Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_blockfort

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Flare, Oct 31, 2016

1. Apr 26, 2015
    Just DL'd the map and checked it out, this may be one of my new favourite maps. I'd be down to test.

ed: just did some testing, maps hella fun.
    • Like Like x 1
      Kyro, Nov 1, 2016 Last edited by Kyro, Nov 1, 2016
    • Oct 31, 2016
      Testing with @masterchodda, @Kyro, and a few other people went pretty well, despite the somewhat laggy server I was running due to my garbage laptop.

Afterwards, I added a message and sound that plays when the secret button is pressed, fixed some texture placement, modified some spots to be non-crouch spots, and thought I nearly lost the entire map because I was stupid to put quotes in the point_servercommand entity for the secret button's message, which caused Hammer to crash when opening the map. But that's all fixed now.

Also, I'm tired of dealing with the custom skybox, so I'll just be using Militia's from now on to save filesize and my patience. Sure, the custom skybox was working fine, but I'd have to move it here and there for VIDE to actually pack it properly, so we'll stick with normal skyboxes from now on. Also thinking about adding the Mario Kart map's original music, but that depends if people actually want it.

Edit: I just got the idea to add a couple of simple secrets to the map. I have yet to release this version, so hopefully playtesting will let me see how "secret" these actually are. :wink:
      • Like Like x 1
        Flare, Nov 1, 2016 Last edited by Flare, Nov 2, 2016
      • Apr 26, 2015
        You should add the music as a button to activate it.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Oct 31, 2016
          Originally thought the music would take over 16mb of space due to it being WAV uncompressed, but then I exported it and got it down on half that, at only 7mb. So the music is now activated via another secret button, which I'll say straight out is exactly the same as the Note Block secret button, but on the other side of the map. :wink:

Aside from that, I touched up on some things in that Red Fort dual-window setup to where it now has different textures to show that you can break it, one more vendy was added to each side, and both sides are now connected via a breakable vent. I moved the fences in the corner up slightly to make it a non-crouch spot. And finally, I added something for those who helped playtest with me last night. Thanks for that!
          • Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Feb 27, 2012
            you can always make it your custom skybox when you are ready to release the map, that way you don't have to worry about manually packing it each time.
            You should use MP3 instead. That's a huge file size for just an single audio file.
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Oct 31, 2016
              Huh... I didn't know you could use MP3. I guess I thought only wav would work, but thanks for letting me know!
            • Feb 27, 2012
              You just have to make sure the Sample Rate is 44100Hz.
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • Oct 31, 2016
                • Like Like x 2
                • Oct 31, 2016
                  Alright, so I've finished up the changes and I guess the map is ready for another round of playtesting now.
                  I won't be uploading this version to GameBanana yet, but here is a Google Drive link to the BSP so you can test this on your own time.
                  The last public test, although only done with 3-4 other people, went pretty well, so hopefully we can get a public test up and running here soon!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5anuh8pRz_DOFdZMnRfV0pZVWs

The changes include additional sounds, some minor fixes and tweaks to spots to make them no longer crouch-only, at least 3 new secrets to find (if you decompile, you're cheating :^) ), and the temporary swap of the skybox to Militia's skybox, which will be replaced with the original skybox upon final release, as @Tony The Tiger suggested.

Quick edit: the BSP above is only fast compiled, so not everything is exactly the same as compiling with high settings.

Edit 2: That moment when you realize the reason it originally took 7+ hours to compile might not be because your computer is ungodly old and slow, but actually might be due to the fact that the map was entirely world brushes and not a single one of them was converted to func_detail in the first version.
                  That's all being fixed now, mostly doing more manual optimization now.
                  • Like Like x 2
                    Flare, Nov 3, 2016 Last edited by Flare, Nov 4, 2016
                  • Oct 31, 2016
                    (Sorry about multiple posts! :shock: Not sure how to merge them if possible...)

Well, after some balancing fixes, some bug fixes, and a couple of additions, the new version (v2) is finally ready.
                    The new version brings back the original skybox, adds music and sounds to more objects, has 3 new secrets to find, and has much better optimization than the first version.
                    The map's props are also no longer glitched.

Download: http://gamebanana.com/maps/192819
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Aug 7, 2012
                      That one wasn't too bad, I think we were able to be relatively balanced
                    • Oct 31, 2016
                      • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                      • Nov 20, 2013
                      • Oct 31, 2016
                        • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Oct 31, 2016
                          Alright, after some fun times playing the map on the ZM server with a bunch of people, I noticed the map was a bit biased towards the human team since humans won iirc 5-0, so I'll get to work on patching that up.
                          Here's what I now have to do to fix it up, according to players and just from what I noticed, and how I intend to fix them:

Need more ladders near spawn.
                          [IMG]

Nerf the box-halls in upper Blue Fort, as putting two boxes in one corridor makes the spot somewhat overpowered. - Possibly going to make the top piece breakable.
                          [IMG]

Fix the Noteblock so multiple players can go up at the same time. - Might either just change this to a column of trigger_push that slowly moves the players upwards or remove the func_button's delay.
                          [IMG]

Make the boosters push faster. - I noticed bhopping and surfing on the corners was fairly difficult, so I may make them faster by default or even perhaps add a button to make them faster.

Nerf the gray pipes inside of Yellow Fort. - I noticed it was a little overpowered to fit a vendy inside of these pipes, so I'll push them slightly closer to the wall to prevent this. I may add a breakable crate to make it not so useless.
                          [IMG]

Add secondary area to get up to the upper ledge in Yellow Fort. - Currently there's only one way into the upper ledge in Yellow, which can make the spot a bit too powerfull since you need to jump on pillars to reach the ledge.
                          Perhaps adding a second ledge or changing the layout slightly will fix this?
                          [IMG]

These are all subject to change based on general feedback and other people's thoughts.
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Jan 3, 2013
                            @Flare when we were testing the map, noticed that the booster were very weak. You might want to booster it up a bit. Even bhoping was faster than the booster.:bunny:
                            • Agree Agree x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Aug 6, 2016
                              I have to agree. I did see a good few spots that were a little underpowered as well. With a little creativity though, there were a lot of spots that did really well. There were some things that were brand new to me! I like your ideas and what you were going for. :grin:
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Nov 20, 2013
                                • Like Like x 1
                                • Feb 27, 2012
                                  I find the biggest issue is when you just go right over them. I think it might be fine if the triggers were high enough for players to hit it while jumping.
                                  • Like Like x 2
                                  • Agree Agree x 1
                                  • Oct 29, 2010
                                    A mapper taking time to balance their work is my favorite thing. :heart:
                                    • Like Like x 2
                                    • Agree Agree x 2