Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_westwood_v1

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by Noodles, Feb 27, 2012

1. Feb 12, 2012
    So I decided to be that asshole and nominate this map, and got reamed by pubbers that this map sucked. And sure enough, it did. Like REALLY bad.

So decompiling a protected map, I lost some things: ladders (fixable), some of the physic overrides, and the signs (im not gonna bother looking for them again, deal with it).

Should be done within a few days...

New implementations (please feel free to request some more):
    -That retarded "fog" thing is gonna disappear. It looked disgusting.:thumbsup:
    -Environmental Lighting will have more depth to it. Brighter parts brighter, shaded parts darker. Make it a little better looking.:thumbsup:
    -Rooms will be reconstructed so they are actually tactical.:thumbsup:
    -Props will be housed in rooms accordingly
    - Possibly building the rooms/buildings that are empty.
    -Remove/add to that desert area thats off the map (not sure what to do with it yet)

Please feel free to comment!

EDIT:
    Looks like I fucked the map up somehow. Keep getting an hl2 error, I'm gonna start from scratch with this one.
    ETA is end of March.
  2. May 15, 2011
    Did you talk to the original mapper and get his permission to do this? I don't know if we're allowed to edit maps simply because of prettiness. We only edit maps to remove illegal spots, and no more than that. Since we don't own the maps.
  3. Feb 12, 2012
    de_westwood and zm_westwood are from 2 different people. Which person do I ask?
  4. Feb 11, 2012
    I don't see problem editing other peoples maps without permission. Mappers can protect maps better if they dont want own maps to be decompiled.
    Anyways overall map is fine except gameplay is horrible in zm_westwood.
    EDIT: Noodles ask moonlight
  5. May 15, 2011
    Wrong you little twat. Protecting your map is for steers and queers. Me, and most other mappers do not, and actually find it annoying when some paranoid fuck protects their map since it hinders our time when editing, and serves no purpose as ALL protections can be broken. We still want you to tell us if you are going to edit our maps. Just because we don't protect it doesn't mean you can start fucking our maps up and do whatever you want. Sure, when doing a quick edit of something for the server, like fixing illegal spots, it's not all that much cared about. But changing the map around because you feel it isn't good enough? That's practically taking the map for yourself and claiming it's yours. That's what we don't like. No one gives a fuck if the map is bad, if you don't have permission or a good reason, don't fuck with it. And editing something because, "It just isn't Fun~" Like a whiny fucking bitch doesn't cut it. So protection of a map is a load of horse shit since they can always be broken.

I looked it up, and the original mapper was banned. So he's probably inactive now. So go nuts.
  6. Jul 28, 2011
    I would love to see this tool which truly protects a map from decompiling!

(BTW, this tool doesn't exist!)
  7. Feb 11, 2012
    Aslong you give credits to original author, make map better, dont upgrade version without permission. The original author should be grateful for getting advertising and map being played even. Claiming map as their own work? :laugh:
  8. Feb 8, 2012
    If you do add some kind of secret port / weapon into it. I know some of us thrive on maps that add that kinda stuff. :clap:
  9. Feb 5, 2012
  10. Feb 12, 2012

Secrets will involve some research. I've never done crazy shit like that (prop guns, etc.) And after some looking, I'm gonna extend the map. It's too small for 64 people...
  11. Feb 21, 2007
    gid rid of that skinny ledge where everyone camps behind on the roofs. You could still make it a good spot, just needs more ways across, or removed completely and replaced with boxes and other obstacles to get across/slow zombies down
  12. Feb 12, 2012
    That's actually one of the best map decompiler for protected maps. I used it for this one..

Not sure what you mean, but I will look for that. The map has a lot of potential, even when retaining its old west-like theme (boxes, logs, etc.)
  13. Jan 8, 2012
  14. May 15, 2011

And why is it overboard?
  15. Oct 29, 2010
    I vehemently disagree with the fog being "retarded" and "disgusting". The fog adds an additional dimension to the gameplay to the map, for players and zombies must actually comb the map for spots/players instead of just locating them from hundreds of metres away. . .oh, and the map adds realism to the map.

If anything, I think more fog should have been added to the map. . .

Then again, it's just my opinion. And no longer play anyways.
  16. Feb 12, 2012
    Let me rephrase that: The "retarded" looking fog is going to disappear. It was in "sheets". I am using the smoke effect instead now. It's not as thick, but is darker.

Similar to my map, zm_panic_reloaded. There's a fog/smoke on the main spawn area
    • Like Like x 1