Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Ze_highmount_escape_1

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Super Mario, Jun 3, 2012

1. Oct 17, 2011
    So yeah, last week I started thinking of a ze map to work on in school when I have free time mostly during lunch period. Here is my first ze map I have started working on last week and before yesterday I finished my first hold spot. The map is based on escaping from a place to another with different and challenging spots in each. This is the first and easy place that I have finished.
    How to escape to another place? This is the fun part.
    Humans go on seagulls and ride on them and escape to another place after holding in that first area. The seagulls start off on the wires as shown in picture 4 and some will be somewhere else. There will be time before the zombies teleport to the jail as shown in picture 3 and humans ride and escape on the seagulls to the other area and get ready what they will be waiting for. After a time, the jail will break and the zombies go in the helicopter to the second area. The map will require a lot of path_tracks because I will make more then 10 seagulls. After finishing the second area, the seagulls will come again and ...(same thing over and over in each area). I would just like to ask good ze gamers the most fun parts of holding areas in ze that they can think of because I don't often play ze that much and I would like some ideas for the 8 areas that I will work on feedbacks. I have never seen a map with humans riding on animated seagulls and zombies following them in the chopper and that is why i thought of this idea in my first ze map that will mot be easy and requires more skills then any of my other maps.The seagulls will also be comfortable to go on and the levels will get harder and harder so the map will not get boring that easily and becomes more challenging and also first area is not that challenging and easy but I can assume that the map will look better and better as it goes from one area to the other.
    One more thing. Does anyone know any cooler name that matches this map? I am crappy in naming.
    Here are some pictures of the first area that is already done:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jul 28, 2011
      You should probably play a bit of ze yourself to get a feel of what kind of gameplay works and what does not :thumbsup:

Edit: the sea gulls sound awesome lol
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Feb 9, 2012
        hey ur first image is sorta broken. anyways one of the coolest defense idea i saw was on the map, ze_infested_Industries, which at the end of stage 1, humans enter a house. The house is 2 floors (3 if you count basement but that's for later) and about 6 or 8 windows. The windows have about 3 wooden plans blocking them and zombies are able to knife them, but bullets are filtered out so humans are suppose to shoot zombies away so they cannot knife it out. i thought this defense was very fun since it's basically the essence of how a real zombie apocolypse may be like where you're trying to shoot out hordes of zombies from getting into your home.

Any fun hold point could be since humans are gonna be riding seagulls (i don't know what it'll look like yet), you could maybe have waves of zombies intercepting the seagull's path as you're advancing by so humans will have to shoot the zombies off from w/e they're on. OR if the seaguls are huge, perhaps have 2 zombie cannons like the ones in ze_30_seconds and allow zombies to try to shoot other zombies onto the seagul.

But like grudge says, you should probably play a bit of ze first to get the idea of what we like. ideas may sound great but if it doesnt look balanced (since zm and ze is very different in terms of knockback, guns we use, zombie gameplay, etc) then it can turn out to be a horrible map.

What many ze mappers tend to do is once they finish their map, they join during the testing period and players usually will give criticisms and ideas for you that you may or may not include in a next update. You'll probably have to update your map quite a few times before it becomes viable to ze gameplay anyways.
      • Jan 2, 2012
        Ah, really glad that you decided to start mapping again. Heard that you quitted or something, could be wrong. Looks good so far, keep up the good work :smile:
      • Feb 9, 2012
        You could name it : ze_seagul_escape iono lol. since seagulls seem to be the most unique thing in the map so far. I say ditch the helicopter and make it a giant seagulcopter. This way it'll be a more unique map.
      • Oct 17, 2011
        I can't play anymore remember? Stupid science punished me and now my brother has my account. I work on maps in school and save the bsp and vmf and send it to my hotmail.

Images are fixed and yeah I also tried that map once but never made it to the end. Pretty cool idea but I will still think of making it in different ways and the seagulls are pretty small probably like 16 inches.trampolines and high buildings might be cool too. Thanks fr the opinion.
        Edit:for your last post, I can't make a giant seagull copter because the seagulls are animated models and you can't change their size because they are not props.
      • Jul 28, 2011

But anyways, here are my suggestions for hold spots:
        • Mix it up some, don't make every spot the same!
        • One of my least favorite hold spots is on mines of moria, where 1 edge warrior can easily screw over everyone. Try to avoid the one-noob-dooms-all size hold spot if you can!
        • Make a few dynamic spots (moving pieces and what not)
        • Try to make it so that if the humans don't all door-hug (ie they actually stay back and defend for a while), that spot is actually more advantageous for the humans to defend vs. defending at the door
        • Special weapons that help, but are not too OP and not totally useless
        • Don't punish the last people just for arriving last; sometimes those people in the back are the best team players (sometimes, though, they're just fatties)
        • Just play some ze and note what you like about maps or hold spots and what you don't like
        Edit: ah, that might make it difficult :razz:
      • Feb 9, 2012
        oh, that's a shame then. although i still think shooting zombies from a cannon is always a fun thing to do.
      • Oct 17, 2011
        So here is a video and not a tut of how the seagulls fly as a test and their land. Humans can't actually get on them easily and ride and they will fall. That is why I made the seagulls non solid and parented them with their animation to an invisible solid brush in them that will make the players look like they are on them. Sorry for the funny video name on YouTube

