Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Dr. Dre Beats Headphones = Scam

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by s3th, Apr 10, 2012

1. Aug 1, 2011
    I'm sorry if it came across that way. I did not mean to say that they were the maker's of the smart phone or the PC. I push that Apple helped revolutionize the product and made it into something that works.
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    lol even $180 is too much... I'm not a headphone fan myself, they hurt my ears and noise cancelling with them doesn't work, at all. Isolating earphones on the other hand, are very good at noise cancellation & sound quality, and I can wear them forever without my ears bitching in pain. I've tried a lot of headphones too, big comfy ones, though nice at first, man, bad after long periods. 'nother perk to isolating earphones is because they're so 'suctioned' to your ear hole, none of the sound escapes, so one you don't lose anything & get a rich/tight bass, and two no one around you can hear JACK SHIT, and vice versa, you can't hear them. It's actually annoying at times cause the person wearing them is completely unresponsive to your yelling until they actually make eye contact / see you. If anyone's interested in earphones, shure is a good start. Different sized / types of 'foamies' to fit your ear as well (if you think these feel _anything_ like those shitty ipod earbuds or similar that come with mp3's I will punch you)
  3. Sep 26, 2010

[IMG]

came from this

[IMG]

I.e. bits from the cow that contain high concentrations of incredibly dangerous microbes, so plants used ammonium hydroxide (poison) to ensure the "meat" was somewhat edible. Long story short, this shit wouldn't even pass for dog or cat food but Americans had been consuming it for years. McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Burger King do not (supposedly) use this anymore because of a large public outcry emanating from Jamie Oliver and productions like "Food Inc."

As you can see, you can literally market a "shitty" product and sell it to people.
  4. Jan 12, 2011
    This; I think we should get back on topic. I understand that Apple products were brought up originally as a comparison, but I think the thread is getting a bit hung up on who meant what in whoever's posts. Let's leave each to their own opinions, hold our corrective tongues, and get back to comparing headphones to other headphones.

For me, I've used a fairly ordinary-looking set of $15 headphones made by Koss. They don't go in your ears or wrap around them, they just rest on your head with foam padding over the speakers on either side. What's interesting is that they have AMAZING sound fidelity. Granted, they do relatively little to block out surrounding noise (due to the simple design), but in a quiet room it has a surprising depth to them in playing music. It hits the highs and lows (and deep lows) quite well and I've impressed many of my friends when they pull a chair up to listen to my music. I can't really compare to the Dre Beats headphones (since I've not even heard of them) but if some of the other higher-tier headphones are similar, my Koss headphones seem to be a pretty capable match according to my friends. Also, they are quite reliable, having lasted me for more than 4 years now. I'm not sure why they are so awesome, but I'm quite happy to have them. :grin:
  5. Jun 4, 2006
    Well, expectations are one thing, but whether or not you can is pretty evident. Not only can they sell it, but they can do it with an insane markup. Countless products currently available prove this, dre phones being one of them. You call these earphones accurate?

[IMG]

datbass.

Granted his HEADphone line is a little better, but still no where near the price tag they sit at, nor the discounted craigslist prices (do you wonder why they're on craigslist in the first place?), sheesh yo!
  6. Oct 27, 2010
    I use head-phones all the time. I don't have speakers (Well I do, a shitty pair for when I watch a movie in my room with a girl or whatever) and I don't have a television, just my computer and computer monitor. They're a lot of good headphones out there at a lot of different price ranges. Bose, Beats, Skullcandy are all things you want to avoid unless you want to look cool, as is the want of those who buy them. I've spent more on headphones than the average person but I think it's a rather justifiable expense; if it's something you use for the majority of the day, every day, why not get a better quality that will last for longer.

The best sounding headphones I have is a set of Sennhieser HD 650's. They don't sound like someone farting in a microphone and you can wear them for 20 hours and be none the wiser (Also they look cooler then any of those popular stylized brands :nerd:)
    [IMG]

You can replace every nearly every part of the headphone should they get worn out without having to buy a new pair and they're made of Kevlar so good luck in breaking them. They cost way more than a good sounding pair of Sony headphones but they're more comfortable, better sounding, and will undeniably last 20-30 years with little issue.( I also have a set of UE11pros that I use when I'm not in the house. I love them)
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    SHIT! $500?? I'm not crazy over headphones, I'd rather settle for a $50 pair and use the $500 for a GTX 680... mmm...
  8. Feb 18, 2011
    Apple is for people with little to no computer knowledge whatsoever. Perfect examples are the people from my area (suburbia) come with broken/infected Apple products asking "UHHUHUUHUHUH WTF APPLE DIS NO HAPPEN I HAS WARRURNTEH!"
    Microsoft is for people who are also dumb, with a population of people that have common sense.
    Before someone bursts period blood all over this thread any further than it has already, I said it is MEANT for, just because you buy it doesn't mean you apply. My nextdoor neighbor uses Apple products and he works at a tech agency.

Apple is over-priced but it's hardware and software go hand in hand on purpose because they took the approach of making software AND hardware.
    Billiam decided 'lul fuck that just code shit' which lead to all the famous hardware producers now.

Different fucking paths, different fucking opinions. We argue in a circle over the same thing of whats better and base it on opinion. Agree to disagree.
  9. Feb 1, 2011
    First off I'd just like to say how hilarious it is that ya'll are hating on each other so much for being in one camp or the other (Apple or PC). The whole Apple thing has been beaten to a lifeless pulp over the years and I'm still amazed how much RAGE it produces in you nerds.

That aside, I would definitely never buy Dre Beats headphones. They're made for hip-hop so the audio spectrum is all fucked as you can see in Brian's picture. And they're overpriced to hell and back.

I use AKG K702 reference headphones:

[IMG]

They are extremely accurate and the most comfortable non-earbuds I've ever worn. $250 price tag if I remember correctly, but they'll certainly take you further than those Beats. I've had them for going on 2 years now, and the only thing I had to replace was the cable because I ran over it with my computer chair so many times. Luckily the cable is unpluggable / replaceable and replacement cables only cost ~$30. The headphones themselves are still in near mint condition. I've definitely abused them and pushed the volume way too high many times but the speakers haven't started to wear out. Highly recommend them if you're looking for a solid set of professional quality headphones.
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    Basically what it is. People can go on for hours about this stuff, and talk about how Apple is over-priced and what not, but honestly, I'm just going to let people be people. I only go off when I have idiots try to explain to me that Apple is better than PC because the desktop "looks cooler", or it's "faster". LOL.
  11. Nov 2, 2010
    I was gonna buy Beats By Dre. But when I saw the price and what they are. I just flipped it over for some Sennheiser 800's, best thing I ever bought, period.
  12. Oct 29, 2010

Absolutely did not care for them. Very cheap feel for a $400 pair of headphones. The glossy surface is Valhalla for fingerprints & smudges. . .

I personally have a pair of Grado SR125's.
    [IMG]
    Admittedly, it's not for everyone. . .and it looks very bland (I'd rather its profile be low-key). And comfort leaves much to be desired.

But the sound. THE SOUND. The SR125's produce absolute orgasmic sound for my ears. . .sound is soo rich. . .

I'd remove the iPhone analogy.

But yes, those headphones. . .all form, nil function.
  13. Oct 29, 2010
    I did pay for mine lol but not from a store, my friend ended up selling his 800's only had them for a month. So he asked me and I kindly approved, seeing that it's worth $1499. I only paid $750. Over here everything costs more than America... And because we have such a 'good' economy, we have huge minimum wages. Like minimum for an 18+ year old is $16.50, or somewhere up from there. And that's for part-time. I got paid $25 p/hour working at a gas station. I'll miss the good pay over here when I move to America... :/
  15. Mar 12, 2008

lol. you tell ME.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Mar 6, 2012
      So conclusion, Beats headphones fucking blow, most people still hates apple, go get some Seinnheiser headphones.

Thanks guys for contributing! :]
    • Feb 14, 2012
    • s3th
      This message by s3th has been removed from public view. Deleted by s3th, Apr 11, 2012, Reason: USELESS.
      Apr 11, 2012
    • Nov 11, 2011
      TL;DR: People who have money will buy them anyways. I have a Logitech G330 headset and they were fucking amazing for 40$. The build quality is high grade, they are light and comfortable, the bass and treble are on point. Also coming from the electrical and computer engineering profession, all these high-end headphones cost pennies on the dollars to produce. They have very similar setups in terms of schematics (amplifiers, resistors, etc). It all comes down to how they are mafucatured, advertised and who they are sponsored by. That's what sells, and idiots will buy them. Brian, let me know how you liked yours :ROFL: :heart: