Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

WTF Happened To The Server?

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Remove_Kebab/Mooseknuckle, Sep 30, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 17, 2007
    No, barely even reality. In fact we've tried other ideas, brought up new ones. But in the end it just wasn't feasible. You can't just snap your fingers and magically make these idea happen. It takes ppl that actually know to doing the coding for these idea, and there is only two or three staff members that know how to do that. Unfortunately / fortunately they have lives a family to take care. They don't have the time, or desire to come up with all that coding anymore. So there's a lot more to it than "incompetent staff" and you lashing out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Zing! Zing! x 1
    • Jul 13, 2008
      I think they all left cos I was shooting a cade in my 'Wank room' fuck you all and have a good life...... wankers...... (and a special one for Bross....) WANKER!!!!!!!!!!!
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Nov 20, 2013
        fucking spot retard as fuck, stupid doc cading that shit every fucking round
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Dec 17, 2007
          • Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Oct 7, 2019
            Coding? Last time I set up and manged several CSS servers GG, CAL, DM & ZM) it was a matter of knowing your way around a directory hierarchy, a decent FTP client, a text editor and common sense. Not rocket science at all. Time-consuming, yes. But once going not much to add maps, change and tweak settings. Put up a poll and see what people really want, or claim to want. Maybe I'll rent slots for whatever it is, set it up and see if it flies.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Dec 17, 2007
              A lot of pF is custom made, meaning that one to three individuals actually did the coding for the servers themselves, not to mention the website.
              • Zing! Zing! x 1
              • Jun 8, 2019
                this server died with bowling-bastard. RIP big guy.
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Oct 7, 2019
                  Hmmm, seems like there may be some missed opportunities here in the Steam Group. Maybe not. 3,600 members, 540 of them online, and 41 in game (somewhere other than Plaguefest). Food for thought.

plaguefest steam community
                  Post Merged, Oct 10, 2021
                  Could be that when the snow flies, folks will seek out some cheap fun. Could be a dead horse on a hot summer day, starting to turn. ;-)
                • May 31, 2012
                  I use to smack talk to the management here, but when I got a chance to try things on my own I did learn that a lot of things are a easier said than done especially if you want it to be sustainable and stable. I mean... if a server dies out like 15 years later and people are all like "Yeah! I told you so! I knew it would die. Dumb management." Real clever...

I think they did a pretty good job. Sure: Whenever you use hindsight it's very easy to point out a few missed opportunities and areas that could have improved, but without it and considering the practicalities/resources of the time... I think it would have been very hard to do much better.
                  • Friendly Friendly x 3
                  • Oct 25, 2012

Welllllll there's a few reasons why i stopped actively playing life etc
                  • Dec 17, 2007
                    You know everyone on here bitching and crying. Yelling out dumb management and staff let the server die. Fail to realize that pF has lasted a lot longer than 99% of other communities. pF was started 15 YEARS AGO, most of you were in elementary school, and pF is still here. Don't bad mouth the community and the staff when you can't even see the bigger picture!
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • Artistic Artistic x 1
                    • Sep 20, 2021
                      For a while I also thought management was just lazy and didn't care to expand or try to keep pF alive, but seeing how trends have been I think I understand. Non e-sports communities/clans are on the wayside and zombie mod (even zombie escape) have been declining in popularity in CS:S and even CS:GO. This can be proved by checking how many servers of ZM/ZE are full/occupied for either game. The lack of a demographic makes a revival an uphill battle.

Even if those obstacles were minor, the time commitment needed to rejuvenate the community is likely too much for the staff/management to consider worthwhile. As mentioned earlier, pF has existed as a community for 15 years. The people who were here from the beginning that might be able to revamp the community have no interest to because they have families, jobs, and lives that are better endeavors than a video game community. I wouldn't be too surprised if the server shuts down within a year or two.

That's what I think at least, I can be wrong. :footinmouth:
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Dec 17, 2007
                        You hit it right on the point. Also what ppl don't understand, is a lot of the server is coding done by Kyles and Brian. Honestly to start up a new server with a new game, would endless hours of coding and testing in order for it to get done. Something ppl are just willing to do anymore bc of other life commitments.
                      • Feb 8, 2013
                        You guys were a big part of my life for the few years. Been out of the loop all together, but I would occasionally pop my head in to check on the health of the community and it seems it has finally deteriorated and that's O.K. because all good things must, eventually, come to an end. Even with our differences in the past, I'm happy we were able to walk this journey together. Very sad to see y'all go, but hopefully certain parts of this remains, so we all can recall and enjoy the good memories. Best wishes!
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • terato
                          This message by terato has been removed from public view. Deleted by Aphilion, Oct 17, 2021, Reason: Yea not needed. Plz change your attitude thx..
                          Oct 16, 2021
                        • May 6, 2012
                          Hi, i'm back because google claimed my password on this site was "compromised" so I updated it and it reminded me of the good old days playing here...

Honestly... can't we have a special event? Send an email to all the old account on the forum and claim next weekend or so...
                          Walk back into memory lane, come back and play on plaguefest for a weekend...

I am sure a lot of player for nostalgia sake, would come back... and it would revive it for a few weeks.
                          This isn't a solution, all good thing must come to an end... but I would love another go at pF
                          I'll jump by the server later this week for sure.
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Dec 17, 2007
                            If you wish to set up an event you can go here "set up event" in order to do that. It'll appear in the forums and we'll put a message out in discord for anyone that wants to join in on it.
                          • Dec 27, 2012
                            To me, it's pretty crazy that pF is still up and going and even more so that people are still making threads here. Who knows for how much longer.
                          • Sep 21, 2020
                          • Oct 7, 2019
                            Only need one player anyway ya wankers! lol That's Bubbles on the pile. bored
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • Apr 26, 2015
                              For real, this game is fucking old and so is this mod. It could have died in 2014 after a run of 8 years but its still up for people to play. I don't think there are too many communities that have been around this long for a mod.

If we want to get people on we just need to do events.
                              • Like Like x 1
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.