Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ze_flaming_sky (new mapper here)

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by an14, Aug 15, 2014

1. Aug 15, 2014
    I come here motivated after seeing a youtube video from a series called "extra credits" urging me to "get out there and get feedback" which I ask for by getting into this community.

I have a map that is very much incomplete and lacks many things, but I wish to know, to what degree of "incompletedness" do you accept these maps?
    I want to (ideally) get into a server and record any comments (rage) that might come. Though since my laptop is mostly inadequate for ZE, it would be nice to have someone else record the session and then upload that video to youtube for me to review. Also some messages here in this thread on your thoughts on the map would be helpful

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqRQipHJ9g

A preview of my map is above.
    It needs work before it is even considered "barely playable". Though I can give you the BSP if you want. (ask for it)

The plates have fallen and have been respun repeatedly.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    • Aug 15, 2014
      Perhaps being more "pushy" than I should, I stress that I would like some kind of feedback here.
      Maybe you guys would have an interesting idea or 2 among the many trashy ones. (this is how I believe how suggestions best work)
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Can't really give any suggestions other than the obvious, since we don't know what it is based on, the target theme, or what you want the play style to be (such as run and gun, run>hold>run>hold... ,depends on ingame items/magics to advance, etc) So i guess i'll just state the obvious.
      • Proper lighting
      • Scale textures accordingly
      • Choose an appropriate model or better texture for the buttons (the elevator one is okay, i guess. replace that red one though)
      • Choose non-dev textures (that includes those ugly coloured Cable textures)
      • Make sure there are no leaks, this can greatly affect performance both server side and client.
      • Add some details (such as posters along the walls, stains, wires, small models, etc) throughout the map
      • Make sure it doesn't crash the server
      Good luck with your map!
    • Feb 21, 2007
      I test the majority of maps on PF. I guess I don't have rules for "incompleteness". Needs to be relatively "done" for it to go on the server for a large scale test. As tony said, having major bugs out, like server crashes and major lag, is ideal..as those things I generally dont like.

According to your video, there a lot of objects that still need textures. I don't know if it was your computer, or what, but there seemed to be a fair amount of lag.

And I think it'd be easier to give feedback if people could download the map and do their own run through.

For ZE maps, I personally find it difficult to help when someone says "can you suggest how to fix my entire map?". Rather, I find it easier when a mapper asks for help with something more specific like "need help with this hold point" or "need suggestions on how to end this part of map", etc etc.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Feb 27, 2012
        Was probably the recording software. Other than Shadow Play and Dxtory i don't know of any other program that records in high quality without murdering your frame rate.
      • Aug 15, 2014
        I appreciate the response, and it seems that most of the answers are indeed within myself, I feel I merely need to complete it.
        Though when I get to that "playable" state, I do wish for feedback on it.
      • Mar 29, 2012
        It also needs some lazers cuz mako has lazers
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Aug 15, 2014
          To display activity, and to illicit feedback.

I am in the process of implementing "heat paths" into the skyscraper which are pretty much obstacle courses (that damage the players whom take it) that are along the regular "run paths" (primary paths) that by the end of it, progress the humans somewhat in the "run path" (but not as good as progressing along the path regularly). The "heat paths" also function to help "push humans forward" since they allow the zombies to get behind careless path holders (shooters) (my map's paths are quite narrow, this is probably how I'll implement a means of forcing humans forwards). I think this method has some potential that the humans should be able to hear the zombies taking the heat path and adjust accordingly so they don't get surprised.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
          • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Nice job man. Very good for a first map. :thumbsup:
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Aug 15, 2014
            • Feb 21, 2007
            • Aug 15, 2014
            • Feb 27, 2012
              Sad face emoticon. It looks like a lot of fun too! :/
            • Oct 30, 2013
              Just make a zm map with a 10 digit key pad you will be an allstar
            • Oct 22, 2012
              Obviously you're not the only one that ever happened this, many mappers know how start but don't know how finish. You only have to see this section of WIPS, forget maps in progress has become something normal.

The 'cool' is make maps with many levels, stages, bosses, particles, npcs, some strange systems... but I always recommend that if you are new mapper, or tend to demotivate, make a simple map, but finish it. I mean, make a map step by step with betas (b1: one stage, playable...), and in the future update the map adding more things.

About the mapping, can help you make a unreal map with 'strange' textures, little details... example ze_kraznov_poopata, make a map like that is not so boring, and obviously easier to map.

I don't know if you have this problem or you can apply this concepts, but I think that it is right.

Good luck.
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • May 30, 2012
              • Oct 22, 2012
                Kim, epic example. Since I know him (several years ago), he has given me as a 4 or 5 names of wips, and I am still waiting that he complete any map. :wilt::wilt:
              • May 30, 2012
                Actually they have been shorted down to 2 maps.
                ze_Fapescape_rote yes slacky slacky me needs to complete stage 3 but i am too lazy and dumb.
                ze_jiggity_buu_reactor is still far in the light but it's out there and i have already had alot of designs going on.
              • Jan 11, 2011
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Aug 15, 2014
                  heh, I guess my plates have fallen. And I have re-spun them again. My productivity is low.