Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_base_winter WIP

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by GiGaBiTe, Feb 21, 2011

1. Mar 26, 2009
    One of the admins asked me to fix this map, but since I keep myself to a high standard, I rebuilt the map from scratch to avoid messy and ugly decompilation/recompilation issues. It's about 50% done so far, C&C is welcome. Run the video in 720p to see the snow blowing around.

Beta release of map is ready to be tested:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wddhnvi864mwfou

The map is ready for public testing. There are probably several bugs that I haven't seen so keep your eyes open.
  2. Sep 22, 2010
  3. Jun 4, 2006
    That looks a lot better, can't wait to see it when it's done and throw it on the servers. :thumbsup:
  4. Sep 5, 2010
    Another amazing edit, hope it has lots of new secrets to find. Good job dude.
  5. Jan 12, 2011
    Love the transporter appearance.
    Fail jump at 2:13. :razz:
    Tower room you show at the end needs at least one more prop, like a cabinet or something. Just feels empty.

If it's not too much work, could I suggest a new spot? At around 0:40 you pass the three large blue cargo containers. I know in the original that top one used to be open, and being a zombie was generally hard to swarm if that place had two or more humans in it due to the thin ledge for it. Suppose you added some crates to the front of it to make it more accessible?

Overall, great work and I look forward to your progress / finished version! :smile:
  6. Apr 9, 2007
    Fantastic work, thank you for doing this.
  7. Mar 13, 2010
    Freaking loving the looks of this maps aesthetically so far. Just a few questions.

1) Are you going to readd all the rooms in the basement because those were like some of the best spots in the game.
    2) Will you be adding new secrets/camp spots for CTs to use?
    3) Will you be sharing these secrets with people (mostly me/other admins) so we can laugh at the noobs?
  8. Mar 26, 2009
    Maybe, don't know yet. I need to get the map completely rebuilt before I change anything significant.

1) The only thing I'm thinking about not rebuilding in the new map is the laser hallway. First, if just one human gets past the laser room, they can make it absolutely impossible for zombies to get past the laser hallway. The final laser grid does 8000 damage and is unavoidable, so all a human has to do is shoot through the door and reduce the zombies health (I think only the zombine has 8000 hp, and only if he's the first zombie) and they can't get through. Second, even if miraculously a zombie doesn't die, they can spam the lock door button and make them go through the trap all over again (or if more zombies walk in.) Finally, the laser hall uses a retarded amount of entities and brushes so re-creating it without any bugs will be an extreme pain in the ass.

tl;dr the laser hallway is a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

2) Probably not. I learned from wtfhax that nobody likes change and would rather play a shit unoptimized level that looks like ass rather than have something nice to look at while playing. I'm probably going to get the same whiney shit from people who play this map because a wall moved 2" to the left and they are completely lost because of it.

3) You aren't getting preferential treatment just to be an asshole to regular players. You're going to have to find stuff like everyone else.
  9. Apr 9, 2007
    If you want to retexture it (I loved the last retextures), by all means do so. People just complain that triggers change. This map was never officially released.
  10. Mar 13, 2010
    1) Understand and agreed. I was mainly thinking of the other rooms. You should replace that one though if you can/want to.
    2) Pssh, fuck whiney bitches. They can go somewhere else if they dont like it. Make something bigger and better and we'll test it. If we like it, we can keep it and say fuck the haters.
    3)My inner asshole is what drives me to be such a great, lovable admin. XD

4) Whatever you do, I'm sure I'll like it. Never liked this map a WHOLE lot to begin with, so anything could be an improvement on it. Keep us posted though. :smile:
  11. Oct 21, 2010
    I love this map but there is one area that sucks. The invisible room down stairs needs a little makeover. Can you edit that? Maybe a break out window where the invisble window is? Just a thought....

Taz
  12. Jul 20, 2010
    I would say leave that area alone that taz is talking about. I like that spot cuz you need to do it right as a zombie to get in :smile:
  13. Mar 26, 2009
    If you're talking about the room in the wall where you can only see out and not in, that room is going to be changed definitely. It will probably still be concealed, but the entrance is going to be easier to get into (no more lip on the floor to get stuck on.) To compensate for the change, I'll put a metal desk or something so the entrance can be blocked.
  14. Sep 25, 2010
    Cades can be easily glitched through, jumping in there was not hard, I see no reason to why that room should be changed.
  15. Mar 26, 2009
    I've heard both sides of the argument on that spot numerous times. Many people hate the fact you have to crouch jump as a zombie to get into it when you have more than 3 people shooting at you at the same time, making it nearly impossible to get in. The only chance zombies have to get in is if some of the humans get distracted, which doesn't often happen when you have skilled players holding the spot.

I'm going to try and change the entrance to where you can walk directly into it, but also make it to where it can be barricaded without the possibility of zombies glitching through it easily, we'll see how it turns out. if it doesn't work out, I can just make it the old way with maybe an alternate entrance to make it easier for zombies.
  16. Feb 21, 2007
    Looking forward to seeing this map. When you get closer to complete, if you'd like, I can take a look around it and provide some insights.

I'll upload it as soon as I see a link and you give the green light :thumbsup:
  17. Oct 21, 2010
    True that. It is nearly impossible to get in that room. I agree lets give it a test run with the change. Like you said if it doest work you can change it back.

thanks
    Taz
  18. Jul 20, 2010
    Its' not nearly impossible to get in there as a zombie I've done it many times. But meh, why I like the map, see people in that spot and I come by and kill them. Alot of the other skilled players can do it also. Like someone else said glitching through cades is very easy. What makes that spot fail most of the time is everyone trying to get in there and someone turning inside.
  19. Feb 1, 2010
  20. Mar 26, 2009
    Like you said, skilled players. If you have a bunch of nubs in the spot and skilled players on the outside, outside wins. A bunch of skilled players on the inside and nubs on the outside, inside wins. Since there is lots of asshattery in the server, the groups tend to sort themselves out with people blocking who they don't want with them until zombie spawn, which almost guarantees one of the two happen.

The status quo of the map is pretty much everyone in the map either ends up in the hidden room in the wall or the room with the control room balcony, and the rest of the map is sparsely used, if at all. In older versions of the map when those areas didn't exist, you had people spread all over the map, not just in the basement which made it more fun instead of the monotony of having to chase humans to the exact same spots every single time.