Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Zm_hydrocity

Discussion in Completed Maps started by gd1, Jun 8, 2012

1. Aug 28, 2011
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

Lacking lighting. Everything else is just as I intended it. Fortunately, people do get flashlights and that should work.

Dowload link: http://gamebanana.com/csszm/maps/166389

(Altered the above to a new one)

I probably should have changed the textures on the barricade materials to the map texture but I was happy enough that the cade's even worked.

Windows are low enough to crouch jump into and small enough so that you can't just rush through them. Though they are also short enough in horizontal width that it's not impossible to get through them. As it should be of course.

Doorways have a cusp on the side that prevents barricades from easily being shot through them.

Each room has 6 barricade materials which should be more than enough.

Upper rooms are simply long straight hallways. The advantage they have is a water feature which will slow down incoming undead. Not as effective as a barricade but still useful.

The arch is just fun. Perfect for someone who wants to camp away with a sniper rifle.
    gd1, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by gd1, Jun 8, 2012
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    Holy shit. Is that a zm map lol? The textures hurt my eyes and they are too small. These spots will be illegal in the first picture. This is not a zm map map. It looks like a climbing map and badly textured for my opinion. Good luck on ure other replies.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Aug 28, 2011
      Uh, you're seeing it wrong. That walkway is continuous. The second picture is taken with noclip on so I could get a perspective. There should be no illegal spots in this map.

I thought the textures would be funny personally. Also, this is not a climbing map. Those are columns of water. You swim up them. What you are seeing are the gaps that allow the player to breathe while moving.
    • Jul 28, 2011
      I'm sorry, but I can't think of any reason why you would pick that texture. There is nothing appealing about it at all... it even makes me think back to a map I made years ago called "aim_seizure" whose sole purpose was to drive the players completely crazy!
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Aug 28, 2011
        I admit I was feeling a bit crazy at the time. I just thought it would be funny. Please let them test it first and if it MUST be changed then I'll change it (even though I think it's funny :frown:...)
      • Jul 28, 2011
        I don't think changing the texture before testing it on a full server would be a crazy idea... basically, do you want 2 people to tell you the texture is plain awful, or 64? Your choice.
      • Aug 28, 2011
        My tinfoil hat is invisible. I don't want people thinking I'm crazy.

I just want it to be tested for concept first. It's a pain in the ass to change the texture for so many objects. I'll probably get on it but if they feel like testing it first I won't mind too much.
      • Jul 4, 2011
        The whole map is filled with adverts, I doubt it'll get tested.
      • Aug 28, 2011
        It's the stock/default option for a texture.
      • Jul 4, 2011
        Not sure if serious... That doesn't mean it's the only texture you can use. The link isn't working and you forgot(?) to pack the texture into the map.

[IMG]
      • Jul 28, 2011
        2. Click "replace"
        3. Where it says "find", browse to the texture you have everywhere (ad01 or whatever it's called)
        4. Where it says "replace", browse to the texture of your choice
        5. Click "OK"
        Done!
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
        • Aug 28, 2011
          Actually discovered that before you mentioned it. Compiling now.

EDIT: It works. Going to post the new map on fps banana then link it here.
        • Oct 17, 2011
          I would suggest making the scale bigger or people like detonator will leave the game because it still burns the eyes. By the way, making spots there would have been better in this whole opened space. The climbing water can't be spots to hold off zombies on. Maybe make some rooms or crates instead of that water and fill it up with something then make ladders on the walls that make you reach the top or unless if you are lazy, then it's fine with me but the more time, the better your maps come out to be.Edit: put at least some low brightened lights in the dark spots with brightness less then 80.
        • Aug 28, 2011
          New Download Link: http://gamebanana.com/csszm/maps/166389

The texture has been changed. The climbing water spots are not meant to hold zombies off. They're a cool method of transportation.

Lights, meh at the moment.

There are rooms. Each of those holes in the side of the map leads into a corridor. In the case of the bottom 9 there are barricade materials.

The only thing it's lacking at the moment are some lights in the side rooms.

Tony your pic made me laugh a lot. I would have considered that texture but then I know it wouldn't have been allowed. Funny as it would be. Also, I'd have to call it warp zone or something then...
          gd1, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by gd1, Jun 8, 2012
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I am just going to cut to the chase but I'm sorry, this map is garbage. Everything about the map is wrong. You have a lot to learn. This was my first map, please compare it with yours: http://gamebanana.com/csszm/maps/166218 . And even my first map is just average with a ton load of improvements to be made. It's not all about how many maps you can churn out quickly but rather how much time you put into making just one. If you really need help mapping and learning, feel free to add any of us mappers and we'll be glad to help.

EDIT: What are all these floating water spots? I don't understand. You can obviously see the nodraw textures when you go through them... zm_hydrocity_v20000
          Lighting is too dark in tunnels: zm_hydrocity_v20002

Your doors don't have a frame: zm_hydrocity_v20003

It's the little things that count.
          sajak, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by sajak, Jun 8, 2012
        • Nov 29, 2010
          Can you give him constructive criticism without making it look like you're rubbing your ego in his face?

Anyways onto this map.

There's a few leaks here and there, it's very evident the instant you enter a corridor and you can see white lines all over the place. The textures are broken in certain places and the water elevators are weird. I initally thought that the platforms were solid, but they are water.

A very repetitive map with with cut and paste evident everywhere.

Textures as I said before are very buggy on this map, especially the water, if you go certain areas everything will disappear. The rooms at the very bottom will be deemed illegal spots since they are all crouch entries.

Not bad for your first map, but please, test your map before you put it up on gamebanana.
          Clam Chowder, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Jun 8, 2012
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I already made my edits before you posted this trying to act like an angel in front of everyone. It's clear gd1 doesn't like to take his time mapping, he's admitted to this before. You can't put in the time, you won't come out with a good product.
        • May 15, 2011
          He doesn't want to learn, he just wants us to accept his map as good and move on. We tried helping him with zm_wired but he didn't take anything we said into consideration. He just said he thinks it's good enough, we should upload it anyways.
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            I like people to be frank and straightforward when they test my maps, not sugarcoat them. To recap, this is gd1's attitude, "The only thing it's lacking at the moment are some lights in the side rooms. Tony your pic made me laugh a lot. I would have considered that texture. It's a pain in the ass to change the texture for so many objects." Then why are you mapping? Mapping takes a lot of time and patience. If you lack either one, you're going to produce another hydrocity... but I won't break your spirits. Add one of us on Steam and we'll help you go through the basics. Although, YouTube should be your best friend.
          • Nov 2, 2011
            This map will never make it, trust me. Even when you change your texture. You cannot make a map in 2 hours and expect it to be awesome. Trash it and build a map the correct way and treat it like your baby.
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Winner Winner x 1