Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_lab (name not final)

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Cirno, Jun 8, 2012

1. Apr 7, 2012
    So, I'm not dead. I'm back from dealing with depression and a chronic illness. (woohoo)

I'm not going to ramble on about that, let's get to what you clicked here for.

Not much is done. I just want to show that I'm at least working on something for you guys. I have a vague idea of what I'm going to be doing. I have lighting figured out for the most part though suggestions are welcome, and basic brushwork is done.

This map is roughly based around the movie Cabin in the Woods.
    There is a lab/office area located underground with an old elevator leading up to the basement of an abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods. The cabin is nothing special; two stories with a basement, and the woods (which will be a minor part in the map, the main focus isn't on outdoors)

The labs will have a handful of small offices, and a larger elevator only accessible from the lab that leads to the above ground (elevator used for receiving shipments and such) . I'm still trying to find ways to add alternate routes into the offices so one person can't hold down an area by his/herself.

I need suggestions. So please tell me what I can improve upon!
    - What can be done better with the lighting?
    - What can be added to make the map more... Unique?

Things like that.

So here's some pictures, nothing special. Nothing is final, so things might go through entire revisions. I might re-do the entire lab portion. I've been thinking about it, and I might want to take a stab at making labs similar to those in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (labs X-16 and X-18 preferably)

Posting stuff for the first time on a forum has to be the scariest thing I will ever do.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Jul 28, 2011
      Looks good, just be sure to make some good spots for humans to defend :thumbsup:
    • Apr 7, 2012
      Thanks! Don't worry, I am. I've drawn out some ideas on paper that are good for humans to defend.
    • Apr 9, 2007
    • May 15, 2011
      Very nice! Is this your first time mapping? I haven't seen you around here before. Anyways, I really love the ambiance you created using those textures. It's very pleasing to the eye. I hope you spend the time to add props/sounds/decals to the walls and surrounding area to make it more lively, especially in the big empty room. Otherwise, it's looking really good, and I look forward to seeing its completion. ^^
    • Nov 11, 2011
      That looks amazing! I can't wait to play it. The texturing is beautifully done but add a sprite and spotlight for your ceiling lights! :thumbsup: But great work so far.
    • Jun 3, 2012
    • Nov 2, 2011
      So far your layout has a good feel to it. Keep it up, play ZM more so you can learn on what type of spots/rooms are popular among players and you can incorporate that or even make it better on your map.
    • Apr 7, 2012
      I've messed around in hammer for about 5 years now, I haven't done much though. The textures were pretty hard to pick out, had to find ones that complimented each other. I'm still in the process of just making a basic layout of the whole map, once that's done I'll be adding decals/props and all of that good eye candy. And thanks for the positive-ness, really appreciate it :smile:

Don't worry, I was planning on doing that! And the ceiling lights already have spotlights, but I suck at lighting, I'm still working on all of that.

Silly me, I never though of doing that. I feel dumb haha. Yeah that's a good idea, will do! Thanks :wink:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jun 3, 2012
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Nov 2, 2011
          There's one thing that i will change based on the screen shots. The usage of lights on the inset light props, they are not aligned with the ceiling texture, it's not a huge deal but it looks ugly. Also try to put the light further from the ceiling and add point_spotlight on each inset lighting props, trust me it will look alot better. :wink:

Edit: To give you an idea, it will look something like this.

2012-06-08_00001
        • Apr 7, 2012
          Yeah, they are bothering me too, trust me haha. I just threw those in quickly to see how the lighting would look. I've already fixed that so the textures are aligned with the lights.

There's already a point_spotlight on each of the lights. I'm no good at lighting. I'll do some trial and error and mess around with it

Edit: Posted before I saw the screenshot, thanks! very useful

edit edit: Derp, I was confusing point_spotlight for light_spot. I FEEL DUMB.
        • Nov 2, 2011
          Cool, that's how we learn, trial and error. :grin:
        • Apr 7, 2012
          Did a few quick trial and error tests within that time.

[IMG]

The lighting still doesn't feel right to me. I'm not sure what's missing, or how to fix it.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Add me or Jermaine on Steam and we'll send you a few examples on how to do lighting properly.
        • Apr 7, 2012
          I'll add both of you guys for the hell of it.

Such kind people haha. Thanks for this!

Edit: Threw invites to both of you guys.
          Cirno, Jun 8, 2012 Last edited by Cirno, Jun 8, 2012
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Wait Jermaine... mine are different from yours! :neutral:

[IMG]
        • May 15, 2011
          Jermaine's brightness isn't so blaring. Maybe 20 or 30. Try making your light not so bright, and use your light_spot to light up the room. Don't forget that once you add your cubemaps, the lighting will be a lot more diverse than before. Also, try to add less lights if possible. Especially when using light_spots, as to many tend to look kind of ugly and cramped in a way.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • May 26, 2012
            Spots are definitely better. Loving the blue, gives a chilly feel. Only one word, or a few. Decals Decals Decals Decals. Make those corridors look grungy, i'm running for my life through an underground place that i don't even know, i want to shit my pants all the while :grin:
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Yo bro, it's all 'bout making a statement. Be loud, get noticed. Now shuddup! :quiet::evilgrin: