Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_blockfort

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Flare, Oct 31, 2016

1. Oct 31, 2016
    So I was bored and had the urge to recreate some of my favorite N64 locations in Hammer. My first attempt was Peach's Castle from Mario 64, which I didn't get very far in making, but I learned how to import custom textures in the process.
    This is my second attempt: zm_blockfort.

[IMG] [IMG]

Now, the original Block Fort in Mario Kart 64 only had it where every fort was exactly the same, only boasting different colors.
    In order to make it more interesting and fit into the lines of a ZM map, I've given each fort its own unique trait.

[IMG]

Screenshots

[IMG]
    Several boost pads are seen around the outside edge of the map. These pads push the player in whatever direction the arrow points. This was made to allow players to reach places faster, since it can be a hassle sometimes trying to find a new spot. If the server settings allow, even less experienced bhopping players can gain speed quickly and easily using these pads. The ramps to get onto the forts can also be used to gain height when you have lots of speed from the boost pads. However, fall damage is not disabled on this map, so be careful.

The map design nearly complete. I would say around 80% done, with only the ground-level spots, the red fort's roof, and the "secret" needing to be finished. The map will be posted on Gamebanana when finished.

Hopefully, someone can test this when I release it so I can see if some spots are too overpowered or underpowered, if there are bugs, etc.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
    • Apr 26, 2015
      NOSTALGIA TRIP. That was probably the funnest map.

If you were to put in surf corners the speed boosters would be so fun. Totally looking forward to playing this.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Oct 31, 2016
        Ooooh there's an idea! Added to my to-do list. Thanks!

Besides that, quick update before I take a break and/or go to bed:

Finished Red Fort's roof and finished the "secret" clouds above the rest of the forts, accessible via a noteblock that is revealed by a secret button somewhere. The noteblock bounces players up when you press Use. Water has been placed around the noteblock/in front of spawns so that players can have multiple chances at getting up to the pixel-like clouds. (Technically voxels but idfc) The clouds have water near the middle and edge of them to prevent fall deaths and also a upwards push block is placed between the clouds to easily let players get to either side without having to fall, acting similar in nature to the whole ice-skating minigame thing.

Since Kyro gave me the idea to put surf ramps on the corners, the ground-level cades and such will be replaced to new locations. The surf ramps will be in the corners as said, but the groundlevel cades will now be placed on top of these ramps. The wall will also be changed to let players simply climb up to it via ladders.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Aug 6, 2016
          @masterchodda You have some competition coming at you hard here sir... Ramps and speed boosts and now surf curves...AK, Grasshoppers, Candy, Barbie, Kronus and all the other bhopper prodigies are gonna be going crazy here! :nailbiting::evilgrin:
          I notice @Flare also doesn't have the mapper status yet. You know what that means. :clap:
          I do have one question though. Do the 4 bottoms levels of the towers have smaller rooms inside them for more cade sots or have you not made it that far yet?
          This was definitely a nice thing to see when I first got on here.
        • Oct 31, 2016
          There are a handful of cade rooms in the lower levels of all of them except Blue, but there aren't many inside due to it being a fairly small area and I wanted to focus on mixing together cade rooms and open areas. There are a couple of cade rooms in the upper levels of the forts.

[IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]
          [IMG]

I took inspiration on some of these cade room from some various other ZM maps, such as Lila Panic's short closet-like room where you can stack two vendies on their sides and make a pretty solid cade. Hell I even included a red crate in the Red Fort just for those people that like the red crate on Firewall and the like. :razz: I also got those surf ramps working great and I added small spots on top of two of them, as well as ladders to the top of the wall on all four sides.

But, after a long excruciating 7 hour-long normal VIS compile, we finally have the first version of the map ready to go! (I think from now on, I'll choose Fast VIS since I couldn't really notice a difference and my computer is complete garbage so I can normally tell when I get a framerate boost. Plus I'll probably be doing optimization by hand from now on as well, since I'm new to that.)

Screenshots of the first release:

Map download here: http://gamebanana.com/maps/192819
          • Like Like x 2
            Flare, Nov 1, 2016 Last edited by Flare, Nov 1, 2016
          • Apr 26, 2015
          • May 5, 2011
            Just tested it, got a leak. Skybox looking crazy glitchy? @Flare
          • Oct 31, 2016
            I haven't noticed a leak at all in compiling nor playtesting, but if you'd be willing send a screenshot my way I'd appreciate it!
            I just copy and pasted the compile log into Interlopers and didn't find any leaks, so currently I have no idea what's going on?
            Edit: I just noticed the skybox I'm using was one in my cstrike/downloads/ folder, not the actual cstrike materials. Whoops. I'll see what I can do about that if that is the issue.
            Edit 2: Yup that's the problem. I removed the textures from my folder and I got a glitchy skybox too. Will fix asap.
            • Winner Winner x 1
              Flare, Nov 1, 2016 Last edited by Flare, Nov 1, 2016
            • May 5, 2011
              Here's the SS
            • Oct 31, 2016
              Oh yeah that is the same thing I got when I tested it without the skybox textures in my cstrike/downloads/ folder.
              Updated the map just now with skybox now properly "pakratted" in. I've tested it several times with the skybox working now every time. Check the Gamebanana link for the update.
              • Like Like x 1
              • Aug 8, 2010

Also, is this on the server yet? Can we test it? Daddy likey!
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Oct 31, 2016
                  If you mean the PF ZM server, I haven't posted it in the server suggestions, but I can if you want me to.
                • Aug 8, 2010
                  Sorry for the double post, but I am in the map now. Very nice. I have one question @Flare, did you use glitch-able props on purpose? If so, are you married to the idea? I personally hate glitched props as it is impossible to barricade properly. Unless you have a vision that entails these types of props, I would suggest not using them. We have enough maps with this type of prop thus proving already that they do not work well for barricade lovers. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise, great work and please let me know when you are able to upload the new version with fixed skybox. I am running around the map for a bit to see what you did. Very nice color scheme and architecture.
                • Oct 31, 2016
                  Which props do you mean are glitched...? Like the general sofas, vendies, and crates?
                  Also, the Gamebanana should have the new fixed-skybox version up already.
                  Thanks for the feedback!
                • Aug 8, 2010
                  Yes all of them. I can jump right through them. Also, I added you on steam. Jotun is my steam name. Lets chat when u have time kk
                • Oct 31, 2016
                  I just realized Gamebanana didn't save the updated version I uploaded. Well, let me save it this time and hopefully the skybox will now be fixed.
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Feb 27, 2012
                    pls dont use pakrat. Use VIDE. it's based off of pakrat but not shit.
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Anyone have any opinions on using VBCT over Hammer's compiler?
                  • Jan 25, 2014
                    damn one of my favorite battle maps on mario cart 64

YOU CAN MARRY ME NOW
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Oct 31, 2016
                      If anyone wants, with what crappy computer specs I have, I can try to host a ZM server to test the map. With @masterchodda's guidance, I've fixed a couple of places to avoid them becoming illegal spots and packed the map together using VIDE as @Tony The Tiger said. If you want test the map with other players, add me on Steam and hit me up and I get it hosted if we get a few people to join as well.
                      Also as a heads up, the playtesting version of the map will be compiled using Fast compile settings so it doesn't take forever to compile the map, which @masterchodda has offered to help me with when compiling releases.
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1