Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ze_tremors

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Chris Jenkins, Mar 12, 2013

1. Jan 14, 2013
    Well I'm slowly working on my ze_tremors map. I pretty much have the first stage done. It basically a two minute zm mode in the town of perfection then you move on to the second part

Im looking to do this in 4 parts

1. zm survival in perfection for 2 min

2. rescue edgar from electric pole (looking to add an item, not sure what though).
    Going up the mountain , with holds on the way to find edgar on the top on the electric pole and find an item, probably like pipe bombs from the movie

3. a stage where you need to jump across props to get through the level, Im going to probably add ramps like in mirrors_edge , if you touch the ground you die here. Not sure how to keep the zombies occupied on this part yet, maybe some button work like on deathrun? IDK deathrun never seems to work since one dude runs by and sets off all buttons..... Or maybe have the props slowly sinking in quick sand so you have a time limit to cross (to prevent humans from just shooting zombies over and over) .. so many options!!

4. A run across the desert , up to the rocks where they defend like on the movie. Not really lookin to do a boss just yet since I could get in too deep too quick

the players also get to move through graboid tunnels (which has been a lifelong dream for me since seeing the movie hahahaha)

Id like any ideas or advice on the vmt or bsp. Thanks (I saw a few rocks floating, and some disappearing props, with displacements I need to fix but if you see something please mention it thanks!

I've got a quick question , Is there a way to toggle the solidity / visibility of a displacement? I've got a graboid hole opening I want to appear / disappear at times in my map but the displacements dont seem to like being entities!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      I've never heard of this but I may be wrong. You can, however, place a func_brush to be seamless with your displacement and then you can toggle that which will make it appear that the hole opened up.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Nov 19, 2010
        Looks nice :smile: Cant wait to play it:thumbsup:
      • Apr 1, 2012
        lol, was good movie, do we get to play as Bacon?

wait, where's goldblum?
        iProbie, Mar 12, 2013 Last edited by iProbie, Mar 12, 2013
      • Jun 11, 2012
        While I await for this exciting map..... You kinda blew me away with Goldblum and now all map seem boring :frownbig:

Still can't wait and you are ramping up as a mapper, good for you.
      • May 12, 2012
        awww wtf this map is ganna be sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the movie was cool

you should make the bad ass shotgun the guy had when he killed the big worm in his basement as a item.
      • Mar 8, 2013
        great stuff man. also reminds me i need to get around to watching tremors one of these days...

it looks like the road "pops up" out of the ground though, which isn't quite natural. it would look nicer if you made a road using paint alpha with a blend texture.
      • Jan 14, 2013
        LoL goldblum is gunna have to wait, I dont know how to do a functional boss and goldblum needs to be a boss :smile:
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Oct 17, 2011
          I don't think func_brush is a good idea because it remains until the next round. You can somehow use something simple which is a func_wall_toggle and check visibility in flags. I don't think displacements work with having them tied to entities but I also never tried it. Goodvlookin map by the way. Keep up the work. It reminds me of red dead redemption undead nightmare.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          That's why you have to add an output for next round for it to be active/inactive. It's a simple one line output.
        • Jan 14, 2013

2.nd stage where you need to go find edgar at the electric tower. Looking to add an item but no idea how to do this Ill have to find a tutorial somewhere :smile:

this was part a lot more fun because there were more triggers/entities!! Ive got the bsp if anyone wants to take a run through it to look for the errors that I know are there lol

Its definitely hard to gauge where to put holds and how long to hold for, it does really help to play the best ZE maps to get an idea for this. ze_tremors410006 ze_tremors410012 ze_tremors410011 ze_tremors410010

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
          • Nov 19, 2010
            Looks awesome =D Can't wait for it to finish so we can try it out =D
            Is that a picture of the movie? o.O just curious..
          • Mar 20, 2012
            I hope u know that u have to pack all your custom content in the bsp later when its finished otherwise we only see the "missingtexture"-texture.
            1stage zm places are all working I think, theres only a bush, which model went through a wal// maybe add a console message for the beginning aswell, that its zm mode and for how long, ull probably do this anyway....when it ended it took a time until I found where I have to go ...the tremor hole mhh...maybe make a little explosion(are always good) to indicate where it is or something different.

