Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Computer Build Progress

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Anathema, Apr 10, 2012

1. May 14, 2011
    Maybe you understood me wrong. I ment prioritise airflow over design. If your gunna spend money, buy better fans rather than cable sleeving. After all you don't buy a computer to look at it, you buy a computer to use it.
  2. Jan 10, 2009
    sleeving is also for better airflow + cable management. plus if you have a windowed case it looks good.

it may be excessive but if you have already dropped 2000$+ on your build why not sleeve your cables. for the added benefits?

warranties?? if you are talking about watercooling already then warranties go bye-bye. unless you use companies that allow removal of their parts.

again the function over form thing. it accomplishes both. just have a look at my case and the inside.

i technically have no need to sleeve. but since its modular it will make it easier so why not. plus look that the bottom right of the second picture. if i sleeve that it wouldnt be yellow but a color that would match my case/theme.

now dont get me wrong. you can take the i have a legit build just beigebox or you can do all of that extra stuff and doublely wow people. just my two pennies.
  3. Jan 10, 2009

yeah you are buying it to use it but why not make it look nice? people do the same shit to their cars/houses just saying that argument went out the window.

also no disrespect meant. you have a valid point and are giving the other side of the argument. but let me point you to this thread.. here -> Watercooling club and picture thread look at a few of the pages near the end and the middle. most of this is for no reason at all really. just for the aesthetics.

and also direct your attention to here Case Mods & Cases the same thing applies to this sub-forum. most things here are done either for aesthetics or to improve on case design. or to match a theme they would like.

i really forgot the reason for this post. we both have valid points.
    brownieapple, May 2, 2012 Last edited by brownieapple, May 2, 2012
  4. May 14, 2011
    I put led stripes outside my case under the mesh and everyone goes wow anyway. My friends who know about computers go wow at the specs and my friends who know nothing say wow at the LEDs. Its a WIN, WIN situation for me.

EDIT: I guess its 2 against 1 here so im bound to lose but saying sleved cables make your PC aero dynamic of something is just WOW. :O

Cable Sleeving is for those who buy a PC for bragging rights and post pics of it online and show it to friends. You don't sleeve for better air flow, honestly.

Just making a point that a better fan for $20 will be more effective for air flow than a $20 sleeving kit, if you manage cables properly there should just be connectors round the front anyway.

Now stop the flame cause you know what i just wrote there is the truth.
    Ghost, May 2, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, May 2, 2012
  5. Jan 10, 2009

no i never said it made it more aerodynamic . i meant it allowed for improved cable management which provides better airflow.

yes adding a fan will help. i never said you were wrong about that. i was just arguing my side. which i said multiple times we are both correct.

what is wrong with bragging rights? even without my fancy case and fancy watercooling i still have a computer spec wise that could be for bragging rights. but i did everything in my build because a) i like the hardware i was putting in it. b) i wanted to protect said hardware to the best of my ability hence the watercooling. c) because it looks rad in the end while performing better than on air.

flame off. :wink:
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    @Ghost1995 Sorry for the misinterpretation of my meme post, it's all in good fun. Also, it's not really bragging rights, but more of a self-hobby, even though 99.9999% of the world doesn't see it. And @brownieapple , I watched his sleeving videos, they are very interesting, but that'd take me upwards of 30+hours to sleeve everything I have. I might just sleeve fan cables and the red SATA cables I have, but that's about it. I'll leave the rest to Corsair. Though, I won't even need to buy their $89 premium individual sleeved wires because the default ones are a nice all black design.

EDIT: about the "adding more fans" thing, many veterans on Tom's Hardware will kill you for saying that lol. Your case only needs a certain amount of fans for the amount of hot air that's generated in your case, and the intake of air coming into the case. Adding uneeded wattage stress to your PSU to needlessly blow air around your case is useless.

Found a sexy case with red & black cables
    [IMG]

Another case with red + blue accents that actually look decent (hard to pull off IMO):
    [IMG]

Don't even look like it's plugged in!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      Brett, May 2, 2012 Last edited by Quietly Yell, May 2, 2012
    • May 14, 2011
      I have a Cooler-master non-modular PSU and its all just stuffed down the back in my 1 spare hdd slot. I don't want to sleeve because it will void my 5/7 year PSU warranty. I have to admit i need a bigger case, If i ever get round to doing a photo shoot you will see. If anything i would buy a few pre-sleeved cables to have a professional look.

