Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

zm_winterfun_b5a

Discussion in Completed Maps started by GiGaBiTe, Sep 22, 2013

1. Mar 26, 2009

This is zm_winterfun_b4 remade from scratch to fix the terrible brushwork that was causing the entire map to be rendered from everywhere else, resulting in awful frame rates. I didn't bother using areaportals in the remake because the frame rates were massively better (~200-300 vs. 30 or lower) and really weren't required.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Map updated to "b" version on 10/15/13

Changelog:

~Outside~
    - Lowered metal building roof 32 units and increased slope to make it more like the roof on the old map.
    - Added shelves to the metal building with the flipped truck.
    - Mostly fixed the weird lightmaps in the well.
    - Added secret somewhere.

~Inside~
    - Changed West entrance on conference room to have one door closed and added some shelves to make it easier for humans to hold.
    - Added alternate route from 3rd floor to second floor.
    - Misc. lightmap bug fixes.

~Underground~
    - In the room opposite the house, removed one block and made the wall ramps much narrower in attempt to make it easier for humans to hold. This area may change significantly in the future.
    - Added an additional small window to the house.

Known Bugs:
    - Cubemaps are broken (thanks Valve)
    - Iron bars on the well are part of the small roof model. The iron bars don't have a collision model so you can still go down the well.
    - Snow glitches through the ceiling in the metal building with sloped roof.
    - Possibly missing content due to packbsp errors, won't know for sure unless other users point out what's missing.

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/rumb3xhdytu42m8/zm_winterfun_b5b.zip
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
    • Like Like x 1
      GiGaBiTe, Sep 22, 2013 Last edited by GiGaBiTe, Oct 15, 2013
    • Feb 3, 2012
    • May 31, 2012
    • Mar 8, 2013
      this is more of a general criticism because I see it so often

I don't like how inconsistent the use of glitchable vs. unglitchable props is. in some areas you'll have the vendies and sofas be glitchable but not the bookcases, and vice versa in another section of the map.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 19, 2013
        Glitchable props are stupid IMO. Why have props if I can just float through them?
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Hey plz, explain me the difference between glitcheable props and unglitcheable? Because I believe it's merely the difference between how a prop_physics and a prop_physics_multiplayer works, but I can't be sure, because both behave differently.
      • Feb 27, 2012
        Glitchable (prop_physics_multiplayer) are props that you can kind of glitch/float through by jumping backwards through them. So you could have a cade of 2 book cases, 6 vending machines, and a money crate (god help us all if it was unglitchable) and you could just simply press e on the book case to get it to move a little, and you just have to start jumping through it. Eventually, you'll get through to the other side and stab the human(s).

Non-glitchable (prop_physics/prop_physics_override) are props that will stop you dead and you can get stuck in if they get shot on top of you. The only way to move them is by pressing e or shooting it. With these, you actually have to work together.

Basically in ZM, you SHOULD use them in certain situations on certain props so a cade isn't so OP. Like you might make the BookCases prop_physics/prop_physics_override, and the rest of the props prop_physics_multiplayer, just so that if you flip the book case over or something, you ACTUALLY have a chance to get in the cade spot.

Mappers all too often either make their props all one type of prop or the other, which either achieves extremely OP spots, or all spots being absolutely useless.
      • Mar 26, 2009

An example would be on the second floor with the television. In the old map you could barricade that spot and literally make it impossible for zombies to get in because they couldn't push the TV out of the way.

The same goes for the underwater room with the pylons, the barrels on the palette are glitchable to make it easier for zombies.

That doesn't work.

First, the split second after buildcubemaps is done, it deletes all of the materials in specified folder so I couldn't copy them even if I wanted to.

Second, all of the generated cubemaps are 32x32 solid black images.
      • May 31, 2012
        Oh, ok. When I did it for my maps and the cubemaps worked it must have been some kind of magical magic then. Also, I didn't tell in that gamebanana post to use the ones the game generates in your folder.
      • Oct 29, 2010

But seriously I haven't played this version yet so I'm just spouting nonsense.
      • Mar 26, 2009

Changelog:

~Outside~
        - Lowered metal building roof 32 units and increased slope to make it more like the roof on the old map.
        - Added shelves to the metal building with the flipped truck.
        - Mostly fixed the weird lightmaps in the well.
        - Added secret somewhere.

~Inside~
        - Changed West entrance on conference room to have one door closed and added some shelves to make it easier for humans to hold.
        - Added alternate route from 3rd floor to second floor.
        - Misc. lightmap bug fixes.

~Underground~
        - In the room opposite the house, removed one block and made the wall ramps much narrower in attempt to make it easier for humans to hold. This area may change significantly in the future.
        - Added an additional small window to the house.

Known Bugs:
        - Cubemaps are broken (thanks Valve)
        - Iron bars on the well are part of the small roof model. The iron bars don't have a collision model so you can still go down the well.
        - Snow glitches through the ceiling in the metal building with sloped roof.
        - Possibly missing content due to packbsp errors, won't know for sure unless other users point out what's missing.

Download:
        http://www.mediafire.com/download/rumb3xhdytu42m8/zm_winterfun_b5b.zip
        • Like Like x 2
          GiGaBiTe, Oct 15, 2013 Last edited by GiGaBiTe, Oct 15, 2013
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I see some fags uncalled, negative criticism and outright disrespect for you and your maps still resulted in a better map. Thanks for taking the time to bring the old classics to a higher visual standard. :thumbsup:
          • Like Like x 1
          • Mar 26, 2009
            Updated download links, if you downloaded the map, you need to re-download it again (forum broke download links.)