Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_surf_n_cade

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Sep 28, 2013

1. Feb 27, 2012
    Alright, so a while ago, someone had the idea to make a surf ZM server, but of course, there are so ZM surf maps! :nailbiting:

My adventure in the creation:
    Now, this isn't going to be for a new server at all, but i did like the idea of ZM and Surfing combined. People were bugging me to make one for a while, but finally @rogers 2 talked me into it, and it is currently under construction. I've been working on it since last night, but i had to come to a halt early when i realized i had to make the server change some settings, the most important one being sv_airaccelerate. But if i just did that and didn't have a way to get it to reset back to the default value/servers config value, then the server would have to be restarted! :struggle:

So i thought it would be easy! I though the logic_auto had an output that would be just like OnMapSpawn, that was OnMapEnd, but i was quickly proven wrong. I had thought about making a timer for 25 minutes to reset the changed settings, but what if the map was RTV'd? Then the server would have to be restarted. Then i thought about some kind of counter (math) that would wait for either team to lose all of their players (like everyone becoming a zombie which would make the CT team empty for a split second) but what if it was the humans who won, and what if again it was RTV'd? No good. I thought of similar things with trigger_multiple's, but same issues. At this point i was kind of irritated, and i had spent at least an hour trying to figure out. :reallyangry:

Then i thought "Maybe i'll ask @Kyle for help!" and he had the same idea to make the map switch the settings back when the map ends, so i decided to do some more searching, but came up with nothing. After more wasted time of trying to figure out how to do this ingame, Kyle's came up with an idea to make a plugin that makes it reset the settings i wanted to change when the map changes for any reason, whether it be RTV, forced map change, or just regular time run out! Awesome, right? Well, i set my logic_auto to use the plugin, and when we tested it, there were some hickups and it wasn't changing my settings at all, but eventually we got it working to the point where settings were going through, but not resetting on map change. We tinkered with some stuff, tried to get it to reset, but nothing was working. We placed some PrintToServer commands in some places, but it was stopping at the same place no matter what changes. :reallypissed:

After 3+ hours of messing with this stuff, it seemed hopeless and that as if this map wouldn't happen, or that it would just become another Megabox. But with my .0005% knowledge in coding, i had the idea to place some more PrintToServer commands in more places, and try sending some commands in the server and see what prints back to me. This morning when i discovered some more stuff was finally printing on the server, i was a little bit excited, but with the amount of failure we already were having, i still felt like what i was getting to show pointless. I told Kyle what i had done and sent him server logs, and he looked back at the code, and realized we were missing one little tiny line in the code. :shame:

I gave it one more shot and added what he told me to, and compiled the plugin. I started up the server and started it on de_dust and checked the sv_airaccelerate, all is good and it's default. Changed the level to zm_surf, and all is good so far, it's putting the changed commands through. I change to de_aztec, and HOLY SHIT ITS BACK TO DEFAULT. :shock: :jump: :party:

And after all that hair tearing out and trying of different things, it's finally working! Thanks to Kyle, i was able to continue working on this map this afternoon!

Actual stuff about the map:

Okay, so that was just the little adventure i went on for this map, here's some stuff actually about the map.

It will feature 3 different sections for people to travel to.

The first one will be the training area for people who have no idea how to surf. It will have message boards on how to successfully surf just like on ze_surf_facility, and once they reach the end, they'll get booted back to the spawn. Not sure how i'm going to make it so humans can't hold that area yet.

The second one will be the actual area you surf to for holding/cade spots.

The last one will just be regular cade/hold spots incase you're too slow to grasp the concept of Surfing. :laugh:

Here's some screenshots of what i have so far. It's going to be mostly in dev textures btw, i think they'll look better for this. I've only got the first 4 parts of the training done, probably going to be somewhere around 8 total rooms for the training. There isn't much to show, but this is what i have.