At the 2nd stage I would remove the ladder from the jumping part where the 2 buttons are....it feels ackward to use it cause u could easiliy use the brushstairs instead...I would increase the timewindow when zombies are allowed to follow after the elevator opened for humans. Maybe add some breakeables woodplanks instead cause its fun to shoot the way open
            For the last climbing part I would recommned u a system like on mako which doesnt punish failers.. add teleports if they fall down or make it easier for them. Just imagine this first climbing part with 50 players on such a small ledge on the left and right side. And if u fall down u are dead. For zombies the same...if they fall down they cant really catch up anymore, port them 1 or 2levels lower so that they can still reach the humans in time....
            thought about an chopper ending ?^^ I cant remeber the tremor movies well, maybe u want to stick to them and there wasnt a heli or? But would fit for this climbing ending I think.

And if u do an item like an elephantkiller item...make it like gauss on pred?^^
            the guttering light mh

[IMG]
            the explosive can
            [IMG]
            idk if this is intended^^
            [IMG]
            nodraw +decals under the world
            [IMG]
            if u look through a model it only displays the side which u are looking at, probably easy 2 fix for a mapper ...idk the problem yet. mh
            [IMG]

This are all some minor things and only ideas/suggestions, maybe u had most things already in mind ...at 2nd stage were also some things u better dont want to see if the map is done, but im sure u know that ^^

Keep up the mapping ! :wink:
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Missing textures can be fixed by using PackBSP, I have no idea what the second picture is but I guess a heavily stretched overlay, I have a hard time understanding how you were able to use nodraw as a texture without it applying it's effect xD and the last, the truck probably has another model with it's glasses only so we can't see throught the truck.
            • Nov 11, 2011
              When you nodraw a brush, then you select the WHOLE block (choosing all six faces instead of just one face) and make a displacement, the nodraw texture will not take effect and will actually show up in game.
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Nodrawing a displacement is the death sentence
            • Jan 14, 2013
              Had no Idea I had to pack the custom textures! I thought they were inserted into the bsp already, is it the same for sound files? Anyhow I used packbsp it was simply thanks Joris.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I had a large ladder that unlocks when the humans reach the top of tower so zombies can skip the needless climbing for most of the tower but I didnt think about the humans falling, ill add some teleports so when they fall they only go down a level or two

Im not sure whats going on in the second picture, I think I just stretched the displacement faces so much when there is a decal (as the gas can explosion or bullet) it stretches that too like you said heavily stretched overlay.
              I seriously keep doing this ! (selecting my block with the select tool then making a displacement, forgetting I have selected 6 sides! Ill find that and fix it
            • Apr 1, 2012
              if you want to add special items/weapons, ask @enviolinador for his weapon prefabs that you can borrow/use/steal
              • Like Like x 1
              • Jan 14, 2013
                Thanks! I'd love to have an example to see how they are even made
              • Jan 14, 2013

Added the fall safe to tower climb
                Better graboid tunnels
                Nestor tire trap
                Redid most of the tower on the second stage
                More realistic graboid pit
                Fixed the blocky looking road
                More props!

(I finally figured out the difference between dynamic prop and physics

Please let me know if the bsp was packed correctly or not! I dont really have a way to test if myself short of deleteing some custom textures just to try it (unless there another way) :ROFL:

If anyone wants to test it with me as I have no idea how the holds work out let me know , thanks!
                Something that hasnt occured to me before, how do you set up a server for zombies?

Attached Files:

• Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                  HONEY BOO BOO WARS, Mar 15, 2013 Last edited by Chris Jenkins, Mar 15, 2013