Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_alpha_jungle

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Mar 11, 2013

1. Feb 27, 2012
    So I got inspiration to come up with a more original idea for the ZM server. There aren't any real jungle maps on there. There are aztec type maps, but not anything really related to a jungle. So, I've started working on this 2 days ago. Not much to show because I keep getting distracted when I'm working on it. Here's a couple screenshots of it. I don't plan to put any secrets because people tend to complain. Maybe a secret room that opens if you shoot certain areas of a room, then opens up a room with some trail weapons or something that people tend to enjoy getting, but nothing where players could sit there and let rounds drag on being the only one(s) left alive.

One of the little swamp pools.
    [IMG]

The other swamp pool. A player or two can hold down that spot at the top of that log without getting stabbed from below, not even by stacking.
    [IMG]

A deer stand prefab @sajak made for me.
    [IMG]

A large 2 story building with some overgrowth coming off of the second floor.
    [IMG]

The inside at the back by the stairs with mat_fullbright on since I don't have any lighting in there.
    [IMG]

This is very early right now, so there isn't much to show and some of it still looks pretty off. Just thought I'd share what little I have so far.

First playable beta release:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/49bymxh3ztklceh/zm_alpha_jungle_beta2.rar
    • Like Like x 6
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 6
      Tony The Tiger, Mar 11, 2013 Last edited by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Sep 12, 2013
    • Jan 14, 2013
      Really cool makes me think of the movie predator!
    • Nov 19, 2010
      rtv for alpha_jungle =D
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Feb 8, 2013
        That is so sick, Tony! Release it soon! I can't wait to test it out!
      • Feb 11, 2012
        Reminds kinda old map cs_jungle
      • Feb 27, 2012
        That 2 story building is based off of the one from cs_jungle, but i remade it completely from scratch.
      • Nov 11, 2011
        We're going to make this map look like Far Cry. :vampire: Btw guys, we're still taking requests for maps if you want something in particular. I still have dillingers zm+surf map idea in mind (just need to collab with someone good at ramps first). But if you have strictly ZM map ideas in mind, feel free to hit us up. This is our effort so far at making maps for pF.

zm_breakout (shutup, on server but redoing this, WIP)
        zm_towers_redux (finished and on server)
        zm_atix_redux (finished and on server)
        zm_the_edge (finished and on server)
        zm_abandoned_highway (finished, awaiting testing)
        zm_desert_burial (finished, awaiting testing)
        zm_corporate_office (finished, awaiting testing)
        zm_alpha_jungle (WIP)
        • Like Like x 2
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Map is just about finished. Here are a few more screenshots.

Nice little hut @sajak for me.
          [IMG]

Various screenshots of the 2 story building.
          [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Little storage hut.
          [IMG]

Inside of it, hold spot on both sides.
          [IMG]

Random screenshot.
          [IMG]

[IMG]
          • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
          • Artistic Artistic x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            This map looks fucking amazing. That little duck in the last picture made me giggle. :giggle:
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jan 14, 2013
            • Nov 29, 2012
              ohhh looks good i am excited to play it =D
            • Feb 27, 2012
              I took a few more screenshots. Got a new building. Should be testing it, hopefully today. It won't be going on the server, i just want to see what people think and if they can give me suggestions.

New mossy-stone type structure.
              [IMG]

Inside of structure
              [IMG]

Inside of structure
              [IMG]

Inside of a different building
              [IMG]

[IMG]
              • Like Like x 3
              • Apr 9, 2012
                Do you create all of the custom content? (such as the trees etc)
              • Feb 27, 2012
                I don't know how to do modeling, so no. I wish i did sometimes, because it would have made some things much easier lol. All the brush work was by me or sajak.
              • Feb 3, 2012
              • Apr 9, 2012
                While with modeling it does make you create anything, and solves all your mapping obstacles, it doesn't make it easier xD Not that you implied it was easy, but what I mean is that sometimes if you can create something with propper, but better with modeling, the modeling would probably be harder to do (with the UV-mapping) than propper.

However, don't touch propper if you can model however.

If you ever need something badly, and you can't find it, you can always ask me and I'll model it for you.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  I'm going to be going on sourcesdkmodels.com sometime this month for a request. Be ready! :razz:
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  Got to test it out today. Got a few suggestions, and i like the feedback i got. People seemed to like it so far.
                  ~Add an underground area through the water, maybe an alternate way there through a stump that i have
                  -Thinking a cave system, shouldn't be too complicated. Going to be a lot of play with displacements though.
                  ~More Buildings
                  -Was suggested a treehouse
                  -Was suggested a cade/hold area in the foliage somewhere, could be fun
                  ~Deer Stand was pretty over powered with the amount of people that were there, so i need to make an alternate entrance, or find a way to balance it

Issues i encountered
                  ~Temple building glowed purple/black for some people, have to debug that.
                  ~The textures that i have for the little shack and inside one of the buildings have an issue where you can see right through it, almost like a wallhack. That sucks, because i really liked that texture. I'll figure something out
                  ~Very low frame rates, but that is because it is not optimized at all yet

If anyone else here was present for the testing, post your suggestions/ideas/issues here. All ideas and such are welcomed.
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  You're probably not going to be needing anything more the $basetexture in the vmt file. Remove everything else since you're not using any other options. It's probably looking for a specular or normal map that doesn't exist.
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  Began adding some new things to this map... As haplo suggested when we tested it out on the server, i began work on an underground cave system. Not much there yet, but i moved the temple building into the underground... Did it for FPS reasons, and it looks better down there. Here's some more screenshots.

First entrance to the cave system. Jump onto the stump, and you get teleported.
                  [IMG]

Inside view of the entrance. There is a func_brush that you get stuck in for .2 seconds so you don't go flying into a displacement and get stuck. It makes you drop straight down into the water below
                  [IMG]

Landing place from teleport... Cave system is very small right now, just began work on it today. There will be an exit that comes up through one of the water pools outside.
                  [IMG]

The temple building in the cave... needs more lighting, but i haven't gotten there yet.
                  [IMG]

The cave system will have a few hold/cade spots, and won't get excessively large. Will post more screenshots as i get close to finishing the cave system.
                  • Mapping King Mapping King x 1