Spawn area, pretty simple.
    [IMG]

Pretty simple, just glide across.
    [IMG]

Little bit harder, has a turn in it.
    [IMG]

Really easy, just gets you familiar with more speed.
    [IMG]

Combines all 3 of the previous into one.
    [IMG]

Everything could possibly change, so don't think that most of the map will look like this or that what is shown will stay exactly like this.
    • Mapping King x 6
    • Like x 5
    • Wizard! x 2
    • Good Idea x 1
    • Artistic x 1
    • Feb 1, 2011
      Sweet! I'm glad somebody is finally tackling this idea. I dig the dev textures, and would like to suggest Nyro's dev texture pack which would give you a lot of creative room to work with as far as the color scheme and stuff: http://css.gamebanana.com/textures/3582
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Feb 27, 2012
        That's the exact one i'm using xD I like all the colours in it, they look so nice :O With some coloured lighting, i think it'll help make the texture stand out, too.

It's really nice pack too, because each texture size is really tiny, so packing a whole bunch of them will barely affect the map size in the end.
      • Dec 27, 2012
        Fuck yes. I've been waiting for this and it's on its way! Thanks a bunch Unicorn, it looks really cool. Also,

^This.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Feb 27, 2012
          If this one goes over well, maybe i'll make a few more of these maps :O
        • Oct 29, 2010
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Feb 1, 2011
            Just wanted to add that I'm a huge fan of the map name as well

:dance:
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Feb 27, 2012
              Been playing with some lighting, and i'm liking it so far. Got the sun to give off a pink kind of colour, then put light bars around the edges of the rooms to make it stand out more.
              [IMG]
              • Like Like x 1
              • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
              • Artistic Artistic x 1
              • May 31, 2012
                Oh my god I want to play this map! ZM needs a surfing map :grin:
              • Jul 17, 2012
                Just curious, I always thought sv_airaccekerate resets anyway if the default one is written down in the server.cfg. ze_surf_facility for example sets sv_airaccelerate and sv_wateraccelerate to 999999 and as far as I remember it always resets during the map change.
              • Apr 9, 2007
                If it isn't, the cvar remains the same as it doesn't get set to a new value after the map starts. The problem is, this is too late for some elements, such as the entire vphysics stack... Prop movement is pretty busted for the next map, the present map _must_ clean themselves up before the level changes.

This is an engine bug.
                • Informative Informative x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Useful Useful x 1
                • Feb 8, 2013
                  How is this ever going to work, dude? You know the map firewall aztec? You guys fuckin made the hill illegal because you have to "surf" over there to stab humans. If this map is completely surf, how are people ever going to get stabbed?
                • Feb 3, 2012
                  Nice! I've finally wanted a map like this. :jump:
                • Jun 19, 2013
                  I'm still skeptical of this whole surf zm map idea. I'm not going to doom it right at the beginning, but I will have to see how the game play is before I'm completely sold on the idea of "Zombie Surf".
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  Well, that was one issue i was considering. I have a couple of options. One, i could make it so you could get there from other surf ramps that you cant see the zombies until they're flying at full speed towards you.

The second option is to combine several brushes/entities like this:
                  I will have a func_illusionary which is a wall that you can walk through. I would have it see through on the inside where humans would be. Next, i would put a func_brush right over top of it set so it is solid to start, but make it so it blocks bullets, which will also make it solid. Since it's solid, i'd also have to put a trigger a few units off of it on the side you'd go flying through and it would turn off the func_brush (meaning it disappears when a player touches the trigger just before it)and enable agains just as they get to the other side. This could cause some players to try and stop in the middle of it so they can continue to see through it. I have one more way to get past that. Another trigger that will activate a trigger_push if someone stands there for too long that will toss them into the water below and put them back to the spawn of the area they entered.

I'm really excited to start work on the second option, since it takes care most of the issue, but it's the most amount of work.
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  The end of the Training area... I got a little carried away lol. When you walk into the cake, it's gonna teleport you back to the spawn area. A cookie for @Bender Rodriguez, a cupcake for @Lystina, and an ice cream cone for @agent 058. And the smiley face is for @dillinger because that's what i imagined his face was like when he heard i named this zm_surf_n_cade.
                  [IMG]
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Feb 2, 2013
                    Whoa, surprise cupcake for Lystina..? I love it! Thanks, Tony.

Here are some surprise cupcakes for Tony! Enjoy! :cute:
                    Anyways, this map is looking pretty great so far. Loving the look of it... I'm very, very excited for this map. Can't wait to test it out. Nice job, Tony!
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Jun 11, 2012
                      • Funny Funny x 3
                      • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                      • Apr 24, 2012
                        Great job Tony, this looks really good and can't wait to test it out. :dance:
                        • Like Like x 1