Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_pf_paniclicious

Discussion in Completed Maps started by cuttylicious, Jan 11, 2018

Should i make more maps?

Yes 8 vote(s) 61.5%
No 3 vote(s) 23.1%
i love cuttylicious 2 vote(s) 15.4%
  1. Oct 24, 2015
    Creators name (If known): Cutty
    No. of Spawn Points (If known): 64
    Map size (in mb): 5.64mb
    Download URL: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7xpy5ci3u6afqjw/zm_pf_paniclicious.bsp
    Short Description: Another panic style map that i have had for awhile now and thought i'd finalize it so we can have more maps to play on.

Visuals:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
      Mr. Robot, Jan 11, 2018 Last edited by Brian, Jan 11, 2018
    • Mar 26, 2009
      We played it earlier for testing and it's not that great.

Besides not looking that great aesthetically and being another boring lila panic clone, it's insanely human sided. The lower levels of the tall corner tower is extremely difficult to get into as a zombie if a proper barricade is built, and all but impossible on the upper levels where the ladder with the hatch is. The roof on the building next to the OP tower is also an illegal ledge spot where you almost need 3 zombies stacking to get up there. Why did you place an invisible lip brush on top of that roof?

Your secret purple gun room is also an illegal crouch spot.

The rest of the map is pretty uninteresting, any potential barricade spots are ruined either by too many access points, too wide of a doorway or poor prop selection, like heavy couches that require multiple people to move.

About the only redeeming quality is that it's one of the few lila panic clones that has proper lighting and doesn't make my eyes bleed.

You need to work on the map geometry to make it more interesting and stop using ugly repeating textures everywhere. Add some detail and make more *normal* barricade spots that aren't impossible to get into and aren't impossible to defend.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Aug 6, 2016
        I haven't had a chance to see the map in action but for whatever reason, I really like the bordering walls. I'd actually have to play the map, to see how it all works out. Just looking at it makes me feel like something is new about it and I like that. Closed but open. Feels spacious but not stretched out. I wish I had enough hair left to learn mapping. It's really a shame that Rogaine is on such short supply. Thanks a lot, Tony.
      • Oct 24, 2015
        Just an old map i had in the stash and also the textures are suppose to be repetitive. Since you are a mapper, feel free to tweak it because i'm sure there are things that need to be modified in game. You never know how a map will play out until it's actually put in rotation in tested so i'm sure there are many things that can be modified.

Also if there are any more suggestions let me know i can do a light revision but i'm not trying to have the map be the best map in the world. So i will fix the following issues but if there are any more critical in game unbalances please list them so i only have to do a one time revision.
        Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018
        Message for LSA, i would like to be around to test the map so i can see first hand what needs to be fixed. I just hopped on the server and don't see it in rotation so if there is a chance i can join in on testing that would help the process and make the most sense. Let me know
      • Oct 24, 2015
        Ok so I made some fixes here is the list of them.

• made the 1st floor doorway of tall blue and white tower a bit wider and created a window on that floor
        • made the ladder hatch wider where multiple zombies can climb up
        • took away the clipping tool above the building next to blue and white tower
        • I also put a regular sofa where the heavy couch was
        • made the secret weapon window wider and taller so it's not op to hide in and defend
        Any other things that need to be changed please let me know so we can hurry up and get another map in rotation. That's what the people want, something new and fresh.
        • Like Like x 2
        • Aug 6, 2016
          Yes, this is generally how we do things. When in the process of testing potentially new maps, we want to make sure that the one who made the map is on and available for a full map rotation. This way they can get their proper feedback for any possible tweaking. Until the map gets thoroughly tested and officially added, it won't be on rotation but will be on the server, so that it can be tested when a high enough admin and the map maker are on, to do so.
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • Oct 24, 2015
            I don't have the source to the map, and even if I did, I wouldn't touch it unless you wanted me to fix some bug or problem you can't resolve on your own. This is your map and you need to be the one to support it and make changes to it.

