Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_try_hards requesting special skins for clan members.

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by FreshEggs, Jul 14, 2015

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 7, 2014
    I wasnt really sure where to put this topic, but I would like it moved to a place where only myself, President Oxazebam, and LSA/Management can read/view/comment... that being said, please read on.

President Oxazebam has recently teamed up with me to help run zm_try_hards. We have discussed a few things and wanted to know if it is somehow possible to grant only our members the ability to wear a skin. If yes, and somehow special permissions can be granted to our members, we would like to make a donation to pF.

My hopes are that this request is taken seriously by the appropriate people, as the amount of the donation will be serious as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
      FreshEggs, Jul 14, 2015 Last edited by FreshEggs, Jul 14, 2015
    • Feb 8, 2013
    • Oct 13, 2011
    • Oct 29, 2010
      This has only been done once in the past afaik, for an individual. If memory serves, this is something Brian did not want happening again. He's likely the one you'll need to convince.
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Feb 13, 2014
        Other clans will want the same. That's going to be a lot of skins.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Oct 29, 2010
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jul 14, 2010
            I think you have an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it can be done for a couple of reasons.

1) Momo's reason above
            2) The server is fast-dl so adding more skins increases server download times (usually skins under 2 MB only make it through).
            3) The plugin pF uses for skins has a limit of how many there can be at one time (I don't know why, but this has been an ongoing reason for not adding some new skins). So a skin might have to be removed to add in this one. I'm not sure if this is still an issue, but possibly is.

But anyways, I think this might cause other issues as well, one example being what LC said.

Lastly, if you don't have anything to say that is constructive, then don't post stuff trolling the guy.. Orange... cat... meeko...
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Mar 29, 2015
              I wasnt really sure where to put this topic, but I would like it moved to a place where only myself, President Oxazebam, and LSA/Management can read/view/comment... that being said, please read on. i guess most ppl didnt read that bit :grin: but as far as PF goes it is dying and its really sad to see it slowly going downhill that is why we are trying to turn it around and make it as fun as it used to be back in the day. as for a custom skin yes other clans might want it im sure they would but how many other clans are willing to fork out $200-300 odd dollars for someone to take the time and effort to do a simple request? how many clans take the time to host events and take time out of their day to keep people entertained? how many clans give out prizes and rewards to its players on a regular to keep them happy and working towards something? cuz i tell u now most ppl complain at 10 dolla donator.... i really dont think this is asking too much but im not the best with coding and gettting all that stuff to work but just a idea it doesnt even have to be a skin it could be as simple as just rendering our clan members a diffrent glow colour. would be a lot easier and safer. iunno it probs wont happen but it cant hurt to ask right guys...u dont ask u will never know.
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Jul 7, 2014
                Thanks for the constructive insight from a few of you guys.
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Sep 14, 2008
                  We had the clan thing before and it was grossly abused. I'll be surprised if this would be implemented again.
                • Mar 29, 2015
                  O.o sorry im really tired and noob with that said :grin: how does one abuse a skin? what about the other idea instead glow colour would be much easier and safer....also and i dont mean to be or sound rude so please dont hate me but how is it for example other server not gunna name em have no problem adding changing modding plugins ect but someone mentions change on PF and its the end of the world?
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Feb 8, 2013
                    Doesn't matter. Go ask yourself why many communities fell into the ruins, yet pF, the one that is unwilling to change, remains standing 'til the end? I'll answer that for you. Change isn't always necessary. Sometimes ideas can break the community. What you've brought up seems like pF has to alter their system for your benefits. Why? Why do you get to pay for special features only you guys can have? I'm sure if pF turned a blind eye for money, they'd be gone long ago.
                  • Oct 13, 2011
                    I wasn't trolling him. There've been many skins requests, and nothing happened.

2 questions:

How many new players are joining ZM daily ?
                    How many files do they have to download ? ( Or megabytes)

Do you really think that 5mb is going to hurt ?

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,1/United-States/
                  • Oct 29, 2010
                    Seeing as you're not OP, this can not be done.
                  • Jun 4, 2006

drevil

Wouldn't have happened at all if I was around when that arrangement was made. Server might have been hurting more financially back then though so that might have been why it was considered. Regardless, it wasn't a good idea.

It's an engine issue, not plugin. Skins (among many other things) add edicts, too many edicts = server crash.

Depends on what you're suggesting. I think you need to remember PF has been around a long time, and we've tried a lot of different ideas. Some good, some bad. It's very possible that your suggestion falls into the bad category. It's something PF has already explored and we decided 'nah fuck that' for whatever reason.

Yes. A 5mb skin is too big.
                    As far as edicts go, ZM probably has room for a new skin assuming its file size is reasonable. That would be for donators and/or admins only though, not zm_try_hards only.
                    • Winner Winner x 2
                    • Wizard! Wizard! x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Jul 14, 2010
                      http://stats.plaguefest.com/players/css2?type=new&range=1

There you go. New players in the past week, and you can search 2 weeks, 3, etc, if you wanna do out the math. But based off the last week, there were 450 new players. That's quite a lot considering the server population is 64, and any of those players could turn into regulars if they have enough fun. Since the server is labeled fastdl, some players like the ability to join a game and not have to download for a long time, (whether that be 30 seconds or 2 minutes, doesn't really matter).
                    • Mar 29, 2015
                      well mostly brian was just wondering if there is something that could be done to make us orginal? like a glow colour instead of a skin or a weapon glow colour? just something that makes us a little diffrent. even hats or trails or summmin? they tend to usually be bad tho :frown: not asking for anything major and i understand there are a lot of complications so it might just be easier to ask this... is there anything you would be willing to do to help us out? something u know has been fine in the past maybe and wont hurt?
                    • Oct 13, 2011
                    • Feb 8, 2013
                      If you want to stand out, do something other people can't. Make yourself stand out, not with some stupid glow in the dark gun. Become a mapper if you must. That's why I got into mapping. Just because you can grab someone's attention by having a wisp follow you, does not mean people will remember you. If they don't remember you, I'd rather just be that guy that's in the darkest corner.
                    • Jun 4, 2006
                      I think you guys need to look within yourselves and find your own originality. Don't rely on aesthetic gimmicks. Make a private !party and/or steam group for clan members if you want some exclusivity.

Problem is with the general idea itself, not the specifics of the idea. We're not going to add in-game perks just for members of a clan. If we add a feature, it's going to be available to everyone or donator+.
                      • Agree Agree x 3
                      Thread Status:
                      Not open for further replies.