Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

ZombieMod: Extended

Discussion in News started by Kyle, Sep 27, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2007

For over two years now, I've been working on and off on a plugin set I'm calling ZombieMod: Extended. The goal of the set is to be a complete run time modular replacement of Zombie:Reloaded by Greyscale (and Richard later on), which was an Open-Source replacement for ZombieMod by C0ld, which was forked from the open-source release of NemoD by Fysh in 2005. I've had to take many breaks from working on the plugin set due to really old (non-valve) bugs in SourceMod's Logic; some of them were quite challenging to fix and took months (one in fact took over a year) of time/investigating. This allowed ZME development to continue onwards, whereas before using core parts of the SM API would result in memory corruption. There were at least 9 bugs that blocked the development of ZME, and I'm happy to say they're fixed (for everyone using SourceMod). SourceMod at the moment still has a few lingering crash bugs, but it's at the point where ZME development can continue in full force.

Over the last month, I've been sprinting on ZME again, writing tons of Modules. In the last month, the code size has grown over 2x. We're sitting pretty at 8.2K lines, but I suspect the point before we're able to replace ZR it's going to be about 10K. Thanks to @Seeker and @dillinger for doing some preliminary testing with me, we found a few bad bugs early on two week ago. There are still some lingering bugs, and unimplemented features, as a few of you discovered when we live tested it on ZM tonight.

The only gotcha about the development of this is unless if copious amounts of Alcohol are consumed, the base is pretty confusing and can trap you quite easily. Everything is hookable, and totally hackable, which is what Zombie:Reloaded tried for slightly with zr-dev, except it was still one big compiled binary. With everything in this being in run time, instead of unloading the whole suite, I can live add a plugin that adds frost grenade capability without reloading any other plugins, losing their states. It's quite wonderful what has happened, and I can happily say due to the nature of the SourceMod bugs, no one else has ever been able to do this without a SourceMod Extension (or crazy hacks, neither of which have ever been made public). @Aprz, @Tony the Tiger!! :grin: and others seemed to indicate a dramatic clientside performance improvement, and subsequently server side framerate improvement.

Some changes include class specific ammo settings, Team Preference, Generic Player/Health display (extremely similar to the old ZR Team/Health display), Mother Zombie class Selection, and many more things.

If you have a feature requests, let me know in this thread and I'll let you know if they're already implemented, give you a reason as to why it can't be, or write the module and add it in. Anything is welcome, seriously.

We've been pretty quiet for a while on the actual game mode front. I figured you guys should know what exactly has been going on all these years now that the suite of plugins have been live tested. The goal of the project is to replace Zombie:Reloaded, which is what we moved to before everyone else did early 2010. As well to this, a huge monumental thanks to everyone who helped test ZME tonight.

There are big changes coming to ZombieMod, and in my opinion, they're wonderful.
    • Wizard! x 11
    • Like x 9
    • Friendly x 2
    • Good Idea x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I really enjoyed the testing tonight. From what works right now, i love it, and i especially love the performance increases. That will be good on intensive maps, and maybe make it easier on mapper for optimization of their maps. Excellent work so far Kyle! Really hope all goes well with this, and it does replace ZR some day! :grin:
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Jul 17, 2012

I hope this will go to Zombie Eacape too. Sometimes it really needs the better performance. Atm I can't imagine any new features, if some come through my mind I'll tell here.

Good work Kyle, looking forward to another live-test.
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
          ColdZero, Sep 27, 2013 Last edited by ColdZero, Sep 28, 2013
        • Feb 8, 2013
          Good job Kyle and the others included. Sounds pretty cool. I'll be looking forward to this.

[IMG]
          (swear to god I just found this on google...)
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Apr 9, 2012
            Wow, this sounds extremely good! Will this plugin be made public, or be used to encourage more players to PF?

Great work Kyle!
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • May 31, 2012
              Have you considered backwards compatibility with Z:R cvars? I'm asking it for maps that happen to have them embedded.
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Dec 27, 2012
                Sorry @retslag1, I think Kyle just stole my heart.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Apr 3, 2013
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Feb 3, 2012
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Apr 1, 2012
                      Having features that the old Zombie Plague back in 1.6 would be awesome. Things like Survivor and Nemesis, human items like bazooka + jetpack, sawn off shotgun (m3 with 3000 damage per shot and unlimited clip), etc etc are all what made ZP in 1.6 good. There are also zombie items like infection grenades, zombie rage(immunity to damage and knockback for 3 seconds

Also, good luck and may everything run smoothly. Can't wait to play it!
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Jun 19, 2013
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Apr 15, 2010
                        • May 15, 2011
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Feb 27, 2012
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • Apr 9, 2007
                              Everything is based on classes, I'm not sure this is going to be 100% possible. A few I could glue back in, though. Which cvars do you use?
                            • May 31, 2012
                              I believe most of us just try to control spawntimes/ratios/respawn enabling/disabling and then class modify at times. I've gone through my config files and taboo (which is, from my maps, the one to use more cvars/commands) has:

zr_infect_mzombie_ratio "7"
                              zr_infect_spawntime_max "12"
                              zr_infect_spawntime_min "12"
                              zr_infect_mzombie_respawn "1"
                              zr_respawn "1"
                              zr_respawn_delay "1"
                              zr_respawn_team_zombie "1"
                              zr_respawn_team_zombie_world "1"

zr_class_modify zombies health 2 1

zr_restrict smokegrenade
                              zr_restrict flashbang
                              zr_unrestrict nvgs

EDIT: Also, as for a 'new' request (and assuming this plugin would compete with Z:R and it'd spread to other servers), I'd be grateful myself if the 'auto-respawn' that has to be done via plugins in Z:R was built in into it. I never understood why Z:R didn't include it.
                              • Informative Informative x 1
                              • Aug 20, 2012
                                • Grenade effects
                                • Grenade limitation (normal buy or zmarket)
                                • Decapitation of zombies (or dismemberment)
                                • Round restart (rr) compatibility
                                • Bodygroups per class (enable or disable parts)
                                • Repeat kill detector
                                • Ability to configure the ambient sounds of screams
                                • Weapon limitation (example: 1 awp per team)
                                • Limit the !zadmin command only for roots
                                • Unify the file models.txt and playerclasses.txt?
                                • Teleport zombie to other zombie on the respawn after death? (block kill afk and the maps without teleports)
                                • Zombie speed in spawn.
                                • Like Like x 2
                                • Informative Informative x 1
                                  Morell, Sep 29, 2013 Last edited by Morell, Sep 29, 2013
                                • May 31, 2012
                                  I was thinking of something today which perhaps might be useful for mappers (and it'd make this ZombieMod far more interesting, at least to me); adding a few commands with their target(s) being targetnames like zme(assuming prefix?)_infecttname, zme_humantname and (because the modelindex trick isn't really cool as it doesn't update the hitboxes and I'd really fancy a map with zombies becoming bunnies) zme_modeltname. Along with this last one, perhaps a zme_resetmodels might be interesting too.

I understand that the model ones are a bit out of what a zombie plugin should/could have, but I feel two targetname-targetted commands could be interesting at times (zombiefying weapons/antidotes, horde/survival events, all players but one becoming humans to fight a zombie-controlled boss -that might have solved a puzzle-...)
                                • Feb 27, 2012
                                  zr_infect name
                                  zr_human name

Unless you meant something entirely different.
                                  • Like Like x 1
                                  • May 31, 2012
                                    They're not for entity targetnames but for normal player names (or any targetting system SM supports) I believe.