Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Zombie Escape Wiki - Complete Revamp

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, Nov 28, 2015

Do you like the current main page the wiki?

Yes 4 vote(s) 80.0%
Yes, but it could be improved 1 vote(s) 20.0%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Apr 9, 2012
    (TL;DR at the bottom)

I know that ZE has kind of faded away, at least on this community, and that it moved over to CS:GO, I know many of you probably don't give a single damn about the wiki, ok, fine. But, regardless, for those who were interested, or yet didn't know about its existance, now is a good time to re-introduce it:

[IMG](You can just click on the image to go to the wiki)

Before it was very basic, pretty much using nothing but basic HTML that is standard in editting, going no further than using images with links and embedding videos and using some simple templates. The main page looked like sh*t and I wasn't very proud of it.

I had quite some time this weekend, and I decided to finally get myself introduced into CSS/HTML (not the game, but the code). As a result, after only 3 days (if I say so myself :giggle:) the main page is now fully dynamic, at least in terms of navigation, while still not trying to overblow the user. I wanted it to be more dynamic when hovering over things as opposed to using insane GIFS or other stuff I've seen, most which are just over the top.

You can now navigate with the buttons to the most common categories who will show you their target as you hover over them. The layout now also makes use of the modern positioning with ads kept in mind, so there will be no offset items that look out of place.

MUCH information is narrowed down to the essentials, you will not need a full day now to read what is going on, especially in the rules section I brushed up a ton of useless and unprofessional text (It's probably not perfect yet, but it is tons better regardless).

With all this said, I hope that this will help users to understand and appreciate the wiki more, navigation should now be easier. You can always help us out on tons of map articles who yet require description or even a simple image upload.

Last but not least, I have taken full responsibility for the wiki's future and safety, having banned quite some annoying users who enjoyed trolling to the end. Even this post might bring in new ones, I don't know. Luckily the wiki has a rollback system where I can revert thousands of edits in just on single go per article that is being vandalised. I haven't had to deal with this since the past months, but almost a year ago this was becoming annoying (until I learned to protect the most important pages).

That's it. I hope that, regardless of the current state of ZE, you can still appreciate this change which is only in the benefit of Zombie Escape. I also hope to see some users surface with extra information that they know about (especially for maps?). If you are eager to learn some new things about ZE, the wiki is a great place to go!

TL;DR -> Entire wiki has been updated, given a new coat. Now uses CSS/HTML for more personalised coding. Now is easier to navigate.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Apr 9, 2012
      I also forgot to ask if people see a value in having a Zombie Mod wiki (no, it's impossible to merge both together). In that case I could just create a second wiki for that, and copy its design to be a child of it.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mar 26, 2012
        I visited the old one before trying to look up map items or secrets I didn't know, but I just can't remember what the old one looked like. I played ZE so much that I felt pretty familiar with the popular maps we played so didn't visit the Wiki frequently. The front page is very pretty and easy to navigate. Thank you for your time.

Edit: I started typing this before you asked about a ZM Wikipedia would be very good. Pointing out how to do map secrets, tricks, popular spot, and pitfalls (eg pressing a button that will kill you, getting stuck in a spot you can't get out). It would probably easier to write about ZM maps than ZE maps in my opinion. ZM is pretty static compared to ZE. I know a lot of ZM maps and could contribute to that part of the Wiki.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Apr 18, 2014
          Welp, i pretty much know all the secrets of all maps, theres only 1/2 that idk, so if i can help, just call me(on my cellphone jk).
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Thank you for your kind comment. It's true that in the end, few map articles really reveal all that much new information. It is mostly targetted towards newer players (at least at the time) and with the introduction of CS:GO and its popularity growing, the wiki still has that one last function for those who play there. I spent the entire past 2 days learning CSS and rendering my own design in 3DS Max to gain the current layout, so I'm glad you like it!

A ZM wiki is definitly doable. It wouldn't take me more than a day to raise it and get it running with the required templates, however for now I will focus on other things first. I can guarantee to raise the wiki by next weekend. I will write out the ruling regarding the map templates and stuff, but it's really easy to understand so in general everyone should be able to contribute.

A wiki has good advantages in that it can contain tons of information with all the tools necessary to display it. Especially guides are a great extra, and I'm still feeling guilty that I never pushed that enough on ZE. We could have a maps guide section on the ZM wiki which could really be useful for showing tricks, spots, and also for registering illegal spots.
        • Jan 3, 2013
          Very nice ideas here. Double thumbs up for supporting this.:thumbsup::thumbsup:Hope there are things maybe I can contribute in.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Omfg I just realised there is already someone who created the Zombie Mod Wiki, but it looks FUCKING HORRIBLE. I don't want to contribute to it because if I can't change the CSS it will just look bland. It has 2 pages, for real... I'm gonna see if I can adopt the wiki. Otherwise I'll have to invent an 'unofficial' zombie wiki.

EDIT: I will probably be able to adopt the wiki as the founder has been inactive for over 2 years, as well as that there are literally no contributions made ever since.
          JorisCeoen, Nov 29, 2015 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Nov 29, 2015