Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_forsaken_interstate_v1a

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by sajak, Feb 10, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
      sajak, Feb 10, 2013 Last edited by sajak, Jul 14, 2013
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I helped out with some of the details in the map and did map testing with sajak :razz:
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        It was a collaborative effort since I went emo during the time I was finishing this :razz: Tony has a good eye for detail as well. He also helped out with the desert burial map. Good mapper.
      • Nov 2, 2011
        Looks like another great map from sajak :thumbsup:
      • Nov 11, 2011
        UPDATE 07/14/2013: Thanks to Detonator for the several thorough tests on his dev server for this map as well.

The Notes: Changed the map name from abandoned highway to forsaken interstate (to avoid confusion with abandoned mall and roy highway). The map, as it sits, is complete and optimized. I would just like people to test the map and give suggestions on what to add, remove, or modify. This can be in terms of hold spots, more or less props, etc. I did not add a 3D Skybox, I just didn't really have any ideas for it except for maybe mountains but even then, really didn't make much sense to me.

Download link for WIP: zm_forsaken_interstate_rc01

Screenshots:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
        • Like Like x 2
        • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
        • Nov 11, 2011
        • Jul 8, 2012

Anything specific you want me to look at/for? Or just general gameplay?
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Just in general. Missing textures (pink and black), OP spots, spots that could use improvements, stuff like that.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Next version of the map is almost done. FPS rates are much better than they were before, and as i think Momo suggested i should do, i granted access to the fields in the outside of the fenced area. You can now go into the barn and other buildings outside the fenced area. Here are some more screenshots.

Just a cool looking billboard i found, and kind of funny.
          [IMG]

Outside view of a new building.
          [IMG]

Inside, entrance.
          [IMG]

Inside, on top of the hay.
          [IMG]

Gate for the horse area.
          [IMG]

Hold spot. Clipped around it with an invisible brush so zombies can't stack all around, and it is probably suitable for 2-4 humans, judging by how small it is.
          [IMG]

Inside the horse stables.
          [IMG]

These ladders are scattered all around the outside part of the fence so you can get out easier than having to run around to either side of the road
          [IMG]
          • Like Like x 1
          • May 31, 2012
            It'd be a good idea to watch that IN. It's probably coming from prop_dynamics having their bone followers enabled. Either that, or too many entities moving/doing shit at once.
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Feb 27, 2012
              What do you mean "watch that IN"? and how do i disable the bone followers (if i can) and what are bone followers exactly? i don't entirely understand models yet lol.
            • Apr 24, 2012
            • Mar 8, 2013
              it's the value underneath FPS in the net graph.

I'm assuming those horses are prop_dynamic. you can disable bone followers in their properties.
              • Like Like x 1
              • Feb 27, 2012
                Do you know what bone followers are exactly? But thanks, i'll do that when i open it up again!
              • May 31, 2012
                They're a retarded entity that does nothing but increase the edict count and create an absurd, massive lag by sending lots of -useless- physics information to the clients. I've never had to use them, but from what I've always understood they're used to be able to either animate physically the prop_dynamics -which I consider nonsense, since it'd be better to get a modeler to add some animations for you-.
                • Useful Useful x 1
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  Simply said bone followers is to allow concave collisionparts to follow with animations and the bones to which those parts are assigned to. Otherwise they will remain static. You should in any case never allow à prop dynamic to have à collisionmodel for the sake of IN. You should literally remove it, by which I mean the .phys file, as just disabling it will still make Source compile it nevertheless, which is unwanted.
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • Jan 3, 2013
                    Hey Sajak, you know what might be fun too, is actually make the horses walk around, and people can actually stand on the horses and ride around...................... :clap:
                  • Feb 27, 2012
                    The horses actually do move around... When we were working on it ages ago, i really wanted the horse to move around, so i figured out how to do that. I could probably make a way so you can actually stay on them by pressing E, because right now you just slide off of it.

Do i need anything special to disable it in the file? Or will Notepad++ work fine to change that?
                  • May 31, 2012
                    You don't need to delete the .phys file. Just go to the prop_dynamic and disable bone followers. Use Map -> Report Entities -> Filter by classname 'prop_dynamic' to easily select them all -if there are many-.
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • Mar 8, 2013
                      you could also probably just disable the collision model and use an invisible brush in its place, if you want people to be able to ride them.