Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ze_toaster for CS:S

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Luffaren, Jan 27, 2013

Is it worth porting?

Aye aye cap'n! 35 vote(s) 92.1%
Nah, keep working on your secret project instead. 3 vote(s) 7.9%
  1. Feb 24, 2011

Download link here: http://csszm.gamebanana.com/maps/172086

Thanks for everyones support, a stable version is now out! :wink:

It's all in the title ladies and gentlemen. I've gotten some reoccurring requests from Envi and Magic, regarding a CS:S port for ze_toaster.

I personally feel a bit doubtful about the gameplay/fun value of the map ever since the testing on CS:GO. If anyone has any complaints/additional suggestions or general opinions, feel free to post here.
    I'm not intending to do any major changes if this goes through, just a fast port with some eventual fixes and custom particles to replace the CS:GO ones.

If you haven't seen the original one, feel free to give yourself a visit: http://csgo.gamebanana.com/maps/168155
    I'd be glad to hear your opinion. My decision will be based on YOU, the community, as i'm making my maps for you and you only :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
      Luffaren, Jan 27, 2013 Last edited by Luffaren, Feb 1, 2013
    • May 31, 2012
      Well, you already know my opinion. I would say that the map will be far more enjoyable on CS:S, mostly because I believe CS:GO feels weird for ZE and even more for big maps like yours. I couldn't really enjoy it in GO because, at the time, knockback and movement felt just... terrible; which is not a map issue.

I'd love to see it done.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jan 12, 2012
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 5, 2012
          if it only takes a couple of days to compile over and fix, but gives maybe some weeks of fun i would see it as a good thing :smile:

And yea, the movement in CS:GO feels so heavy and clunky. Not optimal for ze.
        • Jan 19, 2013
          Your maps are great , so i think you should port it to source.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Only if it cooks toast while escaping. I won't have it any other way.

But yes, I would like you to port it.
        • Jul 17, 2012
          Played the map a little bit in CSGO, but would be really cool to see it in CSS :grin:

Little Question: how long does it take to port a map from GO to Source?
        • Feb 24, 2011
          I am officially pausing the secret project in order to port ze_toaster to CS:S.

It all depends on the map itself, it can include more or less work depending on what you have in it.
          You'd need to replace textures, props, sounds, certain entities and probably go through some testing sessions before you have a play-worthy port.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jun 18, 2012
            You know you evolved from a toaster bender? (Btw just listen to that background sound, isn't that great?)
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Feb 24, 2011
              As i got to work i realized how big of a horrible mess the map was in, so i decided to remove almost everything except for the layout, the basic trigger layout and the skybox. Where i now have a chance to start over and (hopefully) improve the map from the previous version.

I thought that this might be an excellent opportunity for me to implement some community-requests into the map.

Feel free to post your requests and deepest desires and i might put it into the map if i approve.
              Music? Sounds? Items? Bosses? Secrets? Map mechanics? Anything you can come up with. I won't be too picky of what you request, since the maps theme isn't really forced to anything.
              Go nuts folks! :wink:

..prety pless? :c
            • May 5, 2012
              I will add more suggestions if i come up with any.
              An item for the zombies which is a toaster, when used it will heal them or a toaster for humans which gives ammo when used.
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Well yea Luffaren, I've thought to do the same with ze_cathedral (I asked you about that on how you could port them from cs:go to source) but no matter what I try (even removing every single entity from GO which does not appear in CS:S) it crashes.

Removing all entities makes it port over, but without porting any entities it's gonna be a very very very hard job to relocate all triggers and all the pletora of garbadge.

I'm however willing to do it if it's really needed to, but I warn everyone beforehand that it's a very heavy FPS eating map, so perhaps after SSBB I might poll for ze_cathedral too.

---------------------

About your map, sure, we need more maps!
              EDIT: I hope you will be able to fix the ligthing dots problem from before though xD
            • May 31, 2012

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9YOc4lrvc

Any other song from Golden Eye 64 would do too, 007 getting into the terro-toaster where mad scientists have created a monster-toast? Purrrrfect!

If any, I'd say adding as much randomness in paths as possible (for example, you have 3 paths but on the paths 3-4 different prop layouts can spawn) to increase playability. I don't think levels would fit -in case somebody comes and suggests them- but, if you were to add them, they shouldn't be any more than changing the hold layouts, twisting the map a bit or so... Also, twists, different thingies to do in the map; puzzles -simple- that need of 2-3 humans doing things (nothing too fancy, mind you)?

As for items goes... Unless it's something neato you can come up with -which I believe you can, but dunno if it should be used here- I think they don't make much sense on this map.

Dunno, as long as the map is hard and entertaining it will be ok.
            • Jan 21, 2011
              Have a shield that is a slice of bread. And give it an ability to slap the ground and push zombies back.
              • Feb 24, 2011
                This is pretty much how the CS:GO version is like. I have randomized paths each round with randomized "objectives" where in one of them you need multiple players to solve/speed up an event.
                I intend to keep it similar in this version aswell, but hopefully improved on top of that.

That's why i deleted almost everything except for the most important triggers/systems which were a pain to build up. I'll recreate the rest in no-time, and hopefully better made now as i have modeling and particle creation at my disposal.

Perfect examples you guys! This is the kind of feedback i was hoping for. Thank you! :thumbsup:
                • Artistic Artistic x 1
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  How did you not have modelling at your disposal for CS:GO? (Just curious)
                • May 31, 2012
                  Well, if the special item ideas catch up, what about some butter that makes zombies slide and/or that can be turned into FLAMING FLAMES OF HELL if you throw a nade -Minas-Oil style-? A butter knife could do wonders too, maybe going back and forth 'stabbing' zombies? Also, a jar of jam. Zombies get slowed down due to dem blueberries being tasty.
                • May 5, 2012
                  The butter could be spewed out of a kind of flamethrower!
                • Mar 20, 2012
                  I dont know if u played the Zombiemaster mod, but there was a redqueen/biohazard map with a suicide room. But it was triggerd that way that at least 1(who commits suicide) was needed to make the door open to make progress.
                  Maybe this human is in place of a cable/wire(thats broken/defect) and has to conduct electricity inside the toaster(this should look funny somehow, and humans can watch him(the true hero) die), to make a gate/side way open or something like that.
                  Its a little like on saw or paper, its always very funny to see many people going in that room(cause newbies) or (later when they know the map) nobody goes in it but they cant progress then...

But I dont know if this can be implemented in a map with many random paths like this one probably is

Ahaha plz dont take the song 2 seriously^^

boss music:

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLQhzsJG0A