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUGixWxAoL8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Oct 17, 2011
          I already thought of that because of a ze map I player last year where humans escape on the big brown metal chopper and there is a canon in the end. I might actually do a canon like the one in that map at the end or a canon with shooting spheres and high damage like FirewavezZ's canon but that will be too much respawning entities and cause map crash
        • Oct 17, 2011
          So I have been working on ze_highmount_escape since April and I got some ideas from people to add cool stuff in it. I promess everyone that this ze map will be legit and very fun.
          Ok, so I decided to make 5 areas in this map where humans travel on the 8 animated seagulls from one area to another after beating one after another till they reach the 5th area to fight the 2 Antlion bosses and defeat their attacks. There are also weapon materias(about 5 or 6 or more that I am working on) for the humans
          I took one screenshots and saved them in paint but I hope they don't bother anyone looking bad because paint sucks and my steam does not work for a,reason in game and never opens.this map is not an easy map to beat and has only one level and will take 12 minutes at least to beat the map but there are some ammo crates added in some spots to help the humans.

First, I will start off with area one. The seagulls fly from the wire connecting or whatever they call them :razz: and all zombies will teleport to jail 35 seconds after spawning. Humans go on seagulls and escape then zombies go on chopper and follow them 25 seconds after. Here are 2 screenies of the seagulls at the beginning and the zombie Blackhawk with 2 zombies in front of it to show that it for zombies only.
          [IMG]
          [IMG]

The second area looks like this.
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          It is a big cave with some hold off spots and humans run to the top to meet up the seagulls and escape to the third area. This cave is all running and has about four hold off spots I think and an elevator to the top of the roof.Please do not take these electricity towers seriously, they apwere just a test for distance and the seagulls and they will be removed.

The third area will be kind of harder and will require teamwork to beat it because humans need to survive for 2 minutes in it and hold off the zombies till they teleport to jail and escape to the fourth area.
          Pictures of area 3:
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          Picture of the seagulls flying:
          [IMG]
          The seagulls go random-shuffle for who should start first and not all at one time, then another goes after the other randomly every 1.5 seconds in every are but the first one.

Here is the last holding area which is a small house with 8 windows, an arch door and a chimney. This was actually an idea from @911Trigger where he likes challenging maps like this. Humans have to hold the zombies preventing them from getting in for 1 minute and half till they teleport to jail and it won't be easy if there are to that much humans left but there are also some barricades that might help.
          Pictures of area 4:
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]

Here is the most challenging area. This place is where the two Antlion boss fights are found and must be beaten. This is a legit building and not that easy but easier then other areas to beat with few hold off spots till humans reach the roof and fight the first Antlion. I had already finished the five attacks of the Antlion guard. This Antlion does not attack humans but has some secret walls and toggles 5 of it's attacks which are:
          Burning the ground, pushing back to that vent which looks like a vacuum cleaner, toggling two crushing walls, toggling a wall with 3 metal generic moving blocks like lasers and a free one which is giving ammo. The Antlion will get pain and scream every time an attack has been beaten. You must shoot him to beat every attack. The attacks also go random-shuffle. The Antlion is also animated and will wake up on an env_shake and break the ropes. The zombies will be at that jail in the top watching the humans by that time. Pictures of the last area:
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]

I have not decided of how to continue the map yet but the second Antlion will be the green one and animated to attack and run at the humans.I might make the arena at 700 inches above that building where humans fight the second Antlion.
          Canons will also be added in the end to give the zombies a chance to fly to the humans if they aim well while they are riding the seagulls. I will not add canons in any other areas because there might be a chance of flinching the map and flying to the area where humans have not arrived yet and fuck up the whole round.

I Just want to say that a ze map is one of the hardest maps I ever worked on so far but it really thought me a lot of new cool ideas of boss fights and logic_cases and other things. Also, I hope this map does not crash because it might reach more then 1000 entities off the path_tracks of the 8 seagulls and the chopper. Where each seagull
          Has bout 30 entity path_track. Also, the five attacks of the Antlion took me three full weeks of work for the wall toggles and the set-ups and first Antlion itself has 193 entities without any other things from the map. I couldn't also take a clear shot of the seagulls flying because of how small they are but humans will never fall off of them. The seagulls are not solid and have a 24x24 nodraw tracktrain that makes it look like humans are on them. I will also work on the map designing as well when it is finished and add some snowmans and few displacements. The map also has a fog controller for less lagging and better rendering like flying world where you see the area when you get to it and some teleports under the areas **if** there is a possible way of jumping off.

-Will re-upload screenshots that do not open.
          -Map is for the great summer hunt contest :razz:
          -If you find any more cool ideas or bad things, tell me.
          -there was a,prefab grudge gave me made by @Kaemon showing how to make objects attacking humans. I will credit kaemon for that.
          -sorry for bad grammar and spelling.
          -If you find any cool songs for the boss fight and that match the theme, I beg you, post it and I will credit you. There is this song from an app called escape2012 that is about world end crash if anyone knows it's name and I am trying to find it but still I can't find the name of it.
          via http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k1SXaVcxTJw
          • Like Like x 1
            Super Mario, Jul 15, 2012 Last edited by Super Mario, Jul 15, 2012
          • Dec 30, 2011
          • Jun 18, 2012
            Looks a bit like voodoo and flying_world with the moving on to next islands. For the holding spots however I prefer not to stand still or to be trapped in 1 spot all the time, try making it dynamic so you'll have to move arround the islands.

As for a map name I'd say it looks like a high mountain you're playing on, and I know the name of a really high one, but with zombies I'd say that makes: Ze_Neverrest.
          • Nov 11, 2011

[IMG]
            • Funny Funny x 1