is something I quickly throwed together:
    [IMG]

I did plan this for after my ze_SSBB_b1 release but the cs:go server is coming soon and therefor I think it's more efficient to quickly release a good working, siple map for CS:GO, so that I can move on with SSBB soon after this. This is also my first quick work map so I hope it'll be ok ^^ I will update it however in the future to improve it a lot.

It will feature a big cathedral, many different escaping routes, nice lighting, bumpmaps, parallaxmaps, highly optimized collisions, special weapons and custom music.

There will be no special characters & no boss battles, as it doesn't fit in my budget and timescale right now.

I'm going to keep it short as I have work to do :wink:

Have fun!

EDIT: W.I.P DAY 01

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And a video:

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSn9XTnxre4

I'll post it quickly here: For those who are wondering or are going to ask: "Where did you get the models???" then I will have to dissappoint you: I created them in SketchUp, but this was already for some time on my plan to release this map after ze_SSBB_v1, but since CS:GO ze maps are pretty demanded atm I stopped ssbb until this map will be finished.

I modelled like a madman today and this is the result. I hope you like it so far

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIP day 02:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Even though it seems that there is less content added, this took me an entire day to add... The aligning of both the brushes and the models where very complicated (much more complicated than I had anticipated), but finally the crossform is about almost complete. I only need to add the head of the cathedral and the inside of it will be finished (yes there will also be a lot more props but those are nothing compared to the architectural design of the cathedral).

Then it will just be a matter of adding extra routes here and there (I have the idea to add some catacombs below the cathedral with epic graves and such, as well as two towers where you can go in to get above and see the outside of the cathedral a bit (it will be all 3D skybox for performance reasons). A path just gets randomly selected on each new round with hopefully some epic endings.

Special weapons will be included, however as weapons dissappear when you constrain them (which is very essential for special weapons) I will just not constrain them and hopefully you'll see them lying around xD

Modelled again like a madman today, have fun, gonna sleep!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 5
    • Like Like x 1
      JorisCeoen, Aug 13, 2012 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Aug 17, 2012
    • Nov 11, 2011
    • May 15, 2011
    • Apr 9, 2012
      I will try to upload a picture at the end of every day to keep people in touch :wink:
      • Like Like x 1
      • May 31, 2012
        You could try to release it on CS:S as well.

EDIT: Wait, will this be a modified, 'lite' version? If so, I have to talk to you.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        This is actually the project that used to be part of your multiproject, however I have not heard anything of it at all anymore so I personally thought the project was abandoned O.o I can still release a version for your multiproject.

Idk if this will be a light version. It's a quick-make project so I have no intention of making it highly detailed at all, so you could conisder it a lite version yes
      • Apr 9, 2012
        I'm going to upload a video pretty soon of the current W.I.P. after 1 full day of mapping (I started yesterday evening at... midnight till 4:00 AM but today the map really got to be started). In the mean time amuse yourself with some pics
        Post Merged, Aug 13, 2012
        Pics are upped now, something went wrong while uploading them previously
      • May 31, 2012
        If I can make a suggestion, I'd go with a whitish yellow on the lights, it would look a bit more 'mystical'. Adding volumetric light would fit it too, since it looks huge and beautiful, and this kind of effect would boost that feeling a bit more.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        JorisCeoen, Aug 13, 2012 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Aug 13, 2012
      • Feb 12, 2012
        From those pictures it looks pretty amazing!
      • Apr 9, 2012
        It should be a crossformed cathedral but I only managed to make the main corrider yet. I hope to make the full crossform tomorrow, however that'll be modelling again O.o
        I'm also (suggestion from @kirby8989) thinking of adding a top (or 2 tops like some cathedrals have) for a cool ending, but I'm not sure if it'll fit into my timescale
      • May 31, 2012
        That are very good textures! I'll see what I can do with them, thanks Envioke!
        Post Merged, Aug 14, 2012
        It appears that weapons are being removed if you constrain them (that's what happens for me in any case) as such special weapons will probably be a no go at this moment. I HOPE but I'm fairly sure they'll fix that. They'll have to for so many mods.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Currently as the cathedral is now (the crossform is finished) I get remarkably good fps because honestly I cared most about FPS. Even though the model are perfectly optimized, I was thinking that it would become too heavy anyways, but apparantly it isn't. Whne create a cordon around the entire map so I could see the cathedral being fully rendered at once (just for testing purposes because I tend to optimize it even more) I got 80+ FPS. That's good because it means that with 64 players it should still be easily runable.

I'll try to post pictures at the end of this day
      • Apr 9, 2012
        W.I.P. second section has been added with 5 screenshots and extra info again about in which direction the map's idea will go.

I wanted to say special thanks to @GiGaBiTe for explicitly having said to me that a 3D modelling program is the way to create such possible models for maps of this type (as well as completely optimized models). I haven't tried using propper for CS:GO but I can imagine it wouldn't work. However even without trying you could just make the props in the CS:S version of hammer and then port them over nice and easily.

Also thanks to @kirby8989 for the idea of the towers
        Thanks to @enviolinador for the cathedral textures link (I didn't used any but some will be very useful)
      • Nov 11, 2011
        WOW. Just WOW. AWESOME work bro. So detailed and great use of textures. :thumbsup:
      • Jan 24, 2012
        I love the looks! Totally amazing! Good work
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Today I was away and as such haven't been able to work on the cathedral at all. Because of this, some things that I originally planned will probably be limited or not included at all. Unless I work very quickly, I won't be able to fully finish the map by the time I reach my deadline. My deadline is 19 august (on 20 august I'm also available to work on it but only for a very short time. Once arrived at 20 august I will be unavailable until the 30 of August because then I will have to study 1 week 10 to 12 houres a day for my final examination of solfege. The final examination will occur on both the 29th and the 31th August. If the map is really unable to be released before the deadline, it will be at least for after the 31th of August. As such I'll do my best but I can't guarantee everything.

Have fun!
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Funny thing about the textures comment. I know of one post earlier on Kaemon's forums where I was giving a comparision of 2 models of the base of my cathedral: One was made in Hammer (which was the very first version of it with propper) and the second was this one (which was at that time not finished yet) and Kaemon told me it where the worst textures I could have found... I'm pretty firmly sure it was incorrect as I see teh cathedral right now ^^
      • Aug 15, 2012