Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ZM Surf Maps

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by sajak, Aug 26, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    Since I've gotten bugged about this like seven times in the past two days by different people... I think it's about time I make an official thread for suggesting ideas for ZM Surf maps.

Seems people really want this to happen, so at the least, @Tony the Tiger!! :D and myself will start taking suggestions. I'm sure he's a little swamped with the other maps he's fixing (forsaken, alpha jungle, some other gay map). But, it will happen.

Start posting away any ideas you may have. I'm sure someone will suggest a lila panic styled map so that's already checked off ( feel free to hit us up @Dirtbag if you want to join in on the mapping for this one cupcake ;] ).

Looking forward to your replies. =]
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 2
    • Jan 21, 2011
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Jan 21, 2011
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Feb 27, 2012

Jk i'm dtf lets make zm_surf babies.

Btw, we should make zm_surf_towers_redux and zm_surf_atix
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              • Jul 20, 2010
                If your going to make zm surf maps, then make the surfing simple so people that are just joining to play zm aren't fucked over.
              • Jan 21, 2011
                I think the surfs should be there as an alternate way of getting to places or allow players to run around and try to survive rather than making a cade.
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  I was thinking of making a large spawn area with two or three paths. One that leads to a training area, one that leads to the main surf area, and maybe the third one go to a regular cade/hold part of the map.
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  You have officially been removed from the mappers group for this idea. :lying: lol

No, I like Seeker's idea... For example, there could be a whole bunch of ladders and boxes to get to places but would be time consuming to get to higher places. That's where the surfs would come in to play. I like that idea.
                  • Agree Agree x 2
                  • Dec 30, 2006
                    Anything is acceptable. Just a statue of retslag.
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
                    • Feb 1, 2011

Think skillsurf - it would be a stage map where each stage gets progressively harder. If you fail a stage, you get teleported back to the beginning where you are sure to die. There is a cade/hold spot at the end of each stage, as well as a teleport to the next stage. So humans get to decide whether to hold at the stage they just completed, or continue on to the next and risk failing and getting stabbed by getting teleported to the beginning.

The basic concept would be that the further you get, the safer you are likely to be in your spot since zombies may not have the skill to complete the stages to get to you. So you complete as many stages as you can and set up at the hold/cade spot of the stage you decide to stop on.

So humans would try to get as far as possible without failing to get the "safest" hold spot. Zombies would have to choose whether to focus on people held up on easy stages, or continue progressing on to try to get players on later stages.

This might not work at all, just an idea!

PS: I feel like this would work best if all the hold spots were similar/identical so that the safeness of the spot is determined by the difficulty of the surf rather than how easy the spot itself is to hold.
                      • Like Like x 2
                      • Winner Winner x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                        dillinger, Aug 27, 2013 Last edited by dillinger, Aug 27, 2013
                      • May 15, 2011
                        I like Dillinger's idea. This would be a lot easier to make than just some random assortment of connected cades via surf ramps. For a theme, we could go Rota Derp on its ass (Drugged fueled, I mean.) and have the level get progressively weirder the farther down you go. Why? People like wierd things, and it will give players incentive to continue there journey forward, risking their lives to see something new. Another thing that might or might not be worth mentioning is having guns become available to players based on level, and not just bought. This would really help if we made snipers last, which there undoubtedly will be assholes who camp the surf ramps. Or just remove snipers in its entirety, your call.
                        • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                        • Mar 26, 2012
                          Dillinger's idea is interesting. I like it.
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Oct 17, 2011
                            Make a huge surfing pyramid. It is one of my favorites especially the one on surf facility. Also, you can make teleports high in the sky where it will be hard to reach and the harder you have to reach a teleport, the better the spot is.
                            As for dillinger's idea, it looks great but don't know if it's zm or ze sided. If you want to make his idea, make sure you make lots of traps and lasers, smokes that block views and other cool things that make the map harder.
                            Good luck.
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Jan 21, 2011
                              The only problem I see with Dill's idea is it may alienate some of the players who aren't experienced surfers. Take wtfhax for example; if there's a human that knows most of the secrets, its pretty much guaranteed the humans will win and zombies will get bored and rtv simply because they cant find the humans.
                              I still think the surf maps should complement the travel paths around the map rather than be the only way to get to certain areas. And what would be really fun would to have some sort of surf track so to speak that could go about the whole map for those who simply want to see how long they can survive while surfing sort of like how many people played twinsteel.
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Winner Winner x 1
                              • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                              • Mar 30, 2013
                                • 2 minutes of surf
                                • The rest of the time is ZM

It could have a surf part with ~10 levels, and humans need to go to the farthest. After the 2 minutes, depending of the level where there were, they will be teleported to a camp post.

Example: A bad surfer, was stuck at the level 1, after 2 minutes, he will get teleported with all others bad surfers (of the level 1), at the easiest spot to take for zombies (no barricades, and no crouch area for example). While the good surfer which reached the level 10, will be teleported to a hard spot to take for zombies.

For the teleport area, why not make a tower, with 10 floors (for the 10 levels), and stairs to go up for zombies. To not let humans, go in another spots (ex: level 1 surfer, go in the level 2 spot), you should make an invisible wall filtered for humans.
                                For the start area, zombies should only be able to go to the Level 1. Humans who fall will get teleported to the level 1 (bad for level 9 player :wink: ) OR, they get teleported to the previous level (ex: level 3 player fall --> he go back to level 2 | then he fall again --> he go back to level 1).

I hope you understood, what I explained :smile: