Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ZM_Unpanic_v2_Night

Discussion in Completed Maps started by MoonChickenDogRat, Mar 26, 2013

1. Sep 24, 2012

"After getting permission from UNREA1 to create a night version of Unpanic; I added a custom night skybox, various ambient noises heard through the night, different changes to optimize the map, and a special easter egg. The overall gameplay of the map is the same, all props are locatable in the same places as the day version." - Excerpt from the official README

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
      MoonChickenDogRat, Mar 26, 2013 Last edited by MoonChickenDogRat, Mar 26, 2013
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Looks nice. Lighting is bit off but I like it :smile:
    • Feb 27, 2012
      It actually looks really nice in that night time version. Only thing is maybe keep the sign that players jump into with the Plaguefest sign that was there previously, but keep the custom one you put on the other sign. No sense in having 2 of the same sign, although it was like that in the original.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Yeah, I forgot to say that. I liked the original pF sign... I don't want to jump into credits. Put it somewhere inconspicuous!.
      • Oct 29, 2010
        Looks a bit too similar to the original to have as a duplicate, and swapping out the most played map on the server is a dangerous game.

Not to imply that your effort is unappreciated, just want to be realistic with you.
        Post Merged, Mar 26, 2013
        Also, unless I'm mistaken, it looks like we'd have to re-add all the old illegal spots. :confused:
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Apr 9, 2007
          Seems like a definite regression with file size... Uncompressed it's 40MB, the edited one uncompressed is 6.5MB.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Sep 24, 2012
            Who said anything about swapping out the original?

This should be played as the same map with a different taste to it.

The original's popularity can continue with a new, creative, interpretation of it.
            Since when has file size been a problem?

A majority of ZE maps are well over 50mb.
          • Nov 11, 2011
            And no, I don't believe this map should replace the current version. The day time version has been popular for a reason, even though this looks nice, it's not a remake, it's almost identical to the original, and has useless things added to it.
            I spotted another oddity in the sky (penis?):

[IMG]
          • Sep 24, 2012
            I don't appreciate you taking apart my work and unconstructively criticizing what I put into my maps. Calling it "wasted bandwidth."

You should find something better to do than voice your unhelpful opinions on my posts.
          • Jul 8, 2012
            He's not saying it's bad, he's just being realistic server side I do believe.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              I recall helping you when you first knew nothing about mapping. I'm harsh with my criticisms but nothing I said should have offended you. Sorry if it did. But what you packed your map with, is legitimately a waste of bandwidth. It adds nothing useful to the gameplay, your LDR/HDR skybox textures are 4.5 times the size of your actual map, your texture files in general are extremely large for no apparent reason. This is bad for everyone and you need to learn to not use HDR skybox textures unless you're planning on making the rest of your map look super shiny and realistic (cubemaps, bumpmaps, masks, shit load of details, detailed props, etc, list goes on). I'm not a great mapper but I know a few things from the 10+ maps I've released and a couple that are works in progress. So next time, take comments from other mappers with less offense. We don't want you going down the wrong mapping path.
              And if you wish, you can use the skybox texture grimmnight, it produces similar (if not better) results than what you are using now.
              • Agree Agree x 3
              • Oct 29, 2010
                • Sep 24, 2012
                  I'm not here to defend this map, either it gets tested and added to the server or not.

Twiddling my thumbs and responding to discouraging comments is not what I'm here to do, if so I'll take my business elsewhere.
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  You're starting to sound like a whiney mapper who can't handle criticism. Feel free to take your "business" elsewhere. @Kim and @JorisCeoen want to chime in a little bit here? lol :ROFL: :ROFL:You can not give one reason to justify why your map is 46MB while adding nothing to the gameplay and is almost exactly the same as the original. When I started mapping, I made shitty mistakes and @GiGaBiTe criticized my maps to the point I felt like mapping wasn't for me. And then I realized that he was just trying to get me to see how to truly map. And I thank him for that now.

@Tony the Tiger!! :grin: can recreate a night time version of the map under 4MB and have it look better. That's what experience gets you. I talked shit about his maps until he got so good that we work on maps together now. I can give him maps I've made and he can add and modify things and you won't be able to tell who did what. That's the nature of passing down information from mapper to mapper. You can't expect people to just sit there and pat on your back when you clearly did something wrong.