This is why I don't usually get along with Source engine mappers. They don't want to put in the effort, and want to do the bare minimum possible to get their stuff working before abandoning it and cranking out another poorly implemented map.
          • Oct 24, 2015
            Why don't you say something useful instead of stating how you don't like other mappers. This has no usefulness towards this thread, the tips were appreciated but i'm not trying to reach someone's standard who I don't even know. You seem very opinionated so why don't you put your skills to work and make some maps for the community, i'm sure the members would love more content!
          • Mar 26, 2009
            Because: http://plaguefest.com/threads/zm_pf_paniclicious.22292/#post-315762

Tell me why I should take time to further critique your map when you constantly come up with excuses like "because it's old" or "I don't need to reach your standards because I don't know you" and "I only want to make one revision of the map". I don't want to waste my time trying to help you fix a map you've already abandoned. If you don't care about what I think is wrong with the map, who are you going to listen to?

I looked at your revised map and it looks like no effort was put into it at all. The former OP tower is now useless like many other spots because you made too many access points. It looks like you tried to re-texture the underground area to reduce the monotony, but no effort was put into texturing, they're just slapped on.

Because I've made ten maps for the server, of which seven are still on. Of the three removed, two were due to technical issues and one because a former PF member ruined it.

Here's the source to one of my maps if you want to pick it apart and figure out how to do things better. It will be missing some models and textures since you're not using my development environment.

http://sanzen.in/files/maps/zm_deep_thought_redux_r2g.7z
          • Mar 26, 2012

I agree with SOME of what Giga said. To me, the map does look ugly, and I know I don't generally like other variations of lila maps except the classics we always play. I don't know, I feel like other variations tend to just be bad copy cats? Maybe I am just loyal to the old versions?

That being said, there are some maps that I thought were ugly, but are fun to play. I am in general bored of the maps we do play right now, and I would love to see new maps bring life to the server for me. Even though I do find it ugly, it does have kind of an apocalyptic look to it that I think is fitting with pF and ZM.

Oh, by the way, I voted I <3 Cuttylicious. Where can I buy the t-shirt?
            • Like Like x 1
            • Aug 6, 2016
              Maybe I just like the ugly? I like what I see. >.>
              • Like Like x 1
              • Jun 4, 2006
                Added to server and fastdl. Next time you hop on ZM look for a level 3 or higher admin and ask them to set it as the next map. If no one's in game try hollering at us on Discord.
                • Like Like x 2
                • Oct 24, 2015
                  Hey there @Brian I don't mean to be a bother but i was curious when the map would be put into rotation? I felt like it went smooth when we tested the map, or i can make changes? Let me know, the members brought it to my attention to be honest and I didn't even notice. They keep asking me about it so I just want to see what the next move is. Thanks
                • Apr 26, 2015
                  typically new maps are on the box and not added directly to rotation so we can bring up a test of it to see server numbers before/after, rtv's, and if people want it added. If you see one of the LSAs in game just holler at us to do the test.
                • Oct 24, 2015
                  @Kyro we already did the test and everyone wanted to extend the map so that's why i was curious. I thought it was already in rotation but others keep asking me about it.
                • Jun 4, 2006
                  I thought you were going to fix that one illegal spot above the cage? Just needs to be clipped... then we don't need to worry about adding any bullshit to the illegal spots wiki or enforcing anything.
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Oct 24, 2015
                    Oh ok i didn't realize that but here ya go i fixed it so here is another file for the finalized version. http://www.mediafire.com/file/0izisruuj1xmx47/zm_pf_paniclicious_v2.bsp
                  • Mar 26, 2012
                    Cuttylicious asked if we could try his map. After talking other admins (Buster and [x]), we put it to a vote with the players, and switched maps. Minutes before the map change, I made a vote to see what people thought of the map. It looked like the majority of people liked it. I didn't hear or notice any glitches or anything too bad.

[IMG]