Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_hydrocity (Almost complete but need help)

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by gd1, Jun 7, 2012

1. Aug 28, 2011
    After several setbacks and hair pulling frustration I may have put together a map with a different sort of experience than the normal one (also has fun water features :grin:). Only one thing lies between the map's current state and completion: barricade materials. Specifically I would like a number of vending machines for each of the bottom floors. If someone could place even one such vending machine in the map I could duplicate it multiple times myself. If another sort of barricade material might be more useful or appropriate given the dimensions of the doorways then I would accept that instead. I will now upload the map .vmf file.

Attached Files:

2. Sep 25, 2010
    Do you want cade material that zombies can glitch through or is solid to zombies?

EDIT:> maybe you should check this out
    bug

EDIT2:>Keeps crashing my hammer.
    • Funny Funny x 1
      Detonator, Jun 7, 2012 Last edited by Detonator, Jun 7, 2012
    • May 14, 2011
      Never use the vertex tool unless you know what you're doing lol. It's causes above error.

You prop_physics_override for cade material. In world model select any prop you want.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE
    • Nov 2, 2011
      That error must be fixed or else you will lose all point entities that you put in the map.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Yeah, I've had the unfortunate luck of using the vertex tool and then saving with the invalid solids removed. All the hardwork gone. Always make backup copies of your vmf, they really come in handy when something like this happens. Also, if you don't have a backup vmf, send us your bsp from the maps folder and we'll decompile it :wink:
    • May 15, 2011
      Depends on the user. I know mappers who use the Vertex tool as I would the Clipping tool. I personally suggest you drop the Vertex tool, as it is a very buggy tool, and causes more harm than good. Also, anything you can do with the Vertex tool CAN be done with the Clipping tool. At one point I did try to learn what makes the Vertex Tool go off, and it seems to be Concave brushes. If you still have those brushes that the others had removed, share a picture so we can get a better understanding of why they are being removed. If you can, start using the Clipping Tool to do your manipulating as it doesn't bug out, although it is a forced method, as in if you make a mistake, you will have to Ctrl+Z after unclicking the brush to undo any negative effects.
    • Aug 28, 2011
      Huh, okay. Just give me a .vmf of a small room with a vendy or something in it. I will copy it over then make the map.

EDIT: BTW, I don't remember using a vertex tool. I remember using a custom sized block of water to "carve" out sections of the map as I wanted.
      gd1, Jun 7, 2012 Last edited by gd1, Jun 7, 2012
    • Aug 28, 2011
      [IMG]
      Gonna have to re-make it without vertex tool?
    • Apr 14, 2011
      Vertex sucks, I just dont like it. Can make to many brush faces ^^
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Were you able to compile it before? If so, just send us that bsp file. Look in your maps folder.
    • Aug 28, 2011
      It's not there at all. I wasn't even able to compile it before. It takes me so long to compile a map that I wanted to do it all at once. It's alright, I'll have my own brand of fun this time. MWA HA HA HA!
    • May 15, 2011

Um. I'm going off on a tangent here but, do you use the grid? Like, Have it on and NOT use Grid size: 1? I sure hope so. Also, using the Carve tool isn't always the greatest method, especially when building your basic geometry?

Went and tried the map. I'm crossed between being being horribly depressed or wanting to rape a Donkey in blind fury. Use the mother fucking grid, it's there for a reason. I see you have it off. I want you to click Shift+W. Do that please, and don't ever press it again. Next, don't use the Carve tool. Unless you are trying to make some funky ass mother fucking curves, you have absolutely no use for it. The Carve tool causes more problems than needed, don't touch it. Lastly, add some fucking lights. You made a box, added water to it, make squares around the damn thing and viola. Fucking map. Flying about I noticed you also didn't use the Nodraw when building the world geometry, so your entire fucking map, even the outside, where the player can't even fucking go, is all being rendered for fuck who knows. Sorry I'm being an asshat, but you really Really REALLY need to use the mother fucking grid. The grid is your fucking mother, suck that bitch dry. ALWAYS try to build using the measurements 16/32/64 or more. Only go less if you really must, as it starts to get MESSY like if you were to go look about your map, you have a bunch of misaligned brushes. If you would like, add ANY of the mappers (You probably don't want to add me now. XD) to Steam, we are MORE than willing to help teach you.
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I wasn't able to open up his vmf, it crashed on me. But if you're using less than 8 grid, curses! :curse:
      • May 15, 2011
        Did the same for me, I just saved it without the broken pieces and opened it up again, didn't crash. And he has the grid turned off.
      • Nov 11, 2011

lol VVIS will take HOURS upon HOURS to compile that map.
      • Aug 28, 2011
        I had grid on for most of it. I turned it off only at the end to make the doors when using the carve function. I'm not insane enough to turn it off for the whole thing. Meanies. :frown:
      • Oct 17, 2011
        @gd1 this happened to me a lot in the past too where it blocks me from opening maps. Go on hammer>file>open>"name of map" and change the vmf in the end to vmx. No need to decompile and shit. I am pretty sure it will work.
        Edit: prop_physics_override are nonglitchable cades and prop_physics_multiplayer are glitchable. When you pick a model, leave it as it is with mass scale 0. It will be heavy when you run the map in a not create server but they will go normal on a zm server, so,I would suggest just pick a model and apply. Done.
        Super Mario, Jun 7, 2012 Last edited by Super Mario, Jun 7, 2012
      • May 15, 2011
        Got that backwards Junior. You change the .vmx (The backup file) Into a .vmf file. A .vmf is what Hammer reads.

Except that I went through your map and every wall you made is 1 unit in width. That's not using the grid. It's good practice to make all your walls 16 or 64 units, as this will keep things clean and simple. I don't mean to be rude, just trying to help you see your mistakes. But as I said, Carve and Vertex are tools you shouldn't be using. Also, use the Nodraw Texture on everything. Except Brush Entities. That makes Hammer unhappy.
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I didn't even know what a Carve tool was until now... maybe it was just my pro mapping instincts. :arrogant:
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Aug 28, 2011
            Accursed clipping tool is so difficult to use!

I have made a backup and will hope for the best. But really, using carve is so much easier :frown:. Just resize the water ctrl+shift+c after overlaying it and move it away for a nice clean cut exactly the size you want.

I think I got it now, but I still liked my method better even if hammer didn't.
            gd1, Jun 7, 2012 Last edited by gd1, Jun 7, 2012