EDIT: Sorry if this offends anyone. :razzdrunk:
                  • Agree Agree x 2
                  • Oct 29, 2010
                    Not sure what you were trying to quote there.

You seem to be getting very defensive over some criticism that you could be taking as constructive. There's absolutely no reason to make ridiculous threats of taking your business elsewhere when you've yet to provide any to start with.
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • May 25, 2012
                      There comes a point where one can pack pointless crap that can not be seen or not be compressed (Example of ZE maps #1, #2). Since you're making the map public, It would be wise to think of other servers. Smaller servers don't have the bandwidth availability that PlagueFest has or people perhaps don't have the fast connection as you do and simply ignore the map all together. You need to take this and other things into consideration.
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Mar 26, 2013
                        I'm sorry what? He really didn't get too offended, he was trying to reason why the map was a large. You are being a bit rude don't you think? He made a map that he thought you guys would like to try out and you come right in and insult him. He also didn't demand the map be put onto a server. He just put it there as an option.

But I do agree that criticism should be taken seriously, and not thrown out like most young mappers do
                      • Apr 9, 2012
                        Those who were familiar with the argue I had once with @GiGaBiTe at the time I was a complete beginner in mapping, they will probably remember kind of the same what is in this thread. I was mapping with the most horrible and bad-minded mappers' amibitions ever, back then I had no idea about any edict limit count, lightmaps, vertices/amount of polygons, performance in general, optimization, etc. I only had the creative aspect in mind which sadly not enough. That doesn't mean you did a bad job. You actually did a good job the bad way, frankly.

Without the need to teach you a lesson, I will go head on and simply suggest directly whatever you can do to lessen the filesize.

1) Unless not wanting to lose quality, find another night skybox which is FAR cheaper than the current one in filesize. A skybox is there to blend with the 'real' interactive world but that's where it ends. Players are not going to look one tiny second at the skybox to see if there is quality in it or not. A good skybox is actually unnoticeable, like a player doesn't notice it's 'not fitting' or actually being remarkable in a sort of way. Otherwise export all the current skybox textures into .tga and either resize them with GIMP or resave them into .jpeg and lower the quality filesize. Re-compile to the same names with the already existing .vmt's and you're good to go.

2) Assuming the map is quite small, use very less cubemaps. I have recently learned to accept that cubemaps are extremely filesize heavy and create over the needed amount of quality-expensive textures. I would suggest only using 1 cubemap per important area at once, which seems that you would only need a maximum of 3 of them. Notice that cubemaps are static, meaning a player will not notice real-time reflection while they pass by a certain place at a certain lentgh, so using cubemaps every 20 inches is not a good idea as it doesn't matter at all.

3) Music should always be 128kbps and very small in filesize. Use 44100Hz and compress with a significant amount of MB's. Sound quality never makes any sense when it comes to CS:S, especially ZM with unlimited ammo where no one will peacefully listen to the music, wheter there are many hightones or not (hightones indicate the quality of sound in general).

4) Lightmaps, in this small case, can freely be 16, but if it treatens mapsize anyways, up them at 24 or 32.

5) In night scemes, never use HDR. It makes no sense because HDR blurs between dark areas and daylight. So do not compile with HDR.

These are about all the useful suggestions I can give in this case. You are a mapper in progress for sure, though I do not know if you ever intend to create a map on your own from scratch :smile:? But there is absolutely nothing wrong with accepting criticism from other mappers even if it sounds as if they are trying to 'discourage' you from mapping. In the end if all the necessary fixes are done all the congratz will take place which are by then appropriate :wink:

Do not give up, and if possible, fix all of these. If you need help I will always offer my time!
                        • Winner Winner x 3
                        • Sep 24, 2012
                          Why do you continually compare me to yourself? You question the size of the map when you are of no authority and definitely of no use by doing so.
                        • Oct 29, 2010
                          Actually it was initially Kyle who questioned the size of the map, whom some would believe to be an authority of some sort, Sajak was simply helping explain why it was so large.

Unless you added a handful of bosses that I missed in my tour through your map, I don't think comparing it to the size of a ZE map does you much good.

I believe we usually aim for smaller file size when it comes to ZM maps, as they are much simpler than ZE maps, this is quite easy to do. Smaller file sizes for everything clients have to download make for a better gaming experience and is something we've held as true as possible to.
                          • Informative Informative x 1