I guess i rather lost my passion of computers after my last upgrade because i have run out of things to upgrade. I guess before i lost all that passion i would be on the other side of the argument atm. :grin:
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Dec 6, 2011
        That's basically the problem for me. I need a FULLY modular PSU, with a nice cable design as well, since there's a smaller-than-usual amount of room behind my motherboard for tucking away cables, especially since I have 3 separate PSU cables running to my 2 SSD's and HDD
      • Jan 10, 2009
        lol i don't have much to upgrade if anything for a while really. but now i'm looking to modding my case. just moving on to another project basically to keep my self busy. lol
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • May 14, 2011
          @Quietly Yell Ive broken the back of my case there's so little space lol, the rails for sliding the back panel in are bent and it is currently budging. I have used pliers to expand my case and cut massive chuncks of steel out. My case is waaaay too small for my requirements.

@brownieapple Spending money just for the sake of keeping yourself busy, haha i remember when i was like that, saving every cent to upgrade my PC. <3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Basically what PC enthusiasts are. There are those who just slap some shit together to play the latest games, then there's those hobbyists that have to mod every inch of their case because it's something they enjoy to do ^^
            • Like Like x 2
            • Jan 10, 2009
              well i'm done with the hardware now its just for looks. though i have no real plans as of now except some very minor things. like taking some mesh out and adding a plexi window.
              plus i have other equally expensive hobbies and my money is getting poured into those now no longer my computer :wink: :heart:

hammer meet nail head.
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Honestly man I wish you would've gone with another case =P You can't even put any sound dampening foam on the Lanboy :thinking:
            • Jan 10, 2009
              i don't need it. i barely hear my fans when i have my music on. or when i'm playing a game.!!
            • Dec 6, 2011
              I love the fans that have the deep low roar and sound like a car's engine =P Pretty much how my 180mm Air Penetrator's are at 100%, and yet I still can barely hear them.
            • Nov 2, 2010
              I gotta say man, I love your plan. I was gonna order a GTX 690 last week, then I heard rumors about the 700 series, so I flunked it for the one I have, which should last me past the next games that are released. As for the Win7 Ultimate, Good idea, but Win8 is coming out and that is going to be 100x more efficient than win7. As for your CPU, if you love it that's good. But Intel is going to be releasing a new CPU line soon which will dominate anything that is on the current market, except the Xeon (not everyone has several thousand dollars for a CPU built for servers or data networking). Good job on the computer, I bet she runs like a mofo :razz:.

*EDIT* As for your suggestions for the two above, I would think THIS would be boss, or THIS. I already have a expensive as fuck Coolermaster heatsink that I don't want to even bother replacing for years, not worth the price tag (ridiculous for how much it was when I got it in 2010). As for those TWO at the top. Do some research on both of them, and come to a conclusion for which will best suit your system the best.

Ps. I don't know anything about watercooling, so someone else will have to help you out with that one. Heatsinks I know however :smile:.
              NightFury, May 4, 2012 Last edited by NightFury, May 4, 2012
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Go for whatever, I'd say anything Noctua, they make the best fans. Though it seems the better they get, the uglier in color they get as well >.<

Or, to replace the copy of windows you WERE going to buy, you can just grab the H100 or H80 for a temporary closed loop. That way everybody wins.
            • Feb 18, 2011
              @NightFury, what is the difference between the two fans other than color and size of fans? Because the bigger one is less expensive which confuses me.

@Quietly Yell, I looked at both the H100 and H80.. You think they will fit inside? I'ma take a picture and upload it in a min so I can get an idea of what I can fit on there.
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Let me know what case you have first off.

That picture came quick.... still waiting on it >.<

And also, for the H80, that thing just sits on your 120mm exhaust fan (only if it's a 120mm ofc), and it also comes with 2 fans. It's 120mm x 38mm, so just measure in your case, though I'm pretty positive you'll be able to fit it. The H100 is going to be 240mm x 25mm, a little thinner but one 120mm fan larger. It comes with 2, 120mm fans. Both are closed loop, both are great for temporary watercooling (especially for a LGA 2011 CPU). Then down the road in a year or something, when you want to water cool everything, just pop it off, and use it for something else.