Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Map Cycling

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by ck27, Jan 12, 2007

  1. Dec 30, 2006
    Hey this is my idea to get the maps from becoming old and the regulars loosing interest. I think we should make like 3-5 groups of 15-25 maps that are enjoyable with like 5 good ones in each cluster. We switch between the map lists every month so when we get sick of the maps that are cycled through we just start a new group. If this makes sense you can reply.
  2. Jan 12, 2007
    Good call.
  3. Jan 7, 2007
    was playing last night and when the votemap came up there was no extend 15 mins.

    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    that is all
  4. Dec 30, 2006

    Sorry to disappoint you but its not the short term maps. Its the long term getting sick of we are trying to avoid. There will still be extending. Its more for the regulars liek the admins and players that are there every day. Re read my post its in months.
  5. Jan 7, 2007

    oh well lol ill still play.

    how come ruined city never shows up anymore? i love that map
  6. Jan 5, 2007
    Well here are the latest versions of the ones Im working on. They both have 48 spawns, although at this point platform might be too small to hold that many, but you never know. XD

  7. Jan 6, 2007
    ace was the 'touching yourself at night' really necessary? :huh:
  8. Jan 7, 2007
    check the new maps thread for one i uploaded. unless its one you have already put to rest, it could be a nice addition
  9. Jan 11, 2007
    I know this topic is pretty old... but the more I think about this idea, the more I like it. A lot of the maps that I hate (eg. lila_winter, de_supermarket, lila_panic, lila_bad_neighbours...) have come from the fact that I have over-played them. Some of them have fatal flaws, such as the impossible-to-overcome human camping spots on de_simpsons, but most are still fun in small doses. If we were to cycle maps on a monthly basis, the old maps would become new again at every monthly rotation.

    It would also be a good idea to make sure that every cycle of maps has a variety of different types of maps (for example, most of the lilla maps have a similar style: small intense battlefields with some basic structures. Thus a mapcycle consisting of all 'lila'-style maps might get dull after a while...)

    We could make sure that each monthly rotation of 15-25 maps contains a variety of different maps, for example we make sure that each monthly rotation has a couple of maps from each of the following categories:
    1) A couple 'lila'-style maps (eg: lila_winter, lila_bad_neighbours, lila_panic, ...)
    2) Some larger, more graphics intensive maps (eg de_thematrix, de_apehouse, de_walmart, de_lost...)
    3) Some of those silly maps or maps with interesting features (eg. de_tower_of_terror, de_hauntedhouse (?), de_holdout...)
    4) Possibly even one or two original CSS maps (eg cs_assault and de_port are both fun as zombie maps... in small doses)

    In that way, although I may not enjoy lila maps, or another player may not have a fast enough computer to handle the graphics-intensive maps, in any given month you would be guarenteed of liking some 70% of the available maps on rotation, and could certainly bear through the other 30% of the maps that you may not like... Although ther would never be a month where you liked all the maps in the rotation, conversely, there would never be a month where you hated all the maps in the rotation... This would probably lead to better player-retention on plaguefest. After all, a month is a long time, and if a given player were to hate any given monthly rotation worth of maps, they may look elsewhere for their regular zombie